Dang Focus

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mamiata1, Jan 28, 2014.

1. mamiata1

mamiata1 Active Member

I'm without my Fiesta ST (again) as my son's car wouldn't start again this morning in the -10F weather. This is the third time it has happened and that car's got about 3 bottles of water remover (isopropyl alcohol) in it. I'm thinking the fuel filter probably has water and/or slush and ice in it. I bought a new fuel filter but I need to move the car into the garage before I can reasonably think about replacing it. And therefore I need to start it.

The last two times this happened I was able to eventually get it going by pointing a space heater under the car for an hour or so. It's so bloody cold out there that I'm not sure it's even worth the effort today. Why isn't this water remover doing it's job? I suspect it's related to the amount of water in the fuel system. It's a 2002 and my son typically waits until the low fuel light comes on to THINK about maybe buying some gas.

Right now I've got about 3 gallons of gas warming up in my living room. When it gets up to room temperature ( a balmy 61F) I'm going to add another bottle of water remover to the gas and dump it in the car around 3 PM when it reaches the high for the day, maybe 5F?

I'm really sick of this weather and I'm also monitoring a pipe in the basement that burst a few weeks ago. So far it's pretty stable at around 52F and if it does get down to 38F the heat tape thermostat should kick in.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Yeah that would be my first thought too.
    Heating up gasoline in the house.

Why not just put it on the stovetop and bring it to a rolling boil.

Dave

4. moshaholic2

moshaholic2 Active Member

We had about 3 weeks straight of sub zero weather here (daytime highs were -10 at one point) my car never complained.

fuel in your area must be junk unfortunately.

5. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

So cold around here the trucks that run Diesel are gellin fuel since they drive up from the warm (used to be) south.
    Had mine out over night at -20 straight up temp no wind chill and she cranked a lil slower than normal but fired right up and it took the 5 mile drive home to get the kinks out of the suspention.. Thank Goodness for HEATED seats !!

6. Firesail

Firesail Active Member

As a Firefighter I would have to caution against this!:eek: