Data loggers!

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Road Racing' started by McRib 1s Back, Feb 5, 2014.

1. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

Yep! I'm on the fence for one right now. If I didn't already have two external GPS devices (10Hz+ only way to go!), I'd have one. For what I'm doing, Harry's Lap Timer GP with the external GPS is pretty darned good.

VBOX Sport features 20Hz sampling and all the other software engineering goodness that allows use of their analysis tools. It's very likely my next step.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

I was trying to justify the price of the Solo DL, but $400 is closer to my budget for something like this. I am intrigued. Does anyone else have experience with this?

4. hyatt

hyatt Active Member

GRM ran an article about a Lemons or Chumpcar team (I can't remember which, and the article is eluding my search) who were running a RaceCapture PRO, where they were able to see their alternator dying from the telemetry and were able to pit and change it before the car died on the track. I wanna say this race was at Sebring or something. Pretty cool stuff. The Realtime Telemetry unit is extra but it works pretty well. I'd be interested in seeing someone's data from the VBOX. I've never had a chance to look at their stuff in person but it seems like a hell of a deal.

5. jimlau

jimlau Member

Here's a video review of the VBOX Sport, talking about its basic features and straight-line testing, but not lap timing:

You can download our VBOX LapTimer app for free (on the AppStore) and try it with built-in GPS to see its features as well. Looking for data files from anything in particular? I have access to quite a few. I also have data from Hennessey's Venom GT 270+ MPH run from the other day. We're all over the place. :)

hyatt likes this.
  6. was-an-M

was-an-M Member

I ran a Solo DL in my M3 and have swapped it for a Solo (non-DL) for use in the FiST. The Solo is a great data logger. The software is very powerful and very capable, but a little clumsy. So you'll need to take some time learning the software to get the most out of it. But once you do you'll be very happy with it.

The North East trainer for AiM is awesome and comes to a lot of events (at least BMW CCA events) and he's helped me a ton. He also has a Vimeo channel that I can find if people are interested. I'd imagine AiM has regional trainers like him around the country.

7. eRic

eRic Active Member

8. was-an-M

was-an-M Member

Does the DL work? I sold mine and bought a non-DL solo because I figured it wouldn't.

EDIT:
    It sure does work. Wish I'd looked at the list of supported cars before I traded my Solo DL for a Solo (non-DL). Dang it!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  9. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

For Autocross I am using Harry's Petrol Head on a Samsung phone. I have the Kiwi Blue Tooth OBD2 and a Qstars GPS Bluetooth plus a Go Pro Hero 3 connected through WiFi. Have only used it twice and the Android Petrol head is brand new, but so far so good.

10. meFiSTo

meFiSTo Active Member

I am not "serious" about data acquisition, but will be trying out a comparatively inexpensive system once I get the Fiesta ST out for HPDE. The CMS Lap Timer was developed by a local software guy. Here's a link: http://stoppani.net/index.html It's pretty slick.

I have a 32G 4th Gen iPod Touch that will be dedicated to this purpose. So, it just costs me for the $15 for the data acquisition/video app, $50 for the RAM X-Grip twist-lock suction mount, $100 for the Emprum GPS. So, about, $165 plus shipping. Turnkey package including a comparable iPod Touch from CMS is $450. I'll share results once I get it all together and out on a local circuit.

11. eRic

eRic Active Member

videos from a recent open track event in the FiST with the SoloDL mounted using a Grip-iT vent mount.

12. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

I bit the bullet and bought a decent 10hz gps unit and have been using it with RaceChrono on Android. It's easy enough to use that you can quickly compare lap to lap times, but it is hard to get deep info out of, because it will only display two sets of info (one x-axis, two y-axis values) which means a lot of back and forth when I try to do a more in depth review back at the house.

Does anybody have a favorite android autocross timer? I know Harry's lap timer is on Android now. Are there others that work well for autocross?

13. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

This is with Ram-X suction mount, Iphone 4gs, TrackaddictHD app, external GPS Dual Skypro 10hz, and ODBII wifi dongle. Notice the passing of the tuned Focus.