Direzza Z II's

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Road Racing' started by Smokin, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

One of you track guys posted pix of the Dunlops after a track day and I can't find it. I asked what pressures you were running.

Any help here?

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

Hi there -- maybe my rig? Posted photos of my DZ2s. Check the Mountune spring thread. :)

4. limbo

limbo Active Member

For pressures - I run reverse of OEM specs. 36 front, 39 rear. (cold)

After the tires get warm I may bleed off a little in front, depends if they're rolling over the shoulder and how much pressure they've gained.

5. Zormecteon

Zormecteon Active Member

Have i been reading the specs wrong? I thought it was 39 front, 36 rear....?

6. limbo

limbo Active Member

No, you're correct. I found the reverse of the OEM specs to be a good starting point from a few auto-x events with these tires.

7. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

So the thought would be Higher air pressure in the back to help the car rotate?

8. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

I don't have autox experience on these, but my 225/46/16s get hot on the track. I start 36/36 and gain 9-10 psi after a full session. More detail including photos in the Mountune Spring thread (started with camber then grew into tire wear).

These probably are much better autox than road race style tires. In the "best track tires" thread, I'm leaning toward BFG R1.

9. limbo

limbo Active Member

Yes, exactly.

Agreed on the application but they can still make decent track tires if you know their limitations. I've yet to see that much pressure gain with auto-x but I'm sure that tune will change when the summer events starting coming around.

10. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Definitely running higher pressure in the back will help the car rotate in Autocross. On my mini using dunlops I ran 40 - 42 Front 45 - 50 rear depending on the course. I plan on starting with the same sort of settings for the FiST too.

The only care that I did not do this with was my miata, but I needed to do everything I could to keep the rear of that thing from coming around.

11. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Anybody (else) contemplating running the DZII as an everyday tire? How are they in the rain?

12. limbo

limbo Active Member

I was lazy after my last event and never swapped them out. That was a couple weeks ago, they're great in the rain. A little noisy but not unbearable.

spangenb likes this.
  13. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

I will definitely run them as my summer tire... my star specs were great for every day use...until it gets cold.

spangenb likes this.
  14. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I too ran Direzzas and they were great for street use.
    In my area we don't get much rain (except this weekend) however I did manage to use them in the rain and found them to be very good.

Dave

spangenb likes this.
  15. Nik17

Nik17 Member

I ran Z1s on my previous car and had no issue. I took them off when temps were regularly getting below 40*-45*.

For the FiST I'm torn between the Z2s and Rivals though

16. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

That decision is made already for me. I have 225/45-16 Direzzas awaiting the end of winter!

Smokin likes this.
  17. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

If you are considering the Rivals in 16" for autocross, don't do it. I got a look in my fender wells today after the test-n-tune last weekend. I knew that the tires rubbed, but it looks like they rubbed through part of the fender liner up front.

Smokin likes this.
  18. Nik17

Nik17 Member

Interesting. I'm going for a 17" tire to put on the stock wheels for this season.

I know the 215/45 Z2s fit, but am unsure about the Rivals so that in itself might mean I go with the Z2s. Do you know off hand what TireRack listed as the overall diameter for your size Rivals? I've heard they run big

19. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

24.9" i think.

20. Nik17

Nik17 Member

Interesting. The Z2s that fit are 24.7". I wonder if they actually run big or if that 0.2" makes all of the difference

21. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

I thought the Rivals fit okay until I drove it hard. When the body leans in a hard corner, they rubbed pretty good.