Direzza ZIIs running out fast

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by AlanBDahl, Apr 11, 2014.

1. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

I just got off the phone with The Tire Rack and confirmed that the ZII is already becoming unavailable in many sizes. I was able to get the last full set of 225/45-16s to squirrel away for Nationals. If you plan on buying a set of ZIIs this year buy them now because they won't have the new tire in stock until November.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Looks like we'll have to go with BFG.....bummer...

4. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

They still have a few singles at various warehouses, you might be able to get 4 if you call immediately.

5. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

On Wednesday they had 12 at the Louisiana warehouse. I got four of those. Glad I won't have to compromise this season!

I think it was Rudy @ Tire Rack that said that this fall Dunlop will be releasing the Z2 Star Specs.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=534756

What BFG's? I thought they won't fit?

6. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

This AM they had 4 at the Louisiana warehouse but now they have zero because I got the last set. It appears the new tires won't be here until November but it doesn't matter as they wouldn't be legal anyway.

It was on miata.net I read that. I'll post there and see what Rudy has to say.

7. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Looks like I'll be running these stock POS's into the ground this summer...no biggy - just saves me a grand to put into the 64 beetle - prioritization made easy.

8. k757

k757 Active Member

I'll cut you a great deal on my stocks :)

9. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

No thanks...I have these, they'll last the year

10. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

Maybe they will push the release of the Star Spec up so they will be ready for the fall events.

11. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

They'd have to push the release date up to April 30th and have sufficient sizes available, else it doesn't matter the ZII Star Spec will be illegal for Solo until 2015.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  12. Mightymango

Gah that's right, I forgot about the season cut off.

13. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Does anyone have a set of the BFG Rivals in 225/50/16? Do they fit ok?

They are at the limit of non-rubbing diameter....

14. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

I believe they rub....I am not sure who on here has them, but I recall them saying they were getting a rub under compression.

15. Mightymango

On the other fiesta st forum they have documented that the 225/50/16 Rival does rub. They are pretty substantially wider.

16. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Rubbed confirmed by me:confused:
    [​IMG]

17. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

I have the Direzza 225-45/16 with BC coilovers set at Joe's height, and over a couple of very severe straight line bumps on the street I have a slight sheet metal rub at the rear edge of the front wheel opening. Surprised me when I heard it, but happened twice now. Must be because of the caster the wheel moves toward the rear of the car over straight line bumps. I think with the wheels in a turn it will not have the same issue.

18. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

I should say the rub is at about 10 o'clock on the right side fender opening.

19. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Where's that at in the wheel well? Any damage to the tire?

I know new 245/40x18 Hankook C71s rubbed the inside liner at the top on my GTI and cut a tiny razor-like groove in the shoulder until the plastic wore away...

20. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Just trying to figure out whether to preserve the Dunlops, wear them out and switch to BFG or move to GSR and r-comps.

I have 16 days of events between now and Nationals. That's about 65 runs....

21. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

10 o'clock driver side / 2 o'clock passenger side. Tire is fine though, I worried about that metal shoulder peeking through would cut into it, but I couldn't find any damage on the tread.

I tried to find a shop to shave the Rivals, but no luck. I'm just doing semi aggressive street starts to wear them down. I still think if I can take 0.10" of tread off then the rubbing will stop.