Engine Longevity

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by wrongwheeldrive, May 15, 2014.

1. BlackBird

BlackBird Active Member Staff Member

Oil--good oil especially--is insurance. Pick an interval that is reasonable, but also not too short (you do appreciable wear each time the engine is cranked over on a new fill of oil and isn't fully lubricated yet). 5,000-7,500 is pretty reasonable (to me) for a forced induction daily driver, with a top-shelf full synthetic engine oil and filter. Compared to an NA engine, you will have to combat blow-by also when it comes to oil and potential consumption issues, and you have the life of the turbo's bearing to consider. We have a tiny, tiny turbo that spins early, hard, and often.

ghostwhite likes this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. ryst

ryst Active Member

From the Castrol warranty page:
    -----
    Castrol SYNTEC every 6 months or 6,000 miles, which ever comes first.
    -----

Isn't the ford interval 5,000 miles?

4. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

No, the Fiesta's oil change interval is 10,000 miles for "normal" conditions.

Neely2005 likes this.
  5. ryst

ryst Active Member

Oh, well, I'd probably never go that long, so 6k isn't a big deal for me.

6. Matt

Matt New Member

The turbo is a simple part, don't mess with it, keep your oil in good shape, and it will last as long or longer than the engine. The wheels are qualified for speeds usually 10-15% higher than stock due to altitude operation. That also assumes a harsh duty cycle with many excursions to top speed. Ford has extremely tough durability requirements for all it's components, and every part is run through FEA/CFD/Heat transfer analysis before any prototypes are made.

OEM gasoline engine turbos use top shelf stainless steels for the turbine housing and wastegate parts, and the turbine wheel is made of inconel. If you think some aftermarket turbo is going to be a durability improvement over the OEM turbo you are gravely mistaken. Many aftermarket turbos are just diesel engine turbos with billet compressor wheels. They still use iron turbine housings, low grade wastegate parts, steel turbine wheels instead of inconel, etc.

Neely2005, jimclark and ryst like this.