Engine sound, possible problem

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Maintenance' started by Jonnyz, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Jonnyz

Jonnyz Member

I'm new to the site and my FiST is just under 3500 mi and I am starting to hear (or at least think I am) a clicking sound coming from the engine bay while at idle. The noise is almost unnoticeable inside the car but when I pop the hood I can hear it clear as day. This being the first 4cyl car I have owned I'm not sure if this is normal engine idling noise or if I have a potential problem. I have an appointment at the dealership to get it looked at on Oct. 4th but I was hoping that if someone has the chance if they could post a video of their engine at idle with the hood up so I can compare the sounds and make sure I'm not just crazy.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Engines with direct injection, like ours, make a loud(ish) clicking sound from the injectors. Sounds kinda like a diesel engine. That's part of why these cars have so much sound deadening material on the engine cover and hood.
    Smokin likes this.
  4. Steve@Tasca

Steve@Tasca Fiesta ST Network Sponsor

If you're unsure just go to a dealer and ask to listen to another one on the lot.
  5. Cesso

Cesso Member

It's a direct injection thing. Pop the hood on any DI car and you hear a symphony of loud clicks.
  6. Steve@Tasca

Steve@Tasca Fiesta ST Network Sponsor

Not just DI, SVTFs are known for loud injectors as well as noisy valvetrain.
  7. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

My 2011 Fiesta had a diesel-ish sound quality with the hood open. I'd say my ST is quieter than my older car.
  8. Jonnyz

Jonnyz Member

Thanks for all the responses. I figured I was just being paranoid about it.
    Smokin likes this.
  9. Choccy74

Choccy74 New Member

You think the FiST has a noisy engine. I took a 2015 Honda Fit for a test drive a week ago. Dear lord! Noisiest DI 4-cylinder I've ever heard so far. Couldn't even hear myself think while driving it.
  10. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

How about the Saab tappet noise?...omg...your car is fine..enjoy the clickety clack
  11. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

Have you ever driven a 1985 300 D turbo, or work on one?

12. Firesail

Firesail Active Member

My wife had an "83 300D. Always sounded like rocks rattling in a can.:eek: