Engine Swaps?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST EcoBoost™ Tuning' started by stuntdoogie, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Cesso

Cesso Member

There is definitely no sense in swapping the motor unless the drivetrain is changed as well. With the potentially very high HP the stock motor could produce in a high state of tune, there really isn't a reason either. Given the advanced ECU controls and a properly sized turbo I figure that with some finesse you could get a 280-300hp Fiesta to handle well while remaining front drive. Those power figures are well within the capability of the stock motor. As long as the boost didn't spike down low and you were able to carefully and linearly ramp up pressure, wheelspin out of corners should remain under control.

With the stock turbo the torque peaks so early that wheelspin becomes a major issue leaving low speed corners, a slightly larger turbo should move that torque peak higher in the rev range so that by the time you hit full boost the tires will be able to grip instead of being overwhelmed.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

^^ Yep, you are spot on.
  4. sourskittle

sourskittle Member

Soldjeepfofst are you in Europe? I'd like more indepth info on the car if you can ( 320whp fist ). Get that guy to join the forum and help us out !! Lol.

Cyborg turbo, TBE, panda TR6 intercooler, drop in green filter.
    245whp 293Tq V-dyno
  5. BlackBird

BlackBird Active Member Staff Member

I think a lot of the people who ask questions about engine swaps have never actually been involved with doing one. Knee deep right now with a friend's 1984 Toyota Cressida in which we're putting a Mk IV Toyota Supra (2JZGE) non turbo, turbo conversion (using the Holset turbo off of a Cummins diesel!) engine. This is considered an 'easy' swap as the parts to do it work well together and there are mount kits, etc.

Every time I hear 'why aren't there AWD conversion ktis' or 'how about an engine swap', usually there's a lot of gross underestimation of the effort required. Like someone else said, you can find a way to put practically any engine in any car, physics and space allowing. Whether or not it's worth it, however, is usually very, very nebulous. The FiST has a great engine from the factory; it's not like it's a dud. You'd only really seriously consider a swap if the stock engine was pretty tough to work with, making power was expensive, etc. Without more grip, an engine providing more power than the EB16DIT can is pointless, other than bragging rights, I guess.
    Chuckable likes this.
  6. Soldjeepforst

Soldjeepforst Member

Sour I am from Calif. It would be nice to live in Europe because they have a much more extensive aftermarket parts availability than here in the states. You put one of those garrett turbos on your fist you are going to make 300+ hp. What is the cyborg turbo?

ZREXER Member

If the performance of your Fiesta ST is lacking, just buy a car that has the performance level that satisfies you. Can the swap be done...maybe, but the extra weight in the front end will likely kill the nicely balanced handling that is the reason most of bought the car for in the first place. The Fiesta is a nice balance of handling and power. The car seems to handle a moderate boost in power and the balance still stays, but unless your goal is simply 1/4 mile times, I can't see that this kind of mod would leave you with a very balanced, fun to drive car anymore.
  8. I feel like we need to wait for some one to be like nike and just do it. Eventually some one will. We can only hope they document the process and the pitfalls that it also causes.