Ethanol free gas

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST EcoBoost™ Tuning' started by spangenb, Jul 25, 2014.

  1. Mister_Mino

    Mister_Mino Member

    Why are all ethanol haters ignorant to the fact that ethanol offsets a HUGE amounts of imported gold. One truck load of corn offsets 55 barrels (2310 gallons). Regardless of what country you live in, your ethanol is typically a domestic product. Which means your local farmers grow the corn, local refineries make the ethanol. I choose ethanol...
  2. Register or Sign in

    Advertisement Sponsor

  3. WScottCross

    WScottCross Well-Known Member

    I love ethanol, but not for economic reasons. I like the power it provides for racing. When it comes to economics of daily driving in CT, the price offset (~10% cheaper than regular) does not come close to matching the milage hit which is closer to 30% less miles per gallon. If it's significantly cheaper elsewhere then it becomes a philosophical choice. Personally, I spend far too much on fuel per year to throw more money at it.
  4. Steve@Tasca

    Steve@Tasca Fiesta ST Network Sponsor

    I think ethanol can be good and it obviously works wonders in boosted cars tuned for it but every winter as ethanol mix goes up my gas mileage drops and my car doesn't run as well.

    I used to drive by a station that I could fill with non-ethanol fuel year 'round and my car loved it, only place close now won't even turn on the pump if I pull my SVT up to it. :(

    Around here it's only supposed to be used in classics and off road vehicles.

  5. Mr. Fusion

    Mr. Fusion New Member

    I won't put anything other than E0 in any car I own... The last car I had was a '93 Mustang that I was putting the cheapest gas I could get in (mostly from Wawa) until I decided to try putting ethanol-free gas in it. I could tell the difference almost immediately... Before it would idle poorly and felt like it didn't have as much power as it should, but after the switch it felt more alive than it ever was. After picking up the Fusion I experimented with different grades and ethanol mixes for a bit before settling on running premium grade E0. Granted, there wasn't a huge difference between how they made the car run but it felt like it liked premium E0 the best, so that's what I've stuck with. And gas prices have gone down significantly since I bought it in April, so I'm paying less per tank now than what I was then even on premium. lol

    Oh, and that station you put a picture up from spangenb is totally using the "ethanol free" thing as a sales gimmick... I just look around at gas pumps at different stations until I find one that doesn't have something saying "product contains X% ethanol" and fill there. lol
  6. sourskittle

    sourskittle Member

    I love Eth... I'm addicted to it... No so much my lawn mowers and motor engines, lol.

    Cyborg turbo, TBE, panda TR6 intercooler, drop in green filter.
    245whp 293Tq V-dyno
  7. Steve@Tasca

    Steve@Tasca Fiesta ST Network Sponsor

    You'd be driving around a LONG time where I live, I know of two (sure there are more) that carry ethanol free gasoline but it's only legal for use in classics and off road vehicles. One of the stations I know will let me pump it into my car even though they aren't supposed to but the other won't even turn the pump on if they see my car sitting by the pump.

  8. rweidman

    rweidman New Member

    It is a matter of mpg for me, 3-4% higher with ethanol free. Prices vary alot from station to station. Usually 30-40 cents more per gallon. Also production of corn for ethanol is the biggest energy deficit out there. It takes much more energy to produce corn to ethanol than the energy it yields.
    Without the gov't subsidy would not be profitable.
    jmrtsus likes this.
  9. Steve@Tasca

    Steve@Tasca Fiesta ST Network Sponsor

    Yeah, winter blend fuel kills my mileage as well. Not badly enough to make me chase all over town for gas though.

  10. jmrtsus

    jmrtsus New Member

    At my taxes pay for thanks. Why are we using land that can produce edible crops to use my tax money to make ethanol? Stupid idea to expend more energy and money than it is worth....just another way to make the mega agribusiness rich off farm subsidies. I use non-ethanol 90% of the time. The other 10% is when I have no choice.

Share This Page