Ethanol percentage hardware project

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST EcoBoost™ Tuning' started by razorlab, Oct 2, 2014.

1. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

Btw, what is your reason for running a 91 tune, if you could be so modest?
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. razorlab

razorlab Active Member

Is there a specific reason why you went back to 91 from Eth for winter?
  4. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

straight 91 oct no corn as here the corn gas in winter takes a hit in that last time I tested the E85 pump it was about 70-75 E which is legal but you need to know that to figure your ratio and right now I am testing by hand with a test tube thingy and a bit of water and E85 and shake and wait for a few min so I can get the right mix :) Thats why This gauge and real time data will help a bunch ..
  5. ryst

ryst Active Member

I dunno about Rod, but I did it because of traction reasons in the snow and on dry pavement with my 185 width tires. Plus gas station availability :)

"Too much" torque. Which I didn't think would be possible :)
  6. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Just as I mentioned they change the mix and I guess I am in my head getting ready for and when Nik at Levels sends me a upgrade I will tune it on gas first then see if it will work with Corn.. and here IF i can find 93 oct it is ALWAY a blend not pure petrol..
  7. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

Good luck Walter White
  8. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about this and If I am correct a tune can be Tq limited via the ecu and to whatever number you want aka Tq at RPM. I think Razor could answer that better
  9. ryst

ryst Active Member

Yeah it's actually really simple to limit torque per gear, I was going to do it (razor already built this in for 1st and 2nd gear in the E40 tune he did for me)

BUT since I'm already limiting torque artificially I figured I might as well just go to regular gas so I don't have to hunt down E85 every time I fill up.

So it came down to convenience.
    RodMoe likes this.
  10. razorlab

razorlab Active Member

That's what I figured. The luxury of having living in California is that the Ethanol mix does not change season to season here like it does in other parts of the country with real winters.

This setup will help you guys in that regard as well.

I understand wanting to have less torque as well. We have had a lot of rain the last couple weeks here in California (thankfully) and first and second gear is 100% useless in my FiST with 305wtq at WOT. Even WOT in third gear lights the tires up if I am in a lower RPM area.

Yes, you can torque limit per gear if you want. You can can also boost limit per gear with COBBs new tables and even change wastegate duty cycle via charge temp, barometer, ambient temp, etc.

Ambient temp compensation could be useful for setting much lower power during colder days.
    MacDubois, Firesail, Dyn085 and 2 others like this.
  11. aar0n

aar0n Member

This is awesome stuff. Thanks razor for sharing.
  12. razorlab

razorlab Active Member

Since some DB on the other forum (who doesn't even know if our fuel system is return-less or not) decided to copy all my ideas and info and start his own thread (since they deleted all my tech info there) about it I am updating this and the first post in this thread with all the required items to get this working.

I'm currently testing this all out and with the COBB switchable maps, it's going to be a great combo.

Parts list:

1. Continental VDO Flex fuel sensor. GM Part # 13577429, approx $55
    I went with the smallest sensor they make for space reasons.

2. Russell 644123 -6AN Male to 3/8" SAE Fitting (2) $17/each @ Amazon
    These are the quick connect fittings to the sensor. You can go cheaper with the plastic connect versions but there have been reports of the plastic breaking down with E85 so these are much safer and more robust.

3. Russell 644113 -6AN Male to 5/16" SAE Fitting (2) $21 @ Amazon
    This connects to the OEM fuel pipe to the HPFP pump on top of the motor and the other to the OEM Fuel line at the firewall.

4. Radium PTFE -6AN Hose Assemblies - 11.4" Straight and 90* ends (2) $22.95/each @ Radium
    PTFE for great ethanol resistance and -6AN connections for secure and non-leak fit. Pre assembled.

5. Zeitronix ECA Ethanol Content gauge $199

6. Zeitronix ECA 8ft wiring harness $29
    You can find this harness cheaper to build yourself but this is well done and saves time

If you want to make the Sensor wire harness yourself, here are the part #'s for the connector:
    Delphi GT 150 series connector, part # 13519047 (1) $1.62
    Delphi GT 150 series Terminals part# 15326264 (3) $0.10 each
    Delphi Loose Cable Seal part# 15366021 (3) $0.06 each

Or buy the GM connector harness already assembled and cut one end off GM Part# 13352241 $9.71
    EFI Connection also sells a pre assembled connector pigtail for $15.00

7. Add-A-Fuse $9 @ Amazon or local auto store

The two pre built Radium PTFE hoses and the Zeitronix ECA wiring harness makes this a basically plug and play affair. I highly recommend going this route to save time but of course you can build it all yourself if you want.

Wiring instructions
    Orange wire : +12V (use Add-A-Fuse connection makes this a plug and play affair to the fuse box)
    Brown: Ground (use one of the many grounds located behind the glove box or foot well areas
    Green: Sensor output to Zeitronix ECA gauge

Fueling connections
    The OEM hard line is located at the top right of the engine if you are looking at the windshield of the car.

Undo the L-shaped connection with the two black prongs below:

Follow this line down towards the firewall and undo the other side the same way you did the engine side of the hose.

Install the Russell 644113 -6AN Male to 5/16" SAE Fitting on the OEM hard line at the top of the engine. Be sure to lube the o-ring in the connector first. Once you install this fitting onto the OEM hardline, install one of the Radium PTFE -6AN Hose Assemblies on this side, install the Continental VDO Flex fuel sensor on the end of this with the two Russell 644113 -6AN Male to 5/16" SAE Fitting fittings on it, then install the second Radium hose on the other end of this. Install the second Russell 644113 -6AN Male to 5/16" SAE Fitting on the OEM hard line at the firewall and then install the last open end of the second Radium hose. This completes the whole assembly.

As you are assembly all this you will see the proper way to orientate everything in the engine bay. It's really simple. I used black zip ties to make sure some of the hoses where secure and wouldn't flop around the engine bay.

Then connect the zeitronix wire harness to the sensor and find the way you want to bring it into the cabin depending on where you want the gauge placed. Wire everything up and there you go!

You can use cheaper hose if you want and regular fuel clamps instead of -AN connectors and such to save money. That is up to you. You will need the SAE fittings for both OEM hard lines though. Just get the hose end version of the fittings if you go that route.

There ya go, you read it all here first. Go forth and modify!
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    koozy, Mr UFO and Dyn085 like this.
  13. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Thank you great info .
  14. aar0n

aar0n Member

Time to C+P it to every other website and claim it as my own!!!!!!!!!!!:devil:
    XR650R likes this.
  15. Roger

Roger New Member

Thank you for this!!
  16. razorlab

razorlab Active Member

Dyn085 likes this.
  17. Roger

Roger New Member

Razorlab, I ordered the connectors and hoses that you listed here along with the Zeitronix ECA-2 Kit. Do you have any advice on prepping the adapters and hoses to ensure that the don't leak or that the disconnects don't come loose? I know that the Russell products had some Issues a while back, but not sure about the new versions. Thanks.
  18. razorlab

razorlab Active Member

The Russell products that had issues where the plastic based disconnects. That is why I listed the metal based ones.

If you are really anal about it, you can connect everything up, use a -AN plug on one side and and air connection on the other and pressurize the assembly while having it under water. You will see bubbles if it's leaking.
  19. razorlab

razorlab Active Member

Wanted to add a point of education since the same person that copied my information around the Ethanol gauge on another forum is stating that when the Ethanol pump at the station has a sticker that says "70% Minimum Ethanol", he thinks it means it's only E70, not E85.

Here are the facts. Every E85 pump, by law needs to have that sticker on it. It is not necessarily the Ethanol percentage you will get. It is stating that 70% is the MINIMUM ETHANOL REQUIRED BY LAW. It doesn't matter if the pump dispenses E85, E80, etc, it will have that sticker on it.

Every pump here in Northern California has that sticker and it's E80-E85 every time.

Just clearing up some misinformation here. I've been using Ethanol in all my cars for over seven years now. I've seen it all so far.
    aar0n and koozy like this.
  20. Roger

Roger New Member

Thanks, I was just making sure as I've never used the Russell fuel connectors before. Btw, those Radium lines look nice and they were on top of my order...very prompt. I ended up getting the entire Zeitronix Kit which includes the fuel sensor, gauge and harness. I found it for a great price.
  21. razorlab

razorlab Active Member

Just so you know, the sensor that comes with the Zeitronix kit is larger than the one I listed. It will still work, you will just have to figure out the orientation in the engine bay once you get it all together.

Here is a comparison of the two: