Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

Exhaust systems

25K views 157 replies 28 participants last post by  pelotonracer2 
#1 ·
I have normally gone and done custom exhausts on my previous cars, but this time I was looking into having a bolt on specifically engineered for the FiST. So I can easily put in on or take it off.
So far I have come across this

http://www.borla.com/products/fiesta_st_catback_exhaust_touring_part__140525.html

and

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=all&id=4822

No figures or sound clips up yet, but I just wanted to share. I'm not pulling the trigger on anything yet.

Sorry if I double posted...the desktop site wasn't working so I tried again through tapatalk.

#7 ·
I like the sound of the factory exhaust but it is pretty quiet. Some people are looking for sound.

I personally want performance first but if I don't get good sound I'll be tweaking things (I'll be making a 3" system from mandrel bends if no one CNC bends a nice 3" cat back and I'll be working cat forward too, EFR turbo probably).

#8 ·
from what I have gathered, a properly designed exhaust for the ST will do wonders for the car. The ST exhaust is the same in the US as it is in Europe, where it needs to be quiet and restrictive.

#15 ·
I want to see what fswerks comes up with. If you check out their site for the focus st they have a race exhaust and a stealth exhaust.

The stealth exhaust is made with magnafow mufflers and has the sound I'm looking for.

I know it won't sound the same but I'm Hoping it's something similar for the fiesta st

#17 ·
I am really tempted to try the Burns 3" race muffler and a full 3" exhaust.

With the turbo to quiet it a little, the race muffler might keep it quiet enough and light weight.

I'm going to have to read up on resonator tech because I think they shape the sound and can help with drone.

#28 ·
Would there be a reason to use 2.25? Or is that just sticking with the stock diameter? A larger pipe would increase flow but do we have to worry about things like back pressure?
For turbo cars there is no backpressure tuning. The design goal is to get the heat out and away from the turbo as fast as possible.

2.25 seems tiny to me. I'd be looking for 2.75 minimum for a 1.6L turbo. Larger than 3" probably has diminishing returns due to extra weight, unless you are upgrading to a much larger turbo.

#29 ·
Makes sense, hence Cobb going with 3" for their exhaust. But why would ford go with 2.17" if they want to get the heat out quickly?

I want to see what fswerks designs and hopefully mountune will get something out soon as well.

I swear car companies purposely make things a little tuned down to make sure the aftermarket vendors stay in business.

#33 ·
For comparisons sake, when the neon srt4 came out, they had 2.25" exhausts with only a resonator in them (no additional muffler). They dyno'd around 210 wheel hp stock depending on year. The upgraded mopar performance exhaust (built by borla) was 2.5". Both exhausts were mandrel bent. The nsrt4 was a 2.4l engine, with a larger turbo than the ST, at a lower boost level.

In my opinion, I'd think a 2.5" catback would be fine for a ST running a stock turbo. In my understanding of turbo systems, a 3" down pipe would be more beneficial as back pressure farther away from the turbo has less effect on performance.

#40 ·
If the non res Milltek don't drone too bad inside the car while at highway speeds, this is EXACTLY the music I crave to hear! I loved the sound of my R32's VR6 with the resonated Milltek, and trust their ST versions will be just as top notch. Just when it it be available for us here? And how much?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.