Exhaust systems

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Engine Upgrades' started by mrtn, Oct 23, 2013.

1. graynicolas11

graynicolas11 Active Member

Agreed! Love how you can here the turbo spool too!
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
  4. ST_Rocky

ST_Rocky Member

I had a Milltek on my R32 and loved it. Hope they bring one here soon.
  5. brian

brian Member

What's the diameter of the stock exhaust again?
  6. Removed

Removed Guest

2.2" IIRC.
    brian likes this.
  7. eRic

eRic Active Member

ST-tuned 55 millimeters (2.17 inches)
    exhaust system with dual tips
    brian likes this.
  8. mcummings182

mcummings182 Member

9. Fistofthebrownstar

Fistofthebrownstar New Member

For turbo cars there is no backpressure tuning. The design goal is to get the heat out and away from the turbo as fast as possible.

2.25 seems tiny to me. I'd be looking for 2.75 minimum for a 1.6L turbo. Larger than 3" probably has diminishing returns due to extra weight, unless you are upgrading to a much larger turbo.
  10. mrtn

mrtn Active Member

Makes sense, hence Cobb going with 3" for their exhaust. But why would ford go with 2.17" if they want to get the heat out quickly?

I want to see what fswerks designs and hopefully mountune will get something out soon as well.

I swear car companies purposely make things a little tuned down to make sure the aftermarket vendors stay in business.
  11. Fistofthebrownstar

Ford doesn't want to get the heat out quickly. Ford wants a quiet, bulletproof, light, and CLEAN exhaust for what truly is a sporty version of an economy car. Part of making it clean means a restrictive Catalytic converter. Therfore, it makes no sense to make a larger free-flowing exhaust if the flow is getting choked off upstream by the Cat.

EDIT: Car companies have more important design goals than just performance. Reliability, overall quality/comfort and fuel economy rank way above pure performance.
  12. mrtn

mrtn Active Member

So a 2.5" system would be a good compromise perhaps?
  13. Fistofthebrownstar

I'm no expert, 2.5 might be sufficient
  14. brian

brian Member

For comparisons sake, when the neon srt4 came out, they had 2.25" exhausts with only a resonator in them (no additional muffler). They dyno'd around 210 wheel hp stock depending on year. The upgraded mopar performance exhaust (built by borla) was 2.5". Both exhausts were mandrel bent. The nsrt4 was a 2.4l engine, with a larger turbo than the ST, at a lower boost level.

In my opinion, I'd think a 2.5" catback would be fine for a ST running a stock turbo. In my understanding of turbo systems, a 3" down pipe would be more beneficial as back pressure farther away from the turbo has less effect on performance.
  15. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

the mrt is too cummins diesel for my liking
    pelotonracer2 likes this.
  16. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

ill wait for the borla 2.5. 2.5" is just fine on my gti...and it has the 254 hp apr tune on it.
  17. mrtn

mrtn Active Member

Thank you!! I thought I was the one who didn't love it...
    Smokin likes this.
  18. stuntdoogie

Full Milltek, De-Cat, Non-Resonated.

ST_Rocky and moshaholic2 like this.
  19. stuntdoogie

Milltek Exhaust Non Resonated Decat
  20. stuntdoogie

Milltek Resonated

Another Mill Non Res

Man I just love the way this exhaust sounds!
  21. ST_Rocky

ST_Rocky Member

If the non res Milltek don't drone too bad inside the car while at highway speeds, this is EXACTLY the music I crave to hear! I loved the sound of my R32's VR6 with the resonated Milltek, and trust their ST versions will be just as top notch. Just when it it be available for us here? And how much?