Exiting car while it's running

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by mcummings182, Jan 17, 2014.

1. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

This is from the service manual as part of the PATS.

Key Not Detected Message
    The second scenario is when the vehicle is running, the driver exits the vehicle with the programmed passive key and closes the door.
    The No Key Detected message displays in the message center and the horn chirps twice when the ignition is on and a passive key is no longer detected inside the vehicle.
    This strategy deters the passive key from being separated from an already running vehicle.

Now why some vehicles the horn sounds and some do not is the mystery.
    You can turn off some chimes via the MFT.
    Although it is not stated anywhere that I can find.
    Maybe the that is the place to look.

Sent with my retro keyboard and mouse.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. LuvfiestaST

LuvfiestaST Active Member

Thats the message I get on my screen., key is outside of car.. Horn beeps twice
  4. Sil3nt611

Sil3nt611 Active Member

I made note of that in one of the other threads, yeah Focus ST owners have the same deal. Most of those cars have been produced a year before the Fiesta even showed up. Whoever is setting that system up is doing it for both the Fiesta and Focus
  5. mysticfac3

mysticfac3 Member

If you close the door gently just enough that the switch doesnt know you closed it (still open but slightly) it wont honk

As i rarely leave the car for something else then the mailbox or removing snow this works for me
  6. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Well now i know why i don' always get the Honk infact mostly never as the door gets closed to the first catch while doing snow removal ... Thanks
  7. mysticfac3

mysticfac3 Member

If there is a switch trying this out would be as easy as leaving the key out and pushing it with the door open
  8. aborbs87

aborbs87 Active Member

I've seen the other thread on this subject and I've been paying close attention to my car, it has yet to honk in any situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

Mine also doesn't honk. I do have all the Nav warnings turned off on MFT on mine. I wonder if it's tied to that?
  10. Driver45

Driver45 Member

Back in March of 2014 I took delivery of my 2014 Fiesta ST (MO, grey recaros, no sunroof, no navigation) and received the car in mid May of 2014. I had that car for 2 years (great lease deal!!). One week ago I turned it back in to purchase a 2016 Fiesta ST (Kona blue, grey recaros, sunroof, navigation). Throughout those 2 years I never once had the car honk at me for exiting the car and cloing the door with the car running, only an interior chime and a message on the screen (no big deal...seemed normal). Not even a day later after taking delivery of my 2016, I found the car honking at me if I got out of the car and closed the door with the car still running (super annoying, especially late at night or early in the morning). I have spoken with multiple dealers about turning it off, but they have not come up with a solution, yet. I will update if they come up with anything.

Side note, I would also suggest that you do not disconnect your horn...that is a safety feature that you might want to keep. There has to be a way to turn this function off and I am really surprised no one has a fix. For now, I am just dealing with it by not starting my car when I need to clear the snow off, or just letting it honk despite it probably pissing off my neighbors.

Anyways, I am not sure if it is different cars in the vehicles production cycle, or it comes with the different option packages. I had a decently early 2014 which did not have the navigation and I now have a car that is 2 years newer with navigation that honks at me.

Does anyone have an confilcting cases, like honking without the navigation, or a 2014 around the same age as mine that honks?
  11. Stevelach

Stevelach Active Member

I have a VERY early 2014 MO, MO Recaros, sunroof, navigation and mine is a honker. If I exit the car and close the door with the engine running, I get two quick honks...

I see this all the time when I pull up to a gate that requires me to get out of my car and walk about 10 feet to enter a code into a keypad.
    Driver45 likes this.
  12. Sil3nt611

Sil3nt611 Active Member

I have an early 2016. It honks at me if I shut the door completely with the key in my pocket on exit with the car running or when I close to hatch and all other doors are shut. Only time I really have this problem is when I pull up to the mailbox area at my apartment and shut the door but leave the car running. To get by this I just either leave the door open or close it lightly before it latches. So long as the switch isn't pushed in it's fine. I tend to forget about it if I leave the car running and get out under different circumstances.

It's not really anything to do with features. And it seems that the non-honkers were all 2014s from what I can gather. I test drove the first 2014 that showed up right around labor day 2013 in my area at the time. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but I know it didn't honk when the salesman got out with the key in pocket and shut the door, but it did chime and put a message up on the screen.
    Driver45 likes this.
  13. Neeqness

Neeqness Member

Mine doesn't honk either as I do this almost every morning while warming it up. But I think you can change the settings. Should be in your owners manual. Mine is a 2015 ST though.

Sent using Tapatalk