Explain the hate for the Sound Symposer

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by BRGT350, Jan 12, 2015.

1. no-pistons

no-pistons Member

I don't hate it, however when your exhaust is loud as hell, I found that when disconnecting the sound symposer some of the interior drone is reduced.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

ZREXER Member

I find a lot of the mods people do to their brand new cars surprising including deleting the sound symposer, but I respect everyone has their own vision for their car and what works for them.
    Personally for me, other than my MP-215 kit, some 3M film, this car will be left more or less dead stock - what works for me.
    XR650R likes this.
  4. BlackBird

BlackBird Active Member Staff Member

To be honest I think a lot of people do it for signature purposes, if you get my meaning.
  5. aar0n

aar0n Member

I just dont like the sound personally. I still feel it is fake engine sound, not fake sound since I am obviously hearing it. It is intake noise that vibrates a membrane to create sound. The car would never sound like that. Even with my modified airbox I hear a ton of intake sound(same effect essentially as a SRI or CAI on the sound side of things) and it sounds nothing like that. It is a part that provides no benefit and just takes up space and also tricks me to think my engine sounds different than it does. I guess you could call me a hater but to each their own.
  6. haste

haste Member

I would never introduce an element of potential failure in an automobile that is performance oriented. Symposer delete for me.

ZREXER Member

Well, a lot of things can fail in a performance car, the turbo, head gasket, clutch, etc should we get rid of all those potential failure areas as well?
    Smokin likes this.
  8. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

Deleting the symposer has no effect on the car besides noise, and eliminating the potential source of a boost leak.

no other benefit.
    I am Stage III and still have mine... so IDK what people have their panties in a knot over.
    Firesail likes this.
  9. BlackBird

This is a bit intellectually disingenuous. Let's examine this statement.

1. You are not introducing the system. The engineers from Ford did.
    2. The system is engineered into the engine and packaging.
    3. Modifying the system is in actuality, introducing a non-standard, unexpected running condition.

The bottom line is that your engine was designed with the sound symposer. You can feel it is a potential source of problems, but I've yet to see an even anecdotal shred of evidence to suggest it's of any concern whatsoever. Granted deleting the sound symposer is unlikely to do any harm, it's unlikely it'll be any more of a problem then most peoples' questionable modification choices and less than factory work quality. It's a silly quibble when there are plenty of people comfortable with introducing whole new elements to the engine, cutting, trimming, re-routing, increasing boost pressure, pouring in E85--with wildly varying levels of worksmanship--but a minor tap to reroute some sound, which has yet to be shown to do any harm is a 'potential point of failure'.
    OrangeFist likes this.
  10. Sil3nt611

Sil3nt611 Active Member

It's all in the butt dyno I'm sure, any gains felt from removing it.

I like it. I'm currenty driving a car where sound deadening is minimal so road noise sucks. Of course add sound deadening and you lose engine sound which is also nice. So you kinda get both decent sound deadening and engine sound.
  11. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

so, at the end of the day, it seems to be more of a personal preferrence about the sound or the increase in sound when coupled with a different exhaust system. As for any performance reason, there is zero evidence to support the theory that removing the symposer does anything. There is also zero evidence of it being a major failure point.

I like the symposer for exactly what Sil3nt611 has said, it gives you the sound you want and leaves out all the sounds you don't. Nobody wants wind noise, and road noise gets old really quick, but the sound of the engine and exhaust note are musical in comparison. Blackbird is also spot-on with her comments.

As for introducing a possible element of failure, the sound symposer is so far down the list of failures, it isn't even funny. If I was doing a FMEA on the sound symposer, it would get a very low ranking. The car is 100% operable if the symposer fails, there is a loss of performance, the driver is aware of the issue, there is no safety concern, no concern over protecting the engine, and does fail with warning (slow, progressive leak). Oh, for occurance, probably very low. It wouldn't even register as a concern. The head gasket would have a much higher FMEA number as the car is inoperable and there is almost no warning before failure. Your car is full of millions of potential failure points and the sound symposer is probably the least likely to fail. Sensors most likely have the highest failure rate and I don't see everyone running out to change all of them. Until somebody logs a study showing a large percentage of sound symposer failures, I don't buy into the idea that it needs to be removed to make the car more reliable. I would bet that the engineers who developed the symposer tested in order for the parts to outlive the usable life of the car, which is probably in the 12-15 year range (assuming daily driving status and not storage). If you are dead set of removing a part that might fail a decade from now, you better get a second ST and put it in storage as a hanger queen.
    BlackBird and marc89gti like this.
  12. captainmorbid

captainmorbid Active Member

At the very least it's still not a sound system generated V6 pretending to be a V8! I'm looking at you F150! This is an honest engine induction sound that has a stethoscope effect with the operator, it's tuned yes, but so is a muffler. That said, as above, it's your car, if you wanted to cut the roof off with a chainsaw and create a sport bathtub, giver. Just avoid claims of bathtubbing is the only way to drive.
    Ronbo and Firesail like this.
  13. BRGT350

yes, you can do whatever you want to your car, but the amount of comments online (forums, Facebook, and YouTube) indicate a strong dislike for the system and that it needs to be removed. I was hoping somebody could bring some tech to support the claims that it needs to be removed, or is it a personal preferrence. Besides balancing the sound after an exhaust system was installed, there is absolutely zero tech to support the removal. If there was something I was missing, I wanted to know so I could answer the questions better.
  14. captainmorbid

I'm pretty sure that everything you have seen about the evil sound symposer is just emotional response to an apparent synthetic sound generator. Someone is going to have to do some data logging and dyno work with the system installed and removed to see if there is any change in performance of the engine in both configurations. Which sounds expensive to do for the average poster on the webz.
  15. BRGT350

right, it is more of a response by people knowing very little about the product and not bothering to support their claims by data. Back when I was doing more autocrossing and open track stuff, I belonged to Corner-Carvers. Just about everyone on there was a professional driver, engineer, race mechanic, or heavily involved in motorsports. If you made a claim of any kind, you were expected to bring the tech to support it. If not, you were pretty much beat up or kicked off. There was zero tolerance for BS. The current crop of car owners seem to have zero tolerance for data and spew BS with authority.
    Firesail, BlackBird and captainmorbid like this.
  16. captainmorbid

True. I don't think it's limited to car owners. It's one thing to ask questions in order to learn something, it's something else to make baseless claims.

Sent via poles, wires and telegraph 2.
  17. ZREXER

ZREXER Member

Well it is good for the after market manufacturers, some one advises their is a problem (sound symposer), after market swoops in to 'fix' the problem!
  18. BRGT350

19. marc89gti

marc89gti Active Member

I love how it seems like some of these aftermarket parts manufacturers have a solution for a problem that doesn't exist just to sell some parts. They come up with a few different scenarios to convince people there is a problem but don't have anything to back up their claims. While I like to see various different vendors come out with parts for our FiST I'm pretty cautious when it comes actually pulling the trigger before buying and doing my research.

For me I see no need to ever touch the sound symposer system, I like the sound it makes, gives the car some extra character it may be lacking without.
  20. BlackBird

It's easy money, as these parts require relatively little R&D or machining.
  21. LuvfiestaST

LuvfiestaST Active Member

I must drive like an ole fart cause I never hear it..
    OrangeFist likes this.