Explain the hate for the Sound Symposer

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by BRGT350, Jan 12, 2015.

1. jfdana

jfdana Member

I agree with you. The sentiment from the Denver Mustang Club President - "He has swayed between love and hate of the snarl-boosting sound tube in his 2012 Mustang GT"- seems to sum up both sides of the arguments in this thread.

It's interesting, in a "first world problem" sort of way. Which ever anyone chooses, the car still works great.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. ryst

ryst Active Member

There is of course no mention of how an engine sound helps you determine when to shift (since the washington post writer probably forgot that manual transmission vehicles still exist)
    marc89gti likes this.
  4. GutBomb

GutBomb New Member

I love the sound symposer, let me state that from the get go, but it doesn't just route intake noise. It does route some intake noise but it also creates noise of its own. The air passing into the symposer box vibrates a thin membrane, and the bulk of what you hear is that membrane vibrating. You know that awesome deep growly sound you hear when pushing hard it in the lower revs? That's all the vibration of the membrane. You know how I can tell? It doesn't sound like that from outside the car, and when I plugged the symposer to diagnose a weird sound I was getting and the growl went away. You'll still get the intake noise, but slightly quieter, and none of the cool growl.

Again, I love the symposer, but let's be honest about what it does. It definitely does introduce "fake" noise.
    Firesail likes this.
  5. REM Sleep

REM Sleep New Member

Late to the conversation, but just joined and don't want to start another thread...

The symposer was engineered to add inspiration. There's a thin line between gimmicks and refinements, and this add-on definitely walks that line. These 4-cylinders (especially) aren't as inspiring aurally, because they are so darn quiet.

After I put a magnaflow cat-back on my Cobra, I was instantly inspired by the nice low end growl. The pipes were engineered to have that perfectly warm tone, both inside and out. Now, is an engineered exhaust the actual sound of what's coming out the headers? Heck no, it was intentionally added, not just to conform to sound and emissions, but to make the car more pleasing to the driver. Some stock exhausts are really quiet, and thus people intentionally add louder ones, with no real improvement than adding inspiration to their driving experience.

I'd never remove the symposer. I love it!
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    Firesail likes this.
  6. praecurvo

praecurvo New Member

Well, time to chip in here. Besides the fact that I'm an Audio Engineer, this is simple audio reproduction. So, a membrane which is caused to vibrate by the actual sound/airflow of the intake makes a sound which is heard in the cabin, correct?

Have you heard of a speaker in an audio system? Does that make fake sound? Isn't that a membrane vibrating? More so, have you ever heard an excellent set of speakers? In my experience, when anyone I know listens to an excellent set of speakers, their first words are generally not "that's fake because it's a membrane vibrating," but quite the opposite.

The Sound Symposer is simply an amplification system. Similar to those of you wanting an exhaust simply for more sound (me included). It is certainly not FAKE as much as speakers reproducing sound is FAKE!

In my opinion, it makes the car feel more aggressive. Ford certainly does a much better job at it than VW who tacks a vibrating solenoid to the firewall to reproduce a more "compelling" engine sound which I can attest is simply awful and definitely not amplification of the engine's true sound.

Coming down to personal taste however, anyone is entitled to make their car sound how they choose. But, enough is enough of calling the Sound Symposer a fake sound. It is as real as shaping your exhaust or changing the intake to amplify/alter the sound.
    BRGT350 likes this.
  7. koozy

koozy Active Member

interestingly Porsche also uses sound symposers for the same reason Ford has.
  8. Die Trying

Die Trying New Member

When I test drove a FIST before buying mine I took notice of the sound symposer and I rather liked it. When I took possession of my own FIST I noticed the symposer sounded something like a cross between a kazoo and the worst dash rattle you have ever heard. I ripped the symposer out a few weeks ago (used the boomba kit) and I couldn't be happier. There must have been something wrong with mine, it was so annoying it actually kept my foot out of the accelerator because the sound acted as negative reinforcement prompting me to back off the throttle every time I gave it a bit of a flogging.
  9. Chris G

Chris G Member

I just removed mine yesterday. Everything seems smoother now, but I think it's in my mind. Either way, I am happy. There is still more noise (engine and intake) than I thought there would be. I was worried it was going to be too quiet.

I never really hated the symposer, but it was a little annoying when on the freeway and trying to make a pass in 6th gear.
  10. OrangeFist

OrangeFist Member

Why is something that is negative called "gay?" I am sorry to be off topic but isn't there something in the forum rules about this?

back on track: I like the symposer myself.
    dmeckert and LuvfiestaST like this.
  11. Carlos V.

Carlos V. New Member

I personally dislike the sound symposer, and when I hate it the most is traveling at 120km/h on the highway the noise drives me crazy. Plugging in in the next few weeks.
  12. I really like my Sound-Synth, I have talked to a few people that like to disconnect it for long road-trips though.