Factory powder coat

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Wheel and Tire Upgrades' started by Eric Hamann, May 8, 2015.

1. Eric Hamann

Eric Hamann Member

Anyone having issues with chipping? My factory wheels are chipping like crazy in weird places

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

the factory wheels are painted and clear coated.

4. Eric Hamann

Eric Hamann Member

Gotcha.. Man they are choppin like crazy I just went to ford to get new tires and they chipped them all up trying to get te tires on and now they are saying that's my problem

5. BRGT350

Typical dealer response :( When I had the Fiesta Movement ST, every time we had the tires replaced, the wheels came back more and more chipped. A different dealer did the tire rotation on our Escape and chipped them as well. They said I had chipped them and it came like that. I don't let any dealership handle the aftermarket wheels on my ST after seeing them damage so many different wheels over the years. Talk to Ford Customer Service about the issue as they might be able to help. I assume you have chips around the centercap, edge of the wheel, raised section of the spokes, and lug nut openings. That is where the wheels on the prototype ST were damaged after getting different tires. Most wheels had about a dozen chips on them and 0 chips when I dropped the car off.

6. Eric Hamann

Eric Hamann Member

Yup! This is crazy? Is it common? I'll talk to the owner of the dealership, they will replace my wheels that's for sure!

7. FordService

FordService Official Ford Representative

Thanks for the shout out! As of right now, his dealer is in the best position to assist further, but I'll be around if Eric needs me later. :)

Meagan

8. Eric Hamann

Eric Hamann Member

Yea I want to see what he says although he said he would call me back twice and I haven't heard back I've had to call him and he doesn't return my phone calls soooo...

9. Eric Hamann

Eric Hamann Member

Ok so he called me this morning.. They are going to "fix" my rims. One or two of them already had chips on them from me (which, fine they won't fix those) my question is how are they going to warranty that work? And are they going to put filler on my rims to bring up the indents? Not sure I like this idea!

Any help or advise guys?

10. Cesso

Cesso Member

The paint is exceptionally weak on the factory wheels, some of the worst I have seen. I got a few massive chips in the first 1500 miles of very light driving. Honestly I just stopped caring about the wheels, if the paint is that thin nothing you can do will prevent it from falling off. Once they get bad enough I'll powder coat them a matching color and I won't have to worry about the strength of the finish anymore.

11. BRGT350

I had the wheels on our Escape "fixed" and no problems after almost a full year of driving on them. I haven't noticed any of the repaired areas chipping.

12. Eric Hamann

Eric Hamann Member

I mean they fixed it decently I guess... They missed spots on some rims, one has a flat spot from what they filled it with and another spot I can see brush marks! But hey I guess it's better than nothing... Still upset with the outcome though.

-Eric