First Terrible Experience

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Sales and Service' started by Christian Whitmore, Aug 12, 2014.

1. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

The entire skirt did not come off, only a portion of it directly below the passenger side rear door. I was able to pop it back in, but have been watching it for the past few days, and no I was not kicking off any ice to trigger it popping off, I believe that the chassis flexing over a speed bump is what triggered it to want to come free. Hopefully this is an isolated incident, and to be honest I had one of those 'I am not even mad, I am impressed' moments because of how cold it was here in Pittsburgh last week. Cheers

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

I highly doubt the chassis would flex enough to cause a flexible skirt to come loose. There is very little chassis flexing and if you took the speed bump at a 90 degree angle, the suspension takes all of the movement. You would need a cross load to put any twist into the chassis. My guess is that the skirt is damaged from a lift of a jack and if any ice built up on the skirt, it caused it to pull away. Or, you had ice build up under the skirt, ran over the speed bump, the ice and speed bump made contact and put an upwards force on the skirt cause it it come off. Not even a Fox Mustang convertible flexes enough to pop a skirt off and those things have the chassis rigidity of a wet noodle.

captainmorbid likes this.
  4. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

That could definitely be the case, if someone else has this issue though, would be interested in hearing of it.

5. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

When I had the Fiesta Movement ST, using a jack with a wide pad or a chassis lift would make the skirts pop. It wouldn't take much to pop out a christmas tree clip and then the skirt comes loose later.

6. eRic

eRic Active Member

one of the caps popped loose when I spun and hit a cone with the skirt during an autocross.