Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by Cligedy, Nov 10, 2013.

1. eRic

eRic Active Member

reading the 2014 SCCA Solo rules online and the Fiesta ST should be classed in Street Touring® Xtreme (STX) based on:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Partial quote from earlier in the thread, FWIW:

4. limbo

limbo Active Member

Well, it's official. Fast track released today classes the FiST in STX. I still think it is outgunned but I don't see a better place for it in ST.
    RodMoe likes this.
  5. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
  6. limbo

limbo Active Member

I think it would dominate STC.
  7. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Probably...kind of between classes, one it will probably dominate and one that it will get crushed in. The good news here is that I am now not tempted to put the car in a ST class so I will save money on upgrades...the bad news is I was looking forward to spend money on upgrades.
    k757 likes this.
  8. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

The car would probably be competitive in Stx, at least locally. A lot of the minor mods people seem to like for this car would be perfect for Stx; boost hoses, downpipe, rear motor mount are all legal and worthwhile upgrades. A limited slip and a modest (no boost changes) tune would make a huge difference. Coilover options are already available. Stx isn't a non-starter for this car by any means.

That said, I chased my Miata down the STS rabbit hole and wound up with a car that wasn't a very good daily driver. I don't want to repeat that... for now, anyway. :cool:
  9. k757

k757 Active Member

With my local club that has multiple STX cars (decent drivers), I have finished second in raw to them if I had been competing.... and I'm GS still. At a national level event, I think the FIST would have quite a hill to climb.
  10. limbo

limbo Active Member

I am in the same boat. My str s2k was not a very fun dd, I think the fist would be pretty bearable though. (Of course depending on optimal spring rates)

stx tune and LSD would be fun. Rwd and similar weight/power brZ twins on bigger tires would be stiff competition at national level. IMO

Would love to see someone give it a go, though. I bet it would be a riot and very competitive for most locals.
  11. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

The way I read the STX rules, you can't change anything between the turbo inlet and the engine, so no turbo upgrade, no charge tube replacement, no FMIC upgrade, no throttle body upgrade. Otherwise I think you are right and an LSD is high on my list ... pending how the car drives this weekend at my first autox with the car. So far it's still a perfect daily driver and I'm not looking to be nationally competitive with the car.
  12. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Good catch, I think you're right. I hadn't given much thought about how the intake plumbing is run. You can only modify up to the turbo inlet.
    That said, I do think this could be a nationally competitive car in GS. I hope to find out by next year. :)
    spangenb likes this.
  13. limbo

limbo Active Member

I think you proved that with the trophy at atl in a car with only wheels/tires. A little less drag strip and some more product development and it's right there with the focii.
  14. limbo

limbo Active Member

I think you proved that with the trophy at atl in a car with only wheels/tires. A little less drag strip and some more product development and it's right there with the focii.
    spangenb likes this.
  15. Matt

Matt New Member

I think the FiST will be able to do really well in STX, especially given how Craig Wilcox's Mini Cooper S is doing this year. For reference he is running a OS Giken LSD, JRi coilovers with custom autocross valving by Hanchey Vehicle Technologies, and 15x9" front wheels with 15x8 rears. A FiST with a Quaife LSD, the same wheel sizes, and a well sorted suspension doesn't really give up anything to the Mini besides maybe a bit higher CG due to how tall the car is, and probably is capable of better acceleration. That centers around what sort of boost you can get in 2nd gear though, does anyone know if the Cobb tune gets rid of the 18 psi limit in 2nd gear the car has from the factory? That is a gray area to me in the ST rules- you can't increase boost over stock levels, but what if boost levels are different in 2nd gear? Anyways with a intake and 3" exhaust we should still be at something like 240 wtq I think?

The other important factor will be getting some nice shocks that you can swap the spring rates and change valving on easily in order to dial in the right amount of rotation. I think a set of Koni sports with coilover sleeves could work decently well for that, along with camber bolts on both upright mounting points to get 3+ deg static camber.

Here is a chart of top STX cars' thrust in 2nd gear. This is going off a stock FiST tune (with a 7k rpm redline), I was being conservative there. The FoST and MCS assume tuned engines, I can provide the dyno plots I used if anyone is interested. You can see that with some engine work the FiST could be faster than a FoST at autocross speeds, and it is already close (also note this is with 225/45-15 tires, which have a 23" diameter).

jimclark and spangenb like this.
  16. limbo

limbo Active Member

The way I read the rules, boost pressure can not change at all so you can't remove the truncation in 2nd gear. Power wise the car should be able to hang no problem. The brZ/rx8/bmw will be faster through large sweepers because rwd and more tire.
  17. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

But you really wouldn't be changing the pressure limits....just when the boost actually happens....:mischievous:
  18. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

Any direct change to boost controls is illegal for street and even STX. The tune actually bumps me to DSP.
  19. Matt

Matt New Member

Yeah reading the rules again, it would take a pretty big step into a gray area to justify bumping the boost in 2nd gear to match 3rd gear. It says "no changes to standard boost levels, intercoolers, or boost controls are permitted."

I don't mind so much, and I think bumping the rev limiter to 7k rpm and re-tuning for the intake and exhaust will be plenty. I have usually found that once you have sufficient levels of power, more power rarely makes you any faster- it just increases the chances of getting on the throttle too hard/too soon, spinning your tires, and blowing the run.
    spangenb likes this.
  20. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

So is removing the 1st & 2nd gear torque truncation via tune allowed? That is the big limiting factor.
  21. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

As I read the rules, any tune that alters boost controls--including, it would appear, the limitations on boost in 1st and 2nd, as these are pretty obviously "controls" on boost--shifts the car beyond STX even, into DSP, I believe. Here's the applicable clause:

"no changes to standard boost levels, intercoolers, or boost controls are permitted. Boost changes indirectly resulting from allowed modifications are permissible but directly altering or modifying the boost or turbo controls, either mechanically or electronically, is strictly prohibited." [p.86] [Italics added.]

Which is perhaps a little bit of a bummer, as I'd been kinda-sorta thinking about the Mountune intake/tune kit when it becomes available. But to end up running in a class like DSP? That doesn't seem like a good choice to me, at least for now.