Ford Accessport V3

Discussion in 'COBB Tuning' started by mcummings182, Nov 4, 2013.

1. iLiptiKal

iLiptiKal Active Member

Thanks for the quick reply! Too bad that to hear though.

Is this something you guys would be able to introduce in a future update? This seems like it would be beneficial to anyone who has a different wheel & tire size for racing, as well as people like myself who require snow tires 5 months a year. Being able to program different maps along with each wheel and tire setup seems like a no-brainer, no?

If this isn't possible, can anyone suggest another solution? Other than paying the dealership that is.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

You could always relocate to where you can use your snow tires 12 months a year. ;)

4. captainmorbid

captainmorbid Active Member

The house next door is up for sale.
    Firesail likes this.
  5. Kevin R

Kevin R Member

6. Parker

Parker Member

just picked mine off from rallysport this afternoon. nothing like saving 50 bucks!

Question for all you cobb AP pros (or semi-pros) anyone set their shift light rpms yet? was reading the full manual (which I had to find online - and it said "By default, the shift light RPM is set above the stock redline. This essentially disables the shift light since that RPM will not be reached. You will need to lower the RPM to enable this feature."

So what RPMs are you guys setting yours at? I have no idea where to set it... thanks!
  7. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

I may live and breathe all things Fiesta, but I am new when it comes to the tuner. My ZX3 was untuned because nothing really existed besides Superchip back in 2000-2003. I had a FSWerks SCT XCAL2 on my SVT Focus and loved it. My 2011 Fiesta is untunable. In other words, I have very little knowledge of the tuners.

1) If I get the Cobb Accessport from Cobb or FSWerks, do they have different tunes? Does Cobb place their tune in the AP and FSWerks does their tune, and they are different depending on where you get them from.

2) If I start with the Cobb Stage 1 kit and use that for a year or so, and then change over to a different intake and exhaust, do I need a new tune program?

3) In the winter when the gas is blended with some low quality crap, is it better to run the 87 octane tune with 89 octane fuel? I am ok with dropping the performance in the winter when speeds are much lower and I don't need the any extra power. Actually, the stock ST is a handfull in the snow on proper tires, I don't need to make it any worse.

4) Can the Accessport be used to read codes on other cars? For example, if I get a CEL on our 2013 Escape, can I use the AP to read it?
  8. Kevin R

Kevin R Member

They should all come with the Cobb OTS maps. I think other tuners have the option of putting their own maps on as well but not sure which ones do (Mountune does according to their web site).

If it's anything like Subaru, they usually have a different tune for a full turbo back exhaust. Cobb should have a stage 2 OTS map that would cover it by then.

Not sure on that one, my Subaru ran fine using the normal OTS map all year.

Nope, it can only be used on the car it's 'married' to.
  9. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Yes, typically the AP will come with Cobb's Off-the-Shelf (OTS) maps that are for Stage 1 (no hardware mods). If you buy it from FSWerks then you can usually download their maps and put them on the AP with the AP Manager software you run on a PC. Be aware if FSWerks or Cobb come out with tunes for hardware mods they are typically to support their own parts. They may work okay with somebody else's intake or exhaust, but the only way to get a proper tune for all your mods if they are mix-and-match is to get a custom tune with dyno time like I did at Innovative Tuning in Buffalo.

If you have "real" winter like I do and run snow tires, then I had great luck running the Cobb "Economy" tune in the winter. It limits boost to 6 psi which gives the car great snow manners and also makes great economy. I rationalize that I pay for my summer fun with winter economy. Since you are only running 6 psi, then 87 octane gas works fine and you save a ton there too.

Like Kevin R said. You "marry" the AP to your vehicle and it can only be used on that vehicle unless you completely uninstall it from your car so you can sell it, etc. I also believe the firmware is specific to the model of car, so I don't think the firmware for FiST would talk to an Escape properly. That being said, you can get lots of devices that will connect your phone or tablet to the OBD port with BlueTooth and read codes or run gages that way.
  10. BRGT350

awesome, thanks guys. This is exactly the type of feedback I am looking for.

I think the first modification will be the Cobb stage 1 kit with the AP, filter, and torque mount. That will get me covered until I find the right intake and exhaust, which is split between FSWerks and Cobb (judging from prototypes). As for winter, my 2011 with 130hp has plenty of power. I would be happy to cut power in the winter when I don't need it, use cheaper 87 octane fuel, and then change it in the spring when I switch to summer tires.
    Firesail and spangenb like this.
  11. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

You may wantto look at a COBB AP from Mountune also as Randy is there now and if you get one with the Bespoke tune you get free email tunes for 45 days or so..
    Also I ran the OTS 91 Oct map all winter running 93 oct gas when i could find it (most times just had to plan ahead) and the car ran fine.
    My only concern about a open air filter for our area is the hidden large pot hole full of water that is waiting for a unsuspecting Fiesta driver to find and go kersplash water all up under the hood.. so a water sock would be a safe bet .. Also BRGT I know how ya feel about no season tires but you may want o give Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 have not had these in the snow yet but i grabbed a set for my tweener tires after reading the wet handling review and after driving on them in a most awesome road covering downpour for like 30 miles all I can say is they are AWESOME in the rain and standing water as well as plenty grippy in the dry if they work as well in the cold and first snow if i get caught out in it they will be on most of my cars very good tire for the tweener season of too cold for summers but too dry and warm for the Winter Snows ;)
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  12. CarefreeAZ

CarefreeAZ Active Member

Rodmoe, I'm thinking the same as you on this. And, like BRGt350, I have not tuned a vehicle before but basically he asked and you answered all the questions I have at present. Regarding the Michelin Pilot SS/AS3, I think my OEM 'stones will take me well past 20,000 miles through this Summer/early Fall. Then, I will get a set of Michelins for winter driving here in Milwaukee. As for the tune, I'm waiting for mountune's final Ford warranty approval on their PS215 kit. As I have a 100000 mile powertrain warranty on the ST, I'd like to keep the tuning part clean.
  13. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Cool glad to help and one correction they are Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 not "SUPER" just Pilot Sports My bad... I can't read without my trifocals butthats for a different thread.. lol
  14. BRGT350

I haven't ruled out the Mountune stuff yet, but it is very pricey. I also don't want the dealer installing anything on my cars as I don't trust the mechanics to do it right. I would rather take my time and double check everything instead of having some dirty mechanic rush around trying to beat flat rate.

I have always been super impressed with everything from FSWerks, and I know Cobb is well loved from a lot of Subaru owners. It is nice to have time to really research the products before buying them. Typically, I buy all sorts of stuff for my car before it arrives and it is typically some of the first parts sold to the public. My 2000 ZX3 and 2011 Fiesta were full of parts that were some of the first made.

For tires, I will be using P215/40 17 Yokohama S-Drive's for the summer and General ArticMax tires in the winter. The Generals do ok with warmer temps for the in between seasons. The Bridgestones and stock wheels will be sold right away.
  15. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Ahh Ok I was thinking of the COBB AP only not any of the hardware type product. The AP is around the same price most places and with Mountune having Randy now, It was why I went FSWERKS and why I now have a COBB AP from Mountune and am working with him on a few Tunes or Maps for my car .. fun fun fun ..
  16. BRGT350

Buying the Cobb Stage 1 makes the most sense from a money standpoint since it includes the tuner, filter, and transmission mount. You basically get the filter for free going with the package. Randy did a wonderful job tuning my SVT Focus and his support over the years has been nothing short of fantastic.
  17. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Agreed I am now finding that out first hand even though he is swamped he is still a fun guy and from the looks and feel a great tuner :) Very happy so far...
    Mikeygti likes this.
  18. Mikeygti

Mikeygti Active Member

In a conversation I had with Randy the other day, we both agreed being "swamped" is far better than the alternative :eek:
    RodMoe likes this.
  19. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Yes very much so :)
  20. Randy@mountune

Randy@mountune Active Member

Rod, I sent you a new file just a bit ago. The data is looking very nice. I turned up the juice for you just now... :cool:
    RodMoe likes this.
  21. Randy@mountune

Randy@mountune Active Member

I sent out a few files to some new people on here a earlier today, too. You'll have to let me know if you're on here! :cool:
    TheTruthHurts78 likes this.