Ford Accessport V3

Discussion in 'COBB Tuning' started by mcummings182, Nov 4, 2013.

1. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Good Deal I will go look :)
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. TheTruthHurts78

TheTruthHurts78 New Member

Randy, quick question. Do you find that the mountune tunes are better in comparison to the Cobb tune.

I am currently running the Cobb Stage 1 91 ver 102 and have looked into purchasing/downloading the Mountune tune but I am not sure if the tune is (better).....thoughts?

I really like the Cobb tune but have heard great things about the Mountune stuff....

I know your busy so others can chime in and educate me....please....:happy:.
  4. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

IF this is not correct Randy plz make it so but here goes.. Randy I think does Randy Tunes on the COBB AP Mountune does there tunes on the M-COBB AP (not sure where the MR Mountune Race tunes fall in this) So I have a COBB AP purchased through Mountune and am being tuned via email by Randy This is not yet availble for the M-Tune if ever.. Hope that makes some sense.. I can still use any COBB OTS tune or other shared tune Via the ATR software.. I can not use M tunes ..
  5. Kevin R

Kevin R Member

I think it's only a matter of time before people start posting dyno results from both. Of course dyno charts can't tell you how the car feels with a tune but it's one way to compare.

Personally, I'd like to see a comparison between the Cobb OTS stage 1 map and the MP215. Chances are someone will be switching from Cobb to MP215 so it will be interesting to hear their opinion.
  6. TheTruthHurts78

TheTruthHurts78 New Member

Thanks guys! Interested to see comparisons. If I can get a better tune, using my already purchased Accessport without having to buy a different tuner....Money!

It's cool having different tunes accessible......
  7. Firesail

Firesail Active Member

I may be one of those once I make up my mind whether I want to make the plunge - I already have the complete intake setup and an AP running the Stage 1 93 octane version 102. I really like the idea of being covered with warranty.
  8. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

So, if I get the Stage 1 kit from Cobb with the tuner, transmission mount, and filter (since it looks to be the best deal concerning price and all stuff I plan to buy anyway) can I purchase the Mountune optimized tune later and have it loaded on to the Cobb Accessport? I would assume that would work just fine if I decided on different tuning based on my specific modifications and driving.

Is it correct the Cobb OTS tune is not the same as the Mountune OTS tune? They both use the same tuner, but the programming is different. Is the Mountune tune designed more to be used with the MP215 kit with the induction tube, filter, and lower filter housing where the Cobb OTS tune is better suited for everything stock or with a drop-in filter? Or are they both ok to be used with either all stock induction parts or the full MP215 induction kit (or similar air intake modifications)?
  9. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

There is one other thing that you should conceder.
    Although the AP is the same and sold by different vendors it is supported in different ways.
    Any tune that any vendor puts out for public use will work on all APs.
    However some tunes provided by vendors can be locked to certain APs and or your VIN.

For example:
    mountune will provide custom tunes for you at $149.00 however only if you purchased the AP from them.
    I do believe that FS Werks has a similar policy.

So maybe you need to think about your TUNER as well.

RodMoe likes this.
  10. BRGT350

Thanks Dave. If I go with the Mountune version of the Accessport, it can only be updated or changed with programs from Mountune. That makes sense.

I guess at the end of the day, I am not sure what the advantage of going with the Cobb AP from Cobb or the Cobb AP from Mountune or FSWerks. The only way to get warranty support is with the full MP215 kit, which is more than I am planning on doing right away and I don't trust a dealer to install the entire kit properly. It would be better if you could maintain the warranty with the Mountune AP without buying the entire kit at once.

Are there any functions (monitoring temps, pressure, ect) that are unable to be used if you go with the Mountune AP versus Cobb or FSWerks? I understand the Mountune AP is locked, which I assume means that I (end user) can't modify any parameters for the engine. That is ok by me as I have no interest in going off and trying tuning on my own.

Trying to find out the difference between the MP215 Mountune tune and the Cobb OTS tune isn't easy. Do they both offer the same performance, same monitoring, same functions? Is the limited boost in 1st and 2nd removed with both tunes? What about launch control? The Cobb OTS has tunes for 91, 93, and economy 87. I don't see anything listed like that for the Mountune, leading me to think the Mountune is locked to either 91 or 93 depending on what you order.
  11. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Very True Though some Tuners will sell their tunes though I would Imagine Like Randy's they are or will be Locked as your say.. When Mountune had the end of May sale they offered the tuning service WITH the AP witch I was confused about at the time but went ahead and swapped AP's from the FS to my now Mountune just to follow Randy As I bought my AP from FS while he was there working and the rest is history... With what we have been doing in the tune (A 91 Oct catted DP) I am Happy with the Vdyno numbers over 205 and 255 and it just flipping RUNS ...
    Good Advice Dave ..
  12. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

BRGT350 if you get a COBB AP from Mountune it is like ANY other open source AP vs the Mtune AP which will only run M or maybe MR tunes My Mountune purchased COBB AP has ALL the OTS tunes from COBB as well as my own ATR tweaked ones and the Randy locked tunes as well they all work and they all play well together.. But If you want a Randy tune you MUST at this point in time Buy the AP from Mountune just like when he was at FSWERKS I am guessing..
    From What I understand the Mtunes are locked and like super secrect even Mountunes US tuners can't or won't say what is in them lol now Does the MP215 kit offer updates or is it a one shot deal ? this is what you bought no upgrades .. And the MR(M Race)tunes from what I understand ARE NOT covered under Ford Warranty . which for me is fine if they bring TV tunes to the states and they work with a LSD
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  13. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Again, know your tuner.
    Braden with Cobb and Randy with mountune are VERY good at what they do.
    Also don't be confuse between the M-Tune and AP.
    The M-Tune is locked.
    However the AP can be used with the Accesstuner Race or Pro that you can buy and make your own maps.

I am using a Cobb AP.
    I have all mountune parts in front of the turbo and I am very happy with the way they work.
    I am also very pleased with knowledge that mountune has been working with Ford for many years and a LOT of research has gone into their products.

Unfortunately these are all decisions you will need to make for yourself.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    RodMoe likes this.
  14. BRGT350

ok, huge help on this guys! So the M-Tune and AP are not the same thing. I had thought the Mtune was just Mountune being abbreviated, but wasn't sure.

To recap,
    • The Cobb AP from Mountune includes all the Cobb OTS tunes and features.
    • OTS tune from Cobb and Mountune are the same.
    • If you want a tune from Randy, you need the Mountune purchased Cobb AP. (same if you want a Cobb tune, you need to buy from Cobb, and FSWerks tune from FSWerks)
    • Custom Randy tunes require the $150 optimized package.
    • The tunes from FSWerks, Cobb, and Mountune are all the same for the AP, the only difference the person who programs the tunes that go beyond what comes loaded with the OTS programming.
    • OTS tune works with drop-in filter, silicone hoses, Mountune induction air box, or CAI.
    • Exhaust (both cat-back, catted or non-catted downpipe) require additional tuning.

My plans are for a tuner and drop-in filter for this year, Mountune lower induction kit in 2015, silicone hoses and cat-back exhaust in 2016. With those modifications in mind, the OTS tune from either Mountune or Cobb would play nicely with everything I am planning over the next few years and no need for custom tuning.

Where to buy the Cobb AP really comes down to what the future plans are and who you want to do the tuning as the car is developed. If they all start with the same OTS tunes, all have the same features, all monitor the same engine parameters, then the only question is who do you want to program the car later. Is there anything I missing with my assessement?
  15. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

One thing about FSWERK when I asked about the Tunes I was supposed to get because I ordred the AP from them. I got back the reply of something like "We can't offer that at this time and have no ETA of when we will offer that" SO be sure to ASK Questions before you purchase hopefully by the time you are ready to buy it will be resolved. Just a thought ...
  16. BRGT350

I have pretty much decided between Cobb (well respected in the world of tuning) and Mountune (Randy is there, huge history of properly engineering products for Ford, lots of race history, and I begged for Mountune parts since 2009). Both tuners are the same price, offer the same performance, same monitoring, and same features. Cobb has the advantage of buying Stage 1 and basically getting a free filter since the tuner is $500, transmission mount is $150, kit is $650 with filter.
  17. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Yup nice stuff I am looking forward to working with him on the E30 tune if it happens heard and have seen neat stuff when running the corn squeezins..
  18. Kevin R

Kevin R Member

Here's a much simpler way to look at it. All Cobb AccessPorts are the same but some shops will also include one of their own tunes as an incentive for you to buy it from them rather than someone else. Any maps Cobb release for the public are posted on their web site and can be loaded onto any AccessPort. Any maps a specific shop release are probably locked to the AccessPorts bought from them.

To clarify, when I say 'All/Any' AccessPorts I do mean the AccessPort made for that model of car LOL.
  19. Randy@mountune

Randy@mountune Active Member

Aside from Cobb, not many programmers for the Fiesta ST are out there. I drive a Fiesta ST daily and program my car several times per week. I'm pleased with the current file I'm running so I'm leaving it be right now and putting miles on it. Rod and Dave now have my files in their Fiesta ST. And there are a few other guys on here now, too, with my programming. It makes good sense to buy from Mountune since you get all of the Cobb files AND the Mountune bespoke calibration, too. And as mentioned you can also get the custom calibration to take it even further. :cool:
  20. BRGT350

Thanks Randy,
    Yeah, it is looking like I will get the Cobb AP from Mountune when it comes time to order. I will do the drop-in filter at the same time. After that it will be between the Mountune lower airbox or the silicone tube kit.

Now I just need the car to get built so I can start playing with it!
    spangenb likes this.
  21. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Now if we could just get those airboxes in stock .. lol

Nice Difference in Tunes I must say it really rolls now on the big end ..
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    Randy@mountune likes this.