Ford Accessport V3

Discussion in 'COBB Tuning' started by mcummings182, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Kevin R

Kevin R Member

OK, thanks. None of the maps are showing up on it but the AccessPort isn't installed yet so I wasn't sure if that was why. The release notes for the new firmware listed all the new v103 maps which is why I thought maybe they were automatically installed with the firmware update.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

I think the firmware rev and map version go together. In other words you need the new firmware to take advantage of the new maps, so that's why the release notes mention the new maps.

4. David W

David W Member

I was just wondering if it is better to use the 91 map instead of the 93 if I'm using 93 octane because I hear the 93 is too aggressive and works better with the 91. Anyone know?

5. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

People complaining about it being "too aggressive" complained back at V100 of the tune; this was the most aggressive for 91 and 93 octane for off the shelf. This early version DOES NOT have Flat Foot Shifting or Launch Control.

Then V102-103 came out, which were dialed back due to people bitching about traction in 1st, and many people said their cars actually felt slower than stock. V104 seems to have remedied this. I do not think either V104 tune is overly "aggressive." The off the shelf maps from Cobb are quite conservative. You are overthinking it.

Use the fuel map for the fuel type you are using. If you have 93 octane available use the 93 tune. If you are on 91 octane only use the 91 tune and do not use 93 tune at all.

6. David W

David W Member

Thanks for the help. I am about to order the accessport and just wanted to make sure I run the right maps and yea you're right the "too aggressive" reviews were like half a year ago so it should be good now. Once I get it I will run the 93 map then. Do you know exactly how the laugh control works? Is it able to be edited?

7. Randy@mountune

Randy@mountune Active Member

The LC can be changed to whatever you'd like. Not sure if you are considering Mountune, but we do sell the AP and give you free Mountune programming along with the Cobb programming. :)

http://www.mountuneusa.com/COBB-V3-Accessport-ECU-Flasher-Focus-ST-Fiesta-ST-p/ap3-for-001.htm

ted lorendo likes this.
  8. David W

David W Member

I'm looking at getting the one from the cobb website but they didn't have these options for what rpm you want the launch control and is it better to have the shift assist disabled? I don't know exactly what that is.

9. Randy@mountune

Personal preference is what it comes down to. Most people have me disable the shift assist. :)

The shift assist is a driving aid that causes the revs to hang a bit in between shifts. Rev hang is what most call it. Drives some people crazy.

10. David W

David W Member

All of that can be changed through the accessport too though right if I don't like it a certain way? I might just buy it from you guys because I also saw you guys have an inter cooler. Would I be getting any more power with your upgraded inter cooler?

11. Randy@mountune

You can't change it with the AP. You have to have someone like me do it. Or you can spend the $150 extra and buy the Cobb ATRace software to do it yourself.

Our FMIC will give you cooler charge temps going into the engine and that means more consistent power.

12. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

David, I would recommend checking into custom tuning from Mountune for your application for maximum power gain - the tune Randy's put together for my current setup is very smooth.

13. David W

David W Member

Is the custom tunning difficult? I don't really wanna okay around with it mostly just plug in and use maps that are already on the AP

14. Randy@mountune

If you just want to raise the idle, etc, that is easy. Actual custom programming is not easy, even though I sometimes see people saying that it is. It's not easy LOL.

15. golfhack

golfhack Member

Definitely not easy! I might take a loss and sell my AP with the Access tuner software and get Mountune's because of Randy's experience.

16. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

Well that depends on what you are asking. Is installing a Custom Tune significantly harder than a OTS tune? Not really, if you can use email and download an attachment, then just use the AccessPORT manager program (FREE from Cobb) and drag the tune file onto your accessport.

If you're asking about actually modifying the tune file yourself, it's a lot harder to get power out of it than you might think. While it's fairly easy with some units like SCT X4 to do some adjustments (idle speed, fan speeds, shift firmness) it's not easy to create a fuel map that will outperform the OTS map without a good bit of know-how. Randy over there uses the tears of gnome children to power his computer when writing his tunes, so that's why his tunes are so potent.

I suggest acquiring the blood of a virgin Field Fairie to sacrifice over your AccessPORT for the bloodmagicks necessary to invoke the spirits of boost and spark for proper tuning wizardry.

...nah but seriously unless you really know what you are doing, the average end user should not be screwing around WRITING THEIR OWN custom maps. Cobb makes it an option so that the few who do have a clue how to handle this heavy-duty software responsibly can do so. I would highly recommend buying a custom tune from a reputable tuner like Randy, but would advise against trying to make your own custom tunes unless you REALLY know what you're doing.

Firesail likes this.
  17. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

any confirmation on the compatibilty with the 2015 ST? Hoping to get the Mountune AP at the end of the month, assuming there is a Labor Day sale and it will work on the 2015 cars.

18. COBB

COBB Active Member

2015 support is coming soon!

Cheers,
    Braden @ COBB

19. David W

David W Member

I'm currently running stage 1 from Cobb and was wondering if I get a mountune fmic and air induction kit if I would still be using stage 1 maps or stage 2?

20. Firesail

Firesail Active Member

My inclination is that if you install both the full induction kit and the FMIC then you can use the Stage 2 tunes.

21. David W

David W Member

I'm currently running stage 1 from Cobb and was wondering if I get a mountune fmic and air induction kit if I would still be using stage 1 maps or stage 2?