Ford adjusting advertised fuel mileage

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by Methane Herder, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

2. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

ST was excluded. They found the claims were accurate.

3. Sil3nt611

Sil3nt611 Active Member

I always figured the EPA rating wasn't that big of a deal personally. People have gotten plenty better than original EPA ratings which were already apparently overrated on the Fiesta auto.

4. mrtn

mrtn Active Member

Interesting. I traded in my 2012 Kia rio for the ST. Kia had the same issue with fuel ratings and I got a prepaid Visa card every year of about $120 depending on how many km/miles driven. Was pretty awesome to get something back. But my ST gets close to the same mileage the rio did...

5. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

I have yet to own anything that gets the MPG on the window sticker. The best MPG car I have driven has been the ST, which does better than my 2011 because you don't have to drive it WOT all the time to have it make power. Awhile ago, somebody had posted how the EPA figures MPG ratings and it seemed to be very unrealistic for normal driving conditions. I think highway speed was around 62mph.

6. DirtyBlueshirt

DirtyBlueshirt Active Member

Well, I'm getting my $250. Interesting that it only applies to 2014 models. I've noticed my MPG does seem to be a little lower than my 2011. It's possible the new front end is less aerodynamic.

Neely2005 likes this.
  7. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

That's to bad. Is it only the automatic Fiestas?

8. aborbs87

aborbs87 Active Member

No, the manual transmission Fiestas are also included.

9. Sil3nt611

Sil3nt611 Active Member

The manual 1.0L ecoboost is included, but the 1.6L manual was found to have the same combined rating. It got less on highway but more on city so they deemed it not worthy of a rebate.

10. aborbs87

aborbs87 Active Member

Yes our 1.6L in the ST is excluded as stated above. The non ST 1.6L manual is included along with the auto.

11. DirtyBlueshirt

DirtyBlueshirt Active Member

"Included" in the sense that the numbers were slightly affected (but not the combined economy, so no rebate for them).

12. Sil3nt611

Sil3nt611 Active Member

The 1.6L N/A manual was affected, but because the combined MPG turned out to be the same the owners don't get a rebate.

[​IMG]

13. aborbs87

aborbs87 Active Member

Ok thanks for clearing up. That was a bit confusing lol

Neely2005 likes this.
  14. BlackBird

BlackBird Active Member Staff Member

I've gotten consistently better fuel averages than the EPA estimate on both of my Fords. No complaints, here. I also don't drive everywhere like my hair's on fire, so there is that to take into consideration.

15. BostonDriver

BostonDriver Member

I'm not driving around very spirited at all and I'm only getting 26-28mpg combined... Definitely not getting close to the claimed 35 highway!!!

envyist likes this.
  16. xorpheous

xorpheous Member

I drive spiritedly on frequent occasion, but also do a lot of highway miles at 75mph. I'm getting 31.2 mpg average.

17. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

FWIW, you may want to check your mileage calculations yourself. My car is at least occasionally calculating incorrectly. On my recent trip, it calculated a 99% interstate highway stretch of about 200 miles at 30.6 mpg; my own calculations had it at 34.2 mpg.

18. xorpheous

xorpheous Member

Did you carry the 1?

19. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

Do you reset it every time that you fill up?

20. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Heh-heh. Well, actually, I had to borrow ten at one point, I think . . . .