Ford Sync device file indexing failure

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by dislegal, Jun 23, 2014.

1. dislegal

dislegal Member

I'm trying to find the file limit for media devices connected to Sync.

When I connect my iPhone 5S via USB, Sync displays an 'indexing...' message. After a couple of minutes, the system announces "Due to the number of files on your media device, voice commands cannot be used for this device" (or something very similar).

Ideally, I'd like to know the number of songs the system will happily index. I've been searching for a reason to go through my music library and remove the crud, so this may be nudge I need...

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. MasterPooBaa

MasterPooBaa Member

Read somewhere recently its around 1000?

4. dislegal

dislegal Member

Wow, 1,000 tracks seems extremely low!

5. speraw09

speraw09 New Member

Mine reads my ipod with 5000 tracks just fine.

dislegal likes this.
  6. FordIVTteam

FordIVTteam Official Ford Representative

This depends on the amount of metadata associated with your music, not necessarily the amount of tracks. Before you delete anything, try running the SYNC My iTunes tool. It helps organize the metadata so SYNC can index it easier: http://www.syncmyride.com/syncmedia/mediadownload/SYNC_My_iTunes_Setup.exe

You may need to be logged into your SYNC owner account before that link will download properly: www.Support.Ford.com

Kim

7. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

My Fiesta SES constantly ran out of indexing space after a month or so of continues connection with my 2500 song iPod. The only solution was to pull the F10 fuse. However so far my ST has been fine.

8. dislegal

dislegal Member

Thanks for the reply and info Kim. Is an OS X version of the software available? My iTunes Library is on a Mac. If not, what does the Sync My iTunes software do - perhaps I can achieve the same result through other means...?

9. FordIVTteam

Try logging into your SYNC account while you're on the Mac: www.Support.Ford.com
    Once you're logged in, scroll to the bottom and click SYNC SOFTWARE UPDATES, then scroll down again and you'll see some SYNC Troubleshooting Utilities listed. Click DOWNLOAD SYNC MY ITUNES.

In a nutshell, the tool deletes information that isn't recognized by SYNC (symbols, special characters, etc.) and fills in blank metadata. This makes it easier for SYNC to access all of the media in your music library.

Kim

10. dislegal

dislegal Member

Can someone in the US please post me a direct link to the MAC version of Sync my iTunes? I don't believe I can create an account on support.ford.com as it won't recognise my VIN. :(

EDIT: disregard the request for software - I've created an account using a US VIN, phone number and address. Anyone wanting the Mac software let me know, I'm happy to send it through.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  11. FordIVTteam

My apologies, dislegal. I didn't realize you were located in Australia. I'm trained to handle SYNC-inquiries for vehicles manufactured in the United States and Canada. I suggest checking out this link for accurate SYNC information about your vehicle: https://www.ford.com.au/sync/owner-login

Kim

12. dislegal

dislegal Member

Thanks for the reply Kim. Unfortunately the AU SYNC site is about as useful as tits on a bull, and the Sync my iTunes software is not offered to us. But we're used to getting stiffed down under.

I ran my Library through the Sync my iTunes software however I'm still getting the same prompt each time I connect my iPhone. Hopefully Ford can work on this and address it in a future firmware update.

13. onederer

onederer Member

Sync My ITunes has been miss and miss for me...I had a foul tip once where it actually got to within 2 files of completing then it errors out and I cannot continue. I've read about different settings in I tunes to tweak. Still nada.

dislegal likes this.
  14. FordIVTteam

Although the information may be a little different in Australia, we've tested the iPhone S5 with MyFord Touch here. According to our chart, the iPhone S5 doesn't list CONNECTING VIA USB as one of the supported features: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/sync-services-overview-sync-myford-touch This could be another reason it isn't working as well as some other types of devices. I'd have your dealership check this out the next time you're in for service. They might have some tips and tricks up their sleeves! :)

Hi onederer,

Are you receiving the same error message as dislegal or is your device constantly indexing? Which type of device are you connecting?

Kim

15. bobjob

bobjob Active Member

Iphone connects as a media device just like most smartphones, it will look like a usb storage or media device depending on the software. I have a 128gb sgcard pluged in the slot in the center console and every few days it will lose all the info and reindex the entire thing even though it hasnt been touched or removed. I also have more than 10k tracks (~90gb) on the card. I think the software that indexes should store the metadata on the device or internally. Song selection is limited while its reindexing.

I'm up to dat on SYNC/MFT too

16. dislegal

dislegal Member

Thanks Kim. I'll ask at the dealership next time I'm there. If nothing else, it would be nice to be able to disable the audible notification that speech commands are unavailable, and/or completely disable media indexing for speech commands via a menu setting. Although it may be nice to have, speech commands for audio is not a make or break feature for me. However having my music pause and hearing the announcement every time I plug my phone into the vehicle to charge, is annoying.

17. FordIVTteam

I can see where you're coming from. On the USA/CAN models, there are currently no settings to allow you to turn off the audible notification. Since you're already taking it to the dealership, it can't hurt to ask them. They'll be able to document your feedback at the very least! :)

Kim

18. tddawson

tddawson New Member

I cannot locate the Mac OS X version of 'Sync my iTunes' using these instructions:

'Try logging into your SYNC account while you're on the Mac: www.Support.Ford.com
    Once you're logged in, scroll to the bottom and click SYNC SOFTWARE UPDATES, then scroll down again and you'll see some SYNC Troubleshooting Utilities listed. Click DOWNLOAD SYNC MY ITUNES.'

Using the search tool on that web page also didn't produce a useful result.

Can someone please post a direct link where the Mac OS X version of 'Sync my iTunes' can be obtained?

Thank you.

19. koozy

koozy Active Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016