Ford to dump MS from SYNC

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by EcoBeast, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Ronbo

Ronbo Member

Agreed, however the MFT system as it currently exists allows for doing most anything you need while moving via voice commands as an alternative to using touch. My experience so far is that voice works pretty well. Having said that, it would be nice if we all had at least the option of upgrading to this new system.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

Voice commands, yes, aren't they lovely...

Assuming you've memorized the command you need (one of maybe a thousand?), or maybe stumble upon it while cursing at the system, you must then wait for the system to respond, and (hopefully) do what you want, not something else. To anyone who has ever used an old mechanical button system that reacts instantly, this is exasperating.

It's a wonderful system when you're sitting by the side of the road, but to try to select a track or album on an SD card (for example) while driving in rush our traffic is just asking for a side-swipe.
    MOFiST and scooby2 like this.
  4. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I would still pass on the Vette.

I don't have a garage.

5. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

well there ya go take the Vette sell it and get a garage :)
    ronnie karlen likes this.
  6. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I have a 500GB HD in mine and I have no trouble at all.

7. Firesail

Firesail Active Member

8. mrtn

mrtn Active Member

Does this mean our cars won't get sync updates anymore?
  9. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

You must have a photographic memory! :joyful:
    I only have a 60 GB SD card in mine & I'll be dammed if I can remember what I put on it back in October. My recollection is vague at best.

Maybe my methodology is flawed. I have albums in folders. Trying to choose an album while underway for me is an invitation to a wreck. If I don't do it before I start moving then I don't even try anymore.
  10. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

My file structure is very simple.
    Artist, album, song.

11. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

Do we get a QWERTY keyboard on the dash instead of the touch screen? That would be very Blackberry-like.
  12. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

hmmm Keyboard with Cupholder that be trick ...
  13. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

The keyboard should be mounted on the steering wheel but so that it does not rotate with the wheel.

14. kvetcha

kvetcha Active Member

Chrysler, Audi, and BMW in-car systems are already using QNX. It's a pretty slick basis for these sorts of things.

Sync just looks and feels years old.
  15. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Of course it does not matter how good QNX is if they can't migrate the current system to the new OS. If they can't I wonder what kind of support the current system will get...probably just bug fix type real development.
  16. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

You can be sure that no third party will make apps for a dead system.
    I would believe that only bug fixes that are currently in development would ever be released if at all.
    That might mean that NAV MAP updates also may never happen.
    I have never heard of Ford putting new software into old hardware that wasn't specifically designed for it.
    So the odds of us getting a new operating system are slim and next to none.

Slowclimb likes this.
  17. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Luckily I keep cars an average of 18 the Nav updates won't bother me. I like the sync, so not really in dire need of any updates at this point.
  18. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Although I try to keep cars a little longer.
    I too have no problems with the current system.

I just can't help thinking that Blackberry is a step backwards.
    Once again just my opinion.

19. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Big Ten Four on this !!
  20. kvetcha

kvetcha Active Member

If it helps, QNX was a separate company whose software has been powering all kinds of systems for years. They just got bought by Blackberry. :)
  21. chr0n0phage

chr0n0phage New Member

Yeah the whole idea that this is "Blackberry" and anything Blackberry is inherently and blindly something to hate on is incredibly shortsighted. Blackberry's are a dead product for many of us (myself included) but they are a hugely successful company who just happened to purchase the QNX Software Company. The core OS is great and should hopefully help the functionality of whatever Ford decides to put on top of it.

"Blackberry" should have nothing to do with this discussion and was put in the title of this article to stir up the uneducated FUD that's its doing right here in this thread. Hell, if we can get anything as slick as Audi has (Also has a QNX backend) then I don't see how this is a bad thing in any way.
    Firesail and reddog99 like this.