Found this article about incorrect octane and water in your gas! From the pump!

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by FSWerksVP, Oct 1, 2013.

1. FSWerksVP

FSWerksVP Active Member

I just happened across this article that a news station in the Dallas area ran. Give it a read, seriously.

I've known about this happening, but I didn't realize the enforcement was in place as much as the story says. I'm sure this scenario plays out the same across the entire USA. I think this should be policed a bit more, but I don't think the general public cares enough.
    rempwnz likes this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. tubbyaz

tubbyaz Member

When I was young, I worked at a gas station. Procedure is to regularly measure the level of fuel in the tanks with a very long stick (a 14 foot long ruler basically) and cross reference that with the tank's measurements to get the volume of the tank- it should go down the same number of gallons as you sold.

You also coat the end of the stick with a paste that detects water (i.e. turns red). The water settles to the bottom. You can have a bit of water down there and not harm anything, because the pump pickup is a few inches above the bottom of the tank.

BUT.... remember that when a load of gas is being delivered, it churns the bottom of the tank, mixing water with gas. Rule of thumb should be to NEVER purchase fuel from a station that is getting a delivery. Never never never.
    rempwnz likes this.
  4. FSWerksVP

FSWerksVP Active Member

I've heard about that rule. Have to say I've broken it before. With regret. :poop:
  5. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

Good find Randy, and great point tubbyaz.