Front license plates

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Exterior Upgrades' started by Removed, Aug 15, 2013.

1. wash

wash Active Member

A lot of modern cars are "bottom feeders" and don't need a front grill opening at all.

For Ford, the Aston Martin grill styling is cosmetic and my guess is that the blocked honeycomb is for aerodynamic reasons. Its a lot more aerodynamic to keep the air flowing outside the car than through the engine compartment.

Racers tape up grill openings all the time, balancing aerodynamics with engine temps.

The intercooler isn't blocked so we always get maximum charge cooling but the engine cooling system is thermostatic and it gets enough air to keep the temperature in the target range even during summer.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. iluv80rock

iluv80rock New Member

If your ST was already drilled for plates in the front, but you want to remove it and hide the holes, bumperplugs.com is a great alternative. They use the OEM paint, and I have Molten Orange which is a tri coat, and it matches pretty good. I can still see the red/orange shift in the plugs. Considering the 18 step process of doing it yourself, ~$30 is a great deal IMO. See my pics below.
    IMG_3862.jpg IMG_3864.jpg IMG_3865.jpg IMG_3866.jpg

DayJ, moff3tt and 70sstrat08 like this.
  4. DirtyBlueshirt

DirtyBlueshirt Active Member

Not really. If you look closely, the crash bar is directly behind there.

5. Nendez420

Nendez420 New Member

Smokin' I got my ST about 2 weeks ago out in Salina... it looks identical to the orange picture up top with the black front license plate. Does anyone know of anything we can put there to fill those two holes after removing the license plate that will look snazzy?

loliluv80rock beat me too it... 30$. That actually looks like a good solution... I was just going to throw a "Hook'em Horns" plate up there but yea... lol.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  6. a dusty taco

a dusty taco New Member

I was thinking of ordering from bumperplugs.com but for the time being I stopped at Auto zone and picked up a pack of "Bumper Clips" for like $3 and a can of Dupli-Color Perfect Match spray paint in Silver Metallic for like $8. Primed the plugs. Sanded them to take down some high spots due to it being an old can of primer. I put like 3 coats of paint and plan on doing a couple coats of Clear coat. Seems to match my Ingot Silver okay.

7. ghostwhite

ghostwhite Active Member

Once I found out the plate is ontop of the crash bar I don't car that it's there. It's not hurting airflow just looks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. DirtyBlueshirt

Firesail and LuvfiestaST like this.
  9. Nendez420

Nendez420 New Member

So I ordered the bumperplugs, Iluv80rock did you have to drill out the holes at all? The instructions say that I shouldn't force them in etc. Did you have any issues? Thanks.

10. Ben

Ben Member

How easy was it to swap from the US to the Euro-plates? I'm getting a US spec car with the front bracket, and I need to put the NL plates on it.

11. DirtyBlueshirt

Very easy. once you've drilled out the rivets and removed the bracket you can use those holes plus two additional that I drilled (still within the dimensions of the US bracket, easy to hide later on if I switch back) for stability. Then I used nylon rivets to attach the frame. Euro frames are usually pretty generous with mounting holes of various locations as you can see here:

[​IMG]
    photo 2
    by dirtyblueshirt, on Flickr

Ben likes this.
  12. Ben

Ben Member

Looks easy enough, thanks for the info!

13. Ben

Ben Member

I see where to drill, it doesn't look like the frame will be a problem to take off; however, I'm not sure how to get the bolt around the back, to install my euro frame. Right now, my euro frame is mounted on my US frame... it looks strange.

14. Pokey

Pokey New Member

Wondering if the plastic in the lower part of the grill is strong enough to support the weight of mounting driving lights if I used a backing plate without cracking the grill.

15. DayJ

DayJ New Member

They don't have Green Envy... I'll have to think of something else. Maybe I could give it some jeweled studs... lip piercings?