FS: Fiesta SES / Celica All Trac reminiscing

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jimlau, Feb 7, 2014.

1. jimlau

jimlau Member

Hey, I hope this is okay for this forum. I'm selling my previous Fiesta (owned by my company). Located in Metro Detroit. I imagine there may be others here who know and like these cars, and know someone who wants a non-ST? It has all the stuff, including FRPP handling pack suspension, short-throw shifter and exhaust!

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/4323672937.html

IMG_4998.jpg IMG_4999.jpg IMG_5001.jpg IMG_5002.jpg IMG_5003.jpg
    IMG_5004.jpg IMG_5005.jpg IMG_5006.jpg IMG_5007.jpg IMG_5008.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    CarefreeAZ likes this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. jimlau

jimlau Member

This car has been sold. Thanks for looking!

4. CarefreeAZ

CarefreeAZ Active Member

Jim..., one of my favorite cars all-time is the Celica All-Trac Turbo. If your memory permits, how's does it compare with your two Fiestas? Thanks.

5. jimlau

jimlau Member

Well, it was a long time ago and I was young, but I really really enjoyed it. It was part rally car and part luxury cruiser. It was quite heavy for what it was (power sunroof, bulky power seats with power bolster adjustment), AM Stereo radio(!) and, you know, cassette deck. I put a downpipe and full 3" exhaust on mine, and a short-throw shifter but that was about it for mods.

I had it for around four years, and vividly remember hauling ass with the windows down and sunroof open in nice weather, and doing my best Carlos Sainz impression in winters, constantly sideways and countersteering. I'd regularly have to keep the rear wiper going to keep snow off the back window during sideways driving. Never really super fast or dangerous, but always hanging the tail out. So much fun.

On the way to a college final (a math class), it started sputtering on the highway, spewing black smoke, and the engine sounded terrible. I got off the highway and slowed down, eventually stopping and called to get it (flat bed) towed to my parents' garage. I spun a road bearing, and over the ensuing 399 days my brother and dad and I removed the engine and trans and had the block bored out, turbo rebuilt, and everything put back together. That took forever because I could only afford pieces at a time but it was a really good learning experience. I just went through my photos from that to post a few here and remember the whole process fondly. After it was back together, I drove it for a few more months but it kept rusting through brake lines, and I wanted to get rid of it before it really broke down again. That thing was rusty.

Anyway, it wasn't actually that fast but the 3S-GTE sounded beautiful and I really dug the 80s styling. The steering wheel is large, and the liftback layout means the seating position was more laid back than our Fiestas. I never did take it to a track or autocross. I'm sure the handling wouldn't compare to anything so much newer, but it was a cool car to have, and I dig how rare it is/was.

The scary thing is how wonky my '11 Fiesta SES felt after getting used to the ST. The seats, clutch, brakes, and steering all felt really lame when I drove the older car a few times. I liked the SES while I had it, but man the ST is better in every way but fuel mileage. And the mileage isn't even too bad!

Thanks for the reply, and the excuse to relive the All Trac for a bit.

DSCF0028.jpg DSCF0023.jpg DSCF0030.jpg DSCF0011.jpg DSCF0002.jpg DSCF0015.jpg DSCF0018.jpg IMG_0933.jpg

6. CarefreeAZ

CarefreeAZ Active Member

Jim...thanks for the history. I drove my ST today for the first time in a month after using the SES in snow/cold weather. Different cars for sure but I enjoy driving both. ST power is the tie-breaker.