Fuel Cleaner with Tune

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Maintenance' started by mrtn, Jan 2, 2015.

1. mrtn

mrtn Active Member

I have always put fuel cleaner in my cars every year or so but with the MP215 installed is that a good idea? I'm not an expert at this at all, should I even be putting fuel system cleaner in the car? If so Should it be more often than one a year?
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Chuckable

Chuckable Member

I don't think the fact that you have the MP215 kit would make a difference of whether or not to use a fuel cleaner. Some swear by using a fuel cleaner, and most others think it's unnecessary given that our engines are direct injected. I believe that the factory manual says not to use fuel cleaners.
  4. mrtn

mrtn Active Member

Thanks. I'll have to double check the manual then. They make fuel system cleaner for direct injected engines but I was just wondering because my fuel mileage has been getting increasingly worse.
  5. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

The F150 Ecoboost has had some issues with carbon deposits on the intake valves, resulting in rough idle, poor mpg, etc. This is a result of direct injection and recirculation of oil vapors into the intake manifold. No air/fuel flows over the intake valve, which would clean the valve in a typical fuel infection system. You can find multiple YouTube videos on it. Everyone is installing oil catch cans to avoid this.
  6. mrtn

mrtn Active Member

Agh thanks. I was hoping to avoid the catch can as I'm not a mechanic and I don't really understand the whole premise behind it or how to make one.
  7. Dyn085

Dyn085 Active Member

To try to avoid it. There's lots of people that have documented that they don't work, though there are also plenty that swear they do. Don't assume that they will prevent buildup and don't be surprised if you're still having to have your intake valves cleaned. Realistically speaking there isn't enough data on our vehicles in either direction.

Tl;dr-Don't be afraid to try a catch-can in the hopes that it will work, but don't be surprised if you find out later on that it doesn't.
    marc89gti likes this.
  8. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

Well said, Dyn085. There are products on the market to limit these deposits too. Here is one example:
  9. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

I see a Panda soaked with pcv yuck...the OCC is a necessary modification...look at the baffled OCC from Mishimoto...yeah, you can wait, like France, and you will be over run with gank all over your valves...or the Germans...I don't understand why anyone say's there isn't a problem with atomized oil making it's way into the combustion chamber...it makes it way there...the Mishimoto baffled oil catch can is the best way to eliminate this from happening...why is anyone questioning this?
  10. XR650R

XR650R Member

I think whoever comes out with a really effective plug-n-play OCC kit for this car is going to make some bank.
  11. Dyn085

Dyn085 Active Member

I never said there wasn't a problem, though in all fairness I haven't seen to what degree the problem is or will be yet, just that I find catch-cans to be a waste of money and time. That's my opinion from following other DI communities. If it makes you feel better to have one installed and you believe it works then install one-it's your money and time.

The only way to eliminate the problem is vent-to-atmosphere (vta). Not environmentally responsible, but a solution nonetheless. Outside of that, everyone that purchases this vehicle and keeps it for an extended period of time will eventually have to have their valves cleaned.