Gas milage

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by WScottCross, Feb 4, 2014.

1. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

We've got the same average and the same total miles on our cars.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Flaco1

Flaco1 Member

4. DayJ

DayJ New Member

Daily commuter driving: 32.5 at 77mph, but I can get 40 by going 55-60mph (which I don't unless there is crumby weather.) I'm wondering how altitude could affect things… any other high altitude figures from the group? I'm just over 6,000 feet above sea level. The performance is great, but I haven't had it at sea level for comparison. My old Toyota had remarkably poor performance at high altitude.
  5. Kap

Kap Member

Was your Toyota naturally aspirated (non-turbocharged)? If so, that would explain its performance deficit at altitude. Turbos aren't affected nearly as much by the thinner air, so you're not getting the same performance "penalty" with the ST. :)
  6. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Driving my RX8 up to the mountains, about 2100ft of elevation, was always a letdown. I swear it felt like I lost 50hp. 1.3 liters of fury at home, but just feeble in thin air.
  7. ohskigod

ohskigod Member

Traffic kills me, right around 27 combined. A lot better than the 15 I got in the pick up truck I traded though so...bonus!
    LotusZX3 and spangenb like this.
  8. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

You can find mine on fuelly. Just look for the worst mileage rated ST listed. lol

Also, note the gas prices locally. For those of you down south who think you have it bad. Pff.

*edit* - Just added the link to my sig.
  9. limbo

limbo Active Member

I've gotten a pretty consistent 28-29mpg on my last few fill ups. That's mostly daily commute (half highway), a couple auto-x trips.
  10. LotusZX3

LotusZX3 Member

On my current tank of gas I have really babied it to see what kind of mileage i can make. My usual tank gets me a little over 300 miles and a computer read out of 27.? mpg. Currently I'm at 305 miles on the trip with the comp readout of 55ish til empty and 31.8mpg. A nice 50 mile increase but I cant stand driving this way and will be back to my old style once I'm done testing this tank. (My commute is typically 10 miles freeway 5 miles city)
  11. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

My own experience in the past (with other vehicles, non-turbo, fuel injected) is that high elevations does great things for gas mileage. On all my cross-country drives, my best mileage was always at elevations over 4,000 ft., and the higher, the better. Northern Arizona, the middle of Oregon, and the high plains were the best. As soon as I dropped down to the eastern states, the mileage would plummet.

It all makes sense because the F.I. will get leaned out at higher elevations. It'll be interesting to see how the turbo affects things.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  12. Heronboy

Heronboy New Member

Here in the North Star state I am getting 27-30 on average in mixed driving with temps hovering around 0.
  13. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Not bad about what I am getting next door to the east ;) say Cheese lol
  14. ST-in-Mich

ST-in-Mich Member

May be a silly question, but how did you get your screen to show MPG? I didn't see anything in the manual?
  15. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

You press the end of the turn signal stalk to cycle through the available displays.
  16. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Odometer, trip odometer, average mpg, average mph, distance til empty ...maybe one more? Press and hold to reset the trip, mpg, mph.
  17. ST-in-Mich

ST-in-Mich Member

Awesome, thanks. Not sure how i missed that!
    spangenb likes this.
  18. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

This last weekend on a 2.5 mile road race track with speeds hitting over 115 MPH.

I got an average of 23.4 MPG.

Firesail likes this.
  19. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

That's crazy awesome :)
  20. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

The bad thing is that I am going through tires faster than gas.

21. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Think positive: you could be going through tires AND gas :)