Gas milage

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by WScottCross, Feb 4, 2014.

1. MasterPooBaa

MasterPooBaa Member

Snow tires = softer compound = more grip = more rolling resistance.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

That's counter to what spangenb experienced, i.e., he got better mileage with the snow tires.

4. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

Went 350 mi with the cruise control on 72mph and got 33.8 calculating at the pump. Rolling on the stock wheels.
    That's also on the cobb stage 1 map.

5. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

I may have to put the stockers back on for a couple of tanks to get a comparison.

6. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

Just did that today myself. I'm going on a 500 mile drive tomorrow, so we'll see how they do.

k757 and spangenb like this.
  7. ghostwhite

ghostwhite Active Member

Reset the mpg computer. I drove 100% highway the past 3 days or 60 miles and I got 32mpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. a dusty taco

a dusty taco New Member

Is that using regular or premium gas?

9. Parker

Parker Member

how do you reset that? MPG was super low when I bought the car from the test drives so I would like to start it over. thanks :)

10. a dusty taco

a dusty taco New Member

Near the Tachometer you should see a small black stick/button (not sure what you call it). Press it to select AVG MPG display. Then press and hold until the little lines go across the display to zero it out. You can do the same with the Trip and AVG MPH. Alternatively if you press the turn signal stalk in, towards the steering wheel, it should also function the same as the stick on the dash.

11. ghostwhite

ghostwhite Active Member

91 octane a mile above sea level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Parker

Parker Member

ah, thanks. did that for trip, didnt even think it works the same way for everything else. someone at ford is using their brain, and I am not :) thanks

13. a dusty taco

a dusty taco New Member

Ok cool. Add soon as I run through this tank I'm putting in 91 or 93. Looking forward to improved performance.

14. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Just to see the difference:

Yesterday I commuted really trying to drive with MPG in mind - averaged 33.3 MPG. Drive is about 1/2 highway 1/4 back road 1/4 more stop and go lights etc.
    Today I commuted like I normally do, not giving a crap about MPG - averaged 23.1 MPG (I bet that is higher than normal as there was heavy traffic on the highway which kept my speed down to 65ish.

Pretty Significant difference.

My take away is when I was trying I was eak the best MPG I had to work at it, using both the Average MPG Gauge - if it started down I changed what I was doing to get it to go the other way- and shifting whenever the dummy light told me to, I kept my speed under 70. Never really revving much past 3K. Keeping the motor out of the power band etc. ...no fun jaunts on and off the highway...no blasts up the fast lane...no quick runs on the twisty back roads. I was surprised at how difficult and boring I found the car to drive in this way.

My conclusion if I wanted to get good MPG I wouldn't drive that car.

15. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

It really depends on your situation. I have plenty of fun, but I also drive ALOT of highway miles so that helps the average.

Slowclimb likes this.
  16. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

I agree. Personally I like having the option of choosing fun/power or economy with the same car just by changing my driving style. I don't have to avoid driving my "fun car" daily or on long trips because it costs a fortune to drive. That's why I sold the '08 Mustang!

reddog99 and Neely2005 like this.
  17. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

This is where the mini owns the fiesta...with my drive for fun driving style I averaged 38 mpg over 20 thousand miles. But you guys are right. It is nice to have the option!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

18. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

My last full tank on my Fiesta SES I got 6.8 Litres per 100 Km (1.6 Litre, 5 Speed Manual Transmission with stock All Season Tires & due for a new Air Filter)

My first full tank on my Fiesta ST I got 8.8 Litres per 100 Km (stock summer tires)

All figures are as per the Fiesta Trip Computer.

19. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

Yes but a lot of the time people go with a narrower tire for their Winter Tires.

20. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Right normally snows are much more narrow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

21. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Well I drove two hours to Buffalo a couple weeks ago with the 225 Direzzas on and just cracked 31 mpg. Did the same trip today with the stockers on, same weather, same speeds. 35+ mpg. Guess I will keep the stockers on for daily driving!