Gas milage

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by WScottCross, Feb 4, 2014.

SICKESSS-ST Member

Hello all,

First post here. My dash displays 33.9 MPG. I reset the trip meter the last few fill ups and have been getting about 425 miles out of each tank of gas, last one I got 450.1, I did drive it very "carefully", which is so difficult to do with such fun little car.

Now, if I have my info right, the car has a 10.4 gallon fuel tank. So let's take the 450 miles I got on the last fill up and divide it by 10.4, that's about 43 MPG, excellent in my opinion, unless I'm missing something!?

Either way I drive it, it's tons of fun, if I baby it the MPGs are awesome, if I don't it a total blast. Win/Win for me! :D
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

The tank is 12 gallons. You need to divide the miles you drive by the actual amount of fuel used to fill the tank to get the accurate MPG.

SICKESSS-ST Member

Ok, thanks for the info! In that case 450 divided by 12 equals 37.5 MPG, give or take may be 1 mile, still very good in my opinion.
  5. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

That still isn't the right way to calculate it. You need the actual miles traveled (450 based on your example) and then divide that by the amount of fuel it took to refill the tank. Lets say it was 11 gallons, 450/11=40.91MPG. It only works if you start with a full tank and fill it again when you refuel.
    reddog99 and a dusty taco like this.
  6. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

My first fill up was 94 Octane and I got 8.8 Litres per 100 Km.

My second fill up was 89 Octane and I got 8.7 Litres per 100 Km.

The car was delivered with a Quarter tank of 87 Octane.

I just filled up again with 89 Octane so it'll be interesting to see if the mileage remains constant.

All of the gasoline has been purchased at the same gas station.
    Last edited: May 5, 2014
  7. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

Third fill up was 89 Octane and I got 8.5 Litres per 100 Km.
  8. Deanh

Deanh Member

? 12.4 unless you are in Imperial in the US, mixture of stop and go , Highway and city we are seeing 28....but thats US gallons too, and California where they bastardize the gas for additional "cleanliness"...
  9. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Got 5 mpg at my last auto cross

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Bavarian, spangenb and ST-in-Mich like this.
  10. k757

k757 Active Member

and I thought I had it bad with 5.8 mpg auto-x economy
  11. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

Last full tank was 3/4 89 Octane and 1/4 94 Octane and I got 8.5 Litres per 100 Km again.
  12. pleaseyesplease

pleaseyesplease New Member

Hey everyone! I'm on the verge of ordering an ST. Curious about a few realities I want to be prepared for. I live in inner Portland, and my usual tanks are somewhere between 95%-100% city driving. Except for the occasional road trips, of course and brief stints on the highway to the airport. I'm wondering what king of mpg people are getting who drive chiefly city miles. Thanks in advance!
  13. MasterPooBaa

MasterPooBaa Member

Hard to say with ours. Its a new car with a tight engine, and I am doing far too many 2nd gear heavy accelerations up to the speed limit, rather than driving 'normally'. Most (90%+) of my driving is city now - speeds not exceeding 60kmh/38mph.
    Worst economy I have achieved is 10L/100km (23.5mpg).
    Best was 6.9L/100km (34mpg).
    Seems a weekly average for heavy city stop start traffic is around 8L/100km (29.4mpg) or so.
    This is backed up by the combined economy readout on the dash that I have not reset since getting the car. 1800km on the clock with a total average of 8.1L/100km.

Only ever use Caltex 95 Octane fuel - Think thats 91 for you Americans?
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  14. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

24-26 all city on cobb map. I live in Portland too!
  15. pleaseyesplease

pleaseyesplease New Member

Thanks for the mpg numbers. That's what I was figuring - good to hear it confirmed. Glad to see you're in Portland! Have seen a few just recently. Finally, but all in NW. Two black STs, two PBs, and an MO. Got to drive a black one last Monday. SO fantastic. I've got the fever, bad.
    spangenb likes this.
  16. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

You must have a good eye. I haven't seen one Fist yet in Portland on the road!

17. Golfguy11800

Golfguy11800 Member

Wow. I cannot be the only one who has seen north of 46 mpg out their Fiesta ST?

On my commute to work (all highway) I go about 55-65mph in 6th and I was getting a solid avg 46mpg. Was able to get it to avg 48mpg at one point. I restarted the computer when I turned my car on at my house and then took the measure when I entered my parking space at work.

I wasn't even hypermiling!

This thing is insane....

On rally runs I'll average 8 mpg though.
  18. Zormecteon

Zormecteon Active Member

The only time I've seen number like that (on the read-out, NOT for a tankful) is when I've reset the read-out while driving at about that speed. My best tankful of gas was driving home from the Octane Academy in Utah. It's essentially downhill across Oregon following the Columbia River, and I got a little better than 36, with an average speed of over 72 mph.
  19. Implicate

Implicate New Member

I do about 90% city driving and usually average 28-30mpg, depending on how much fun I have with it. Highway driving I get 32-34mpg, having had it as high as 40mpg over a span of 15 miles after filling up once.

I was also stuck behind a 90 year old lady on backroads and averaged 36mpg.

I only use 93 Octane.

Hope that helps!
  20. Ca5p3r

Ca5p3r Member

this car just amazes me.

on a trip to Michigan back in may, I had gotten 40.2 mpg on one of fuel fillups. Speed limit was 55 mph.

last night, I drove home (cruise control set to 57mph from grand forks to minot) and I got 44.5 mpg according to the readout. After I logged it on fuelly, it was actually 48.5 mpg. This is bone stock FiST on the original tires. Currently at 10159 miles.

and of course some pics... I hope it's ok to post them directly here...

too big, I'll have to post them on photobucket and link here...

Well this is dumb. I meet the minimum requirements but am not allowed to post links.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014