Gearing?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Engine Upgrades' started by Ataru, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Ataru

Ataru Member

What are the gear ratios on the FiST? I've seen comments that it hits 58mph at redline in second gear and that seems bizarre to me.

Ford comes out with the SVT Focus in 2002 with 170hp/145tq and I've hit 70mph at redline in second many times.

Then Ford comes out with thr Fiesta ST with 197hp/212tq and it only goes to 58mph in second?

All that low end torque and power but such short gearing? I know the gearing on the SVTF was stupid long but it seems like they could have made the gearing a bit longer on the FiST.

Granted, I haven't driven a FiST yet, so those who have, what are your thoughts on the gear ratios when driving around town and also in a sporty manner?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. kvetcha

kvetcha Active Member

I almost feel like it was done intentionally to keep the Official Numbers from getting too close to the Focus ST.

Ataru likes this.
  4. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

I thought BRGT350 was doing all the gear at redline test runs or something like that ?

5. Ataru

Ataru Member

That 58mph figure came from Bryan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

6. eRic

eRic Active Member

quoted from the 2014 FIESTA ST Supplement
    "
    Gear Ratio Final drive

1st 3.727 3.82

2nd 2.098 3.82

3rd 1.357 3.82

4th 1.030 3.82

5th 0.821 3.82

6th 0.690 3.82

Reverse 3.818 3.82
    "

jimlau likes this.
  7. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Yup I heard him say that on his Interior Vid am hoping he chimes in and we can put mph to the above gear ratios ..

8. eRic

eRic Active Member

9. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

Visually, I found the top of 2nd to be 55-60mph, but read a few articles that show the actual speed is 58mph. The needle is so wide that it is hard to tell and I always seemed to be stuck in traffic trying to test it.

Compared to the regular Fiesta, the ST has great gear ratio's! They are well matched and don't allow the RPM's to drop out of the power band on each shift. Of course, having a flat torque curve helps with that. I found the EU Fiesta to have the best gear ratios for around town, autocrossing, and track. The MPG numbers needed a boost, so the ratios were messed with on the US car. The results were dismal. The ST, since it is designed as a performance version, it gets the same ratios as the EU ST. I have not driven the SVT Focus and Fiesta ST back-to-back yet, so I can't really compare them. The SVT Focus is stuck in the back of my dad's garage and hasn't moved since last summer.

10. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Slick tool Thanks I had forgotten about that one ;)

11. FORDSVTPARTS

FORDSVTPARTS New Member

What's redline in the FiST? The SVT redlines at 7200 stock, mine is set at 7600, I still shift at 7200 but now don't have to worry about hitting the limiter. I'd guess the FiST has a lower redline, most FI cars do.

Personally I love the SVT gearing, it's perfect for road course or back road twisties. The way it's geared really takes advantage of the cars powerband 50 or so in first, 70 or so in second, 90 or so in third and in fourth you're well into lose your license territory. :)

Edit- FiST redline is 6500 so yeah, even if it had identical gearing it would run out of gear sooner.

12. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Your ST vehicle is equipped with an overspeed feature to increase its performance range. The standard maximum engine speed of 6375 RPM is
    indicated by a narrow redline on the tachometer face. The redline becomes thicker at the overspeed engine speed of 6500 RPM.

This feature allows three seconds of overspeed above 6375 RPM. Once the three second limit has been reached, the electronically controlled rev limit ramps down to 6375 RPM and holds there. Once engine speed has dropped below 6175 RPM, the overspeed timer is reset and
    three seconds of overspeed up to a maximum of 6500 RPM is enabled.

From the ST supplement

Looks like a nice feature rather than just chopping the motor so it falls on its face so to say...

13. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

I think that is also oil temp dependant too. Engine cold, earlier redline, engine warm, more revs. Everyone that has driven the car on an autocross says that it runs out of revs really fast. It also gets to places really fast. A shift light that you could see would be really good for the ST.

14. wash

wash Active Member

I'm worried that if you add enough power, first will become useless, second will be too tall for acceleration and the spread between fifth and sixth is not very big.

It works but I don't think its ideal.

Cobb has already figured out how to adjust the rev limiter and going up to a 215/40r17 tire will make the effective gearing a little steeper so getting to 60 in second should be doable.

A nice big shift light is a good idea.

15. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Where do you find this ST supplement you are always quoting?

16. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Lets see if this link works Ok that linky takes you to the USA Ford website. (I got there by looking under the car where you look at it or price and build you select under) Research "Brochures and Guides" to get to the above page that's links then selecet ST Supplement 1st printing (though in time the "Printing number" may change)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    xorpheous likes this.
  17. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Got it. Thanks.

RodMoe likes this.
  18. kvetcha

kvetcha Active Member

It is certainly a weird spread of gears, now that I've been using it. First is super short, and the gap between second and third is very noticeable. 3-6 are all relatively close, though.

19. Removed

Removed Guest

I think I read the ratios were to help maximize MPG. Not sure if that is the case but it's plausible.

20. kvetcha

kvetcha Active Member

Yeah. It's not bad or anything, but I wish that 2-3 gap were smaller.

21. Removed

Removed Guest

I wish 5 was a bit shorter too, but I'm sure the aftermarket will fix some of the gearing issues - you might even be able to get to 60 in 2nd with a tune and different tires.