Go AutoX, its fun!

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by EvoNiner, Feb 23, 2014.

1. k757

k757 Active Member

I still say the Meadowlands has the best surface in the northeast.

there are multiple groups that use the Meadowlands. Look up schedules at http:// autox4u.com (or something close)

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. EvoNiner

EvoNiner Active Member

I usually drive around 2-2 1/2 hours to go to some autox's in iowa. Granted some of them are amazing, paying 35 bucks to run down 2 1/2 mile runways, I've hit speeds up to 85 in my evo on the back slalom... It's the cheapest and easiest way to race/learn your car. Plus you don't get Arrested!!

I also agree, going and watching is NOT worth your time because it does look boring from the sidelines. It looks as if your slowly going down a strait, but inside the car your hauling it as HARD as you can through a decreasing slalom, flinging your car at just the brink of out of control, dancing it from one slide to another feathering in some left foot braking and counter steer to get just the perfect amount of rotation and speed. When you get to the point that your reacting to everything with NO hesitation at all, linking corners together in a smooth yet at the edge of loosing control rhythm, there's nothing quite like it.

Drive that 30 mins and smile ear to ear. You'll thank us later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smokin and Firesail like this.
  4. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Yes AutoX is like sex in the way it is better done than watched ... or something like that .... :bored:

ronnie karlen likes this.
  5. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

I'm hoping to give it a go here in the Kansas City area--I understand that there's a novice class the local SCCA chapter puts on in April. (Am I right, Smokin? :)) And from what I understand, there are some talented autoX drivers 'round here. (Again, am I right, Smokin? :thumbsup:!) Which mean I'll get slaughtered, competition-wise, I'm sure, but also means I hope to have opportunity to learn some things about performance driving. Looking forward to it!

Smokin likes this.
  6. EvoNiner

EvoNiner Active Member

Realize that your first year of AutoX you will not be competitive, perhaps not even by your 2nd or 3rd! BUT the main thing is you'll learn something EVERY TIME YOU GO that will help you next time/ on the streets. Don't even go into it trying to set lap records your first time. Just go to learn, meet other enthusiasts, and have a great time! Most of the more experienced drivers have no problem if you ride along with them.

If there's an event that's farther north in the Kc region I might have to swing down and see you two!!

7. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

If you look at it like that it may not be much fun "getting slaughtered" look at it as playing gold where it is you against the course and just try to HAVE FUN and better your own personal times... breath and enjoy...

ronnie karlen, Smokin and EvoNiner like this.
  8. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

LOL Evo ya beat me by seconds good one :)

ronnie karlen and EvoNiner like this.
  9. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Oh, no worries, I'm not looking to actually compete, but only to learn and improve. Given that I figure I'll start at the "LOTS of room for improvement" level, I'll get to learn lots! And I do hope to get the occasional ride with a good driver, to see how it's supposed to be done.

10. EvoNiner

EvoNiner Active Member

Hahaha I hadn't gotten done laughing at the response time between us and you beat me to the reaction response!

RodMoe likes this.
  11. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

When I mentioned getting slaughtered, it was purely out of pre-emptive recognition that I will NOT be competitive, that's all. I've got no ego on the line, and don't really care, as long as I have fun and learn.

EvoNiner likes this.
  12. EvoNiner

EvoNiner Active Member

Another great thing is being able to experience other platforms other then your own. In iowa at the end of events if we have time, we have fun runs where we can run in other peoples cars. (last even I made my 6 runs during the competition, and my FiST made 29 runs during fun runs! Let's just say I wasn't the only one that wanted to experience the car!) I have driven everything from national solo champ subaru's, to corvettes, a 65 Mini Cooper rally car, BMW E30's, Ford Festivas with turbos... The list goes on. It a one of the best decisions I can honestly say I've made in my life.

spangenb likes this.
  13. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Keep this in mind and You will do fine.. I found some of my runs that I thought felt fast were my worst and the ones i felt i messed up turned out to be my best. Getting to know how wide and long your car is goes a long way to getting friendly with the cones but not too friendly ;)

ronnie karlen and jimclark like this.
  14. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Wha--!?! Let someone else drive my baby?!?! But, will they be gentle? Speak kindly to her? Caress her in just the right way? I--I don't know--it's just that we have such a deeply intense, intimate, close relationship, and I don't want anything coming between us . . . . Ah, to hell with it, if I get to drive someone's souped-up 'Vette, it'll be worth it!

Smokin and EvoNiner like this.
  15. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

An old saying from a former life comes to mind: Smooth is slow, and slow is fast. And the enemy of good is better.

16. EvoNiner

EvoNiner Active Member

That is perfect! You'll notice the fastest, are usually the smoothest.

17. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Once in second gear try not to use your brake if possible it just slows you down ... :whistling:

18. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

lol. I'll keep that in mind! Maybe I'll remove the brake pedal to save weight! :wideyed:

19. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

MMMMmmm great idea...

20. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

That's the autox gospel. If you watch my Z06 'Vette in-car video from the "past cars" thread it looks like I am haulin' ass ... which means I was slow LOL. That car was in ASP and I got beat by 2 seconds or more by national SS drivers who looked like they were out for a Sunday drive in the country. I worked the course for SS and could only shake my head at how slow they looked but how much faster than me they were.

k757 and EvoNiner like this.
  21. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

when starting out do a ride along with an instructor (assuming your region/group has them). Watching someone who know what they are doing drive your car helps understand what it is supposed to look and feel like. I have also taken a couple courses...including the Evolution school. Besides getting instruction on the basics you get tons of runs and nothing helps more than seat time.