Go AutoX, its fun!

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by EvoNiner, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

The faster drivers won't be gentle; sometimes you've got to whip the pony to get her to run.
    The biggest eye opener for me was watching the really fast guys driving my car. It seemed almost violent at first, they would get behind the wheel and instantly get more performance out of my car than I could. Their steering and pedal inputs were both faster and smoother than me. When I was beginning, I could be fast or smooth, but not both.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Agree...the one thing the "smooth is fast" moniker does not say is you still have to be aggressive. In my first year newbie at a solo school I was setting a consistent time and then my instructor drove. He was immediately 2 seconds faster having never driven a GTI. We switched and I matched his time. Gained 2 seconds just by watching. The difference, being smoother and more aggressive at the same time. That can be taught.

Since then I have instructed several schools and love seeing newbies go quicker than they thought possible.....
    If I ride with you, you'll hear me yell, "Unwind it! Unwind it!" Only true FWDr's will know what I mean...and you will end the day with a smile on your face.

And Jim Clark I can't wait until we meet at the school. I'll be your huckleberry....

spangenb and Cligedy like this.
  4. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Ha ha ha I do the same thing :) Gotta let it run on corner exits and if you have too much steering angle in it then you entered the corner too fast! My nemesis is looking ahead. My buddy who is a pretty fast national guy will literally grab my helmet and turn my head ... while screaming at me LOL

5. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

I got me some things to learn! I think my inclination is to start with smooth and try to add aggressiveness as I understand more and become more comfortable with new skills. Am really looking forward to this!

6. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Make your first run and try to get better each time though there will be times you just zone out and cone out lol . Or you think you nailed it only to find that you missed a gate and DNF .. thats when i got into recording my runs on the cam ;)

ronnie karlen likes this.
  7. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

I totally lost the big picture on one run and all I remembered was the novice instructor telling us; if you can't remember which side of a cone you are supposed to be on, it's better to hit the cone rather than take the wrong side and end up off course. So I ran that cone down with a vengeance!

I'm still trying to figure out the best angle to use the GoPro so I can actually learn from it. I'm thinking mounting it down low near the intercooler might be useful. The in-cabin views haven't been very useful so far.

8. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

I find just above the windshield in the center to be the most helpful. But low in front gives a good sensation of speed...I put together a highlight film and did everything from mounted low on the front. Just behind a front tire and just in front of the rear tire looking back. Cool, but not very telling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

9. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

I would like to get a leading and trailing cam from both bumpers so you see the course and if you tipped any cones as your past.. but the time it takes to watch sometimes eats in to my BS'n time lol

ronnie karlen likes this.
  10. k757

k757 Active Member

I hang my GoPro just to the right of the rearview mirror and upside-down.

2011 WRX in RTA at Meadowlands, NJ

11. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

I like that course. That looks like a great lot.

12. WScottCross

Big course, compared to the tiny courses we have here in central CT.

13. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Giants Stadium is great.

14. OxWhiteFiST92

OxWhiteFiST92 Member

Heres my first time autocrossing. This sunday will be the next event! So much fun!

15. k757

k757 Active Member

Nice run! Stayed on course and cones stayed up.

Suggestion to go faster in the long slalom, turn in on the cone (turn before the cone), not when you get to the cone. The car will dance for you and you'll be faster through there.

Also, the fastest line may not (usually not) be driving cone to cone. Looking ahead will assist with this. A wider entry may give you a faster exit or will set you up better for 2 gates ahead.

OxWhiteFiST92 likes this.
  16. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

run cones over...then you know you are close enough to them ;)

Firesail likes this.
  17. OxWhiteFiST92

OxWhiteFiST92 Member

I had another event yesterday in Miami heres my best run!

18. k757

k757 Active Member

Nice. Course looked fun.

Some tips (take or leave).......
    When the starter gives you the go ahead, you don't have to launch on his command. He is just letting you know that you are free to go when you are ready. Take a breath and then proceed when ready.
    Shift into 2nd and immediately both hands on the wheel.
    Start with the hands at 9pm/3pm. Left hand at 7 pm is a weak position.
    Slaloms, try the 9/3pm or even 10/2pm hands, small movements and the car will dance for you. What you did in this video, you were overcorrecting because you entered too fast. You had to fight the car during the whole slalom
    Try to not cross your arms (at 1:38). that is a lot of turning, and your tires let you know about it. You'll be much faster going a tad slower and keeping grip.
    You should steer where the car is to go, you let go of the steering wheel for a bit
    Turn in on the cones where possible, turning at the cone makes you slower
    everytime you push around a cone (tires squealing), you lose traction/losing time.

19. WScottCross

That's why I bought the MO. That way, you can't tell when I hit cones.

20. OxWhiteFiST92

OxWhiteFiST92 Member

Thanks for the pointers. This was my second time autocross so im still trying to find the right techniques so any advice is much appreciated! That part where I crossed my arms was very tricky for me. I know I have to limit myself from losing too much traction that is where my problem is.

21. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Awesome thanks for the vid it will help till spring gets here ,

OxWhiteFiST92 likes this.