Happy birthday to me, just ordered these wheels:)

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Wheel and Tire Upgrades' started by raamaudio, May 3, 2014.

1. wash

wash Active Member

I haven't been fooling around with these numbers for a few months, that figure of 0.440" is wrong, the thicker pad makes the caliper stick out further. I have the stack number somewhere...

The Wilwood kit uses a hat that's about 0.600 so if we leave the inside face location alone the hat goes to around 0.160". It should be easy to make the hat light weight but it will certainly need threaded inserts to keep the rotor bolts from pulling out.

I would love to design one of those floating rotor setups that use a locking ring instead of bolts but the machining might be difficult and it might require the interior of the rotor to be more precisely machined than the cheapo rotors are.

I've been thinking about this since last summer but the lack of 6ul wheels and personal time has kept this a mental exercise.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. raamaudio

raamaudio Active Member

I research a fair amount but not nearly as some do, I just jump in and learn to swim usually but have had to backtrack and start over many times as well. I have had floating rotors, fixed, etc.... been happy with a few hundred bucks into some setups for a particular purpose and have spent $8k on a set of brakes, without any spare parts......I am happiest somewhere in the lower end of the scale, finding what does the job for the least cost which sometimes can be initial but more important usually is longer term, cost of consumables.
  4. raamaudio

raamaudio Active Member

I just thought of a set of brakes I truly loved, stopped to fast on the street with fat stick tires so had to watch who was behind me, great on track but only ran two laps at a ALMS let the Vettes out to roam around a bit......XYX, best packaging, best instructions, least rotor run out, least just bolt them on fooling around, I got a massive set of brakes for under $2k, front and rear...6/4 piston, 15/14" rotors.....
  5. wash

wash Active Member

With the components I'm thinking of, the price should be around there, hopefully less and cheaper consumables.

I was also fooling around with a bias calculator and found a nice rear brake setup that has pistons sized just about perfectly to match the FNSL6R.

I don't know if a setup along these lines will rival a 15/14" rotor BBK but it should be close to as much brake as we can fit inside a 15" and better than stock.
  6. raamaudio

raamaudio Active Member

Had to change to these, should be here Saturday, to close a fit for the BBK with the other wheels.....centers of these should be stronger......

7. wash

wash Active Member

I hope you didn't change on account of my OCD.

At least its got maximum clearance and just a hair heavy.
  8. raamaudio

raamaudio Active Member

Your attention to detail helped buddy, I was going to get these but the lower weight of the Avanti swayed me to them, then there fact the fitment over an 11.75" BBK was questionable at best, really got me thinking when you noticed the Avanti was best for 5 bolt not 4 bolt....

9. Pedro

Pedro Active Member

I am really curious about this, did you go to a machine shop for this? I would love to change my wheel pattern to 4x114.3 (first option) or even the 4x100 to fit some desmond regamaster evo wheels (8.8 pounds in 15x6.5). Also do you remember how much it cost to change the bolt pattern?
  10. raamaudio

raamaudio Active Member

I ran two days at MMP, outer loop, very fast course, with the 11.75x.81 GT Rotors, DP6 calipers, had to spend big bucks to get the pads on time as found out I had the wrong pads for the event, could not get WW pads quick enough so overnight shipped Carbotech XP12 and XP8 pads...I had incredible brakes and lots of pad left. I did get them hot enough to smell them as my speeds were pretty high and I brake late and trail brake where needed but the car stuck so well and the LSD worked great I was able to get on the throttle well be fore the apex. I passed a ton of supposedly faster cars also, I can send more info if I get a PM about it.

And where to get the hubs bored, I do have a set of stock rotors with 293 crusing miles on them already bored I do not need.

I have developed a rear BBK with 11" GT rotors, the calipers have little levers sticking out I will make an adapter for to have parking brakes, I will have the BBK info to the brake company soon so they can market them. I am not in the business, just making what I want work and helping others get access to it.

I need brake ducts, if not for the Castrol SRF fluid I might of been in trouble but it held up incredibly well.

I just did not have time to make them but I have the Triple R splitter modified to include a full width undertray all the way back to the subframe with a wickerbill/subframe brace mount I made and a nice curved duct to feed air into the DP area and help evacuate air from the engine bay.

I ran the crap out of the car, my water never went above 202 and the oil was in the 220 range most sessions until the last where I really went all out, overdriving on purpose, sliding around, just to see how the car reacts and it is very easy to correct, neutral at higher speed, a bit of understeer at full throttle in lower speed turns, simply an amazing FWD car on track, stock, modded like mine, best FWD I have built or driven and I have built two other fast ones.

I am going to use the lower opening between the bumper cover and TR unit as it now is a sealed area that blows air into the face of the tires, tap into that, seal it off on the back side, for my brake cooling and get to keep the fog lights.

Next I want to make a real diffuser, a big one.
    gtkat929 and kamakazee like this.