Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

Hearing some bad things about 4 dr and tall drivers

6K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  spangenb 
#1 ·
Basically I have been hearing that if you are over 6 ft, you need the seat pretty much all the way back...

... And when this happens, your head is at or behind the B pillar, and the door arm rests aren't even functional!

Meanwhile you can get a accord sport for the same money, better fuel economy (non turbo) reliability, resale value, and MORE (!?) cargo room??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk2

#5 ·
I'm a smidge over 6 feet and I have the seat(in my SES) one notch from full back and all the way to the bottom. The door armrest is useable, though my left hand is always on the wheel so I don't use it much. The b pillar is right beside my ear, but I adjusted my shoulder checks to it.

I would prefer 3 doors, but I'm not buying the ST quite yet any way.

#6 ·
If you're looking for cargo room, the Fiesta is by default not the car for you. If you're buying the Fiesta ST it's because of the factory handling upgrades and performance. The Accord just isn't even the same. For that matter, you can get a regular Focus for less than a Fiesta ST or a Fusion for about the same price. Both have more cargo room as well, but they aren't performance models either. If you want to go test out a Fiesta, find one without a moonroof because it lowers the headliner. If you want to check the fit and you can't find an ST just try out a regular Fiesta, it's the same inside.

#12 ·
This weekend I had a driver who is well over 6 feet tall and around 270 pounds drive the ST and had zero issues about the size. He also daily drives an Elise. It sounds like a lot of these reports of "OMG, nobody but a midget can drive a Fiesta" are from sources that have never driven the car.

#13 ·
This is not directed at anyone in particular, just throwing it out there...

I think that everybody is different, and comfort is going to vary drastically between individuals.

Can't really go by what other people say, but you can definitely keep the opinions in mind and see for yourself. Comfort is a little more complicated than weight & height, and for many people I would argue that it is really psychological. I have seen some pretty ridiculous scenario's where I found it a little unbelievable but..... Who's can argue with someone saying they either are or are not comfortable? :p

I am not sure I see the logic behind complaining about a lack of interior space though, when specifically picking out the smallest car in the lineup. Ford sells plenty of boats. It is unfortunate though that some people may miss out on this vehicle based on not finding it spacious/comfortable enough.

But if spaciousness is high on the needs list, I am not sure why a Fiesta would even be on a persons shopping list of vehicles.

Seat position/visibility are also huge factors in a persons level of comfort, and also vary widely regardless of size.

All I know is that I do not at all enjoy driving a vehicle if I am not happy with the driving position and visibility. So if I knew I wasn't going to be pleased with that aspect of the vehicle, I would absolutely not buy one.

Still don't have mine, but having driven the Titanium Fiesta, and the Focus ST I am pretty confident I'll be happy in the FiST.

My 2010 Camaro on the other hand.... I pre-ordered that without ever having been in one... And I think that had I had the opportunity to test drive one beforehand, I likely would never have purchased one no matter how bad I wanted it.... I never got over the awful visibility in that thing throughout my ownership of the vehicle.

Anyway, if you are already concerned about comfort/visibility/seat position and haven't been in one yet, I'd strongly suggest getting some seat time in one before committing to the purchase. That's not something you want to find out after the fact.

#18 ·
I agree everybody is different. I am 6'1" 190 lbs. and my car with Recaros and no moonroof is great. I tend to sit close to the wheel and upright for my height due to my autocross background. I use the armrest a lot in all my cars and the FiST is fine. People complain about the rear visibility, but it doesn't bother me. I use my side mirrors almost exclusively anyway. Otherwise the visibility is good, and I am very sensitive to that. I had an '88 Mustang GT at the same time my buddy had an '87 Firebird. What a difference in visibility! I was practically afraid to drive the Firebird. It felt like I was in a submarine! Nothing has better visibility than my dad's '87 BMW 325is ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.