Heater Blower malfunction

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Maintenance' started by TapTapPull, Nov 20, 2013.

1. firSTinWpg

firSTinWpg Member

From speaking with my service rep, this is a pretty well known issue with Fiesta's in general. Honestly, it sounds like it will happen to pretty much all of them if they are driven in a climate where it snows. I don't understand how Ford's engineers could overlook this issue in the first place, and why on earth Ford would choose to keep manufacturing the cars with the faulty intake and only replace them when they fail. You figure that since they have a re-engineered part that fixes the issue, that it would be cheaper to incorporate the new part into the assembly line then to deal with the warranty claims of replacing the entire blower assembly when it fails.

Even with a large percentage of these cars never seeing snow, how hard is it to stop producing the old part and only supply the assembly line with the new intake? At the very least they should be requiring the selling dealer to replace these faulty intakes with the new style one prior to delivery in locations where snow is a normal annual occurance.

graynicolas11 likes this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. cka93

cka93 New Member

My car has been doing the same thing, temperature dipped to about -25/-30 and no heat. I finally got some answers from teh dealer and the part won't be in till the end of the month. Its ridiculous! I still love the car but would love it even more if I could drive it!

4. LuvfiestaST

LuvfiestaST Active Member

I have been parking my car outside and some nights it goes down to -20 to -40. No problems yet with the heat. Would love to plug in the block heater but with the filth walking the streets here at nite I'm afraid to..

5. graynicolas11

graynicolas11 Active Member

I had no issues with my heater until today. Got off work (after a 12 hour shift) start up the car and am waiting for my window to defog. After a couple minutes I turn down my music and find its kinda quiet. Turn it all the way down, turn it all the way up..nothing. UGH! turned the car off and back on, nothing.. call ford road side assistance due to the fact I couldn't see outside the windshield. Tow truck driver comes, asks what the problem is, hops in my car..damn thing works...I don't get it..guess i'll be heading to Ford sometime this week!

6. LuvfiestaST

LuvfiestaST Active Member

Uh oh

7. graynicolas11

graynicolas11 Active Member

yup..worked fine today though..both in the morning at 6am (-20) and at dinner time ,630pm -15 so I dunno..guess ill still bring it to ford though and see what they say

8. firSTinWpg

firSTinWpg Member

Well. mine died again. Not even 3 months since they "fixed" it last time. This is the first new vehicle we've owned that has given us this much warranty trouble so early on. Granted this is a relatively minor issue, but an issue that still makes your car undrivable in a colder climate. We have less than 6months, and 5,000km on it and this issue has already popped up twice. I don't really feel like dealing with this issue 2-3 times every winter.

As much as we love this car if Ford doesn't get their stuff together and come up with a proper fix it will be difficult to keep it more than 2 or 3 winters. Living in Winterpeg we need a car that is reliable for the 7 months of the year that it's unbearably cold.

Hope my dealer is more help this time.

9. marc89gti

marc89gti Active Member

Make sure your dealer did the latest TSB 14-0021 which is basically the same as the TSB 13-11-17 but they replace the existing pollen filter with a newer style pollen filter. I had TSB 13-11-17 done but still had snow come in threw the vents after the car had a few cm's of snow on it. Hopefully this new TSB 14-0021 will fix the problem

10. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Is the problem only occurring when there's a combination of snow and cold? Is it snow getting into the blower that's the problem? And, if this is the case, is it snow passing into the intake at the base of the windshield that's the issue? Anybody know?

11. firSTinWpg

firSTinWpg Member

There's always snow and cold here so it would be difficult to isolate the problem that way. I'm pretty sure as others have stated that it's just the snow getting in that is causing the problem, not the cold per se. There is a lengthy discussion on the issue here: http://www.fiestafaction.com/forums/fiesta-service-bay/39963-no-heat.html

I still can't believe in this day and age with automakers being so competitive that Ford could botch something so simple up. The car is brilliant to drive, but who wants to deal with trips to the dealer 2-3 times a year because they can't keep snow from getting in the blower. That's ridiculous.

LuvfiestaST likes this.
  12. marc89gti

marc89gti Active Member

So I'm not 100% convinced the latest TSB 14-0021 (Jan. 29/14) actually solves the issue 100%. I had about 1/2 cm of snow on the windshield today after work and when I started it I could feel a very small amount of moisture coming through the ducts, although it only lasts for about 30seconds then stops. Although it wasn't as visible as the last time it happened after the dealer did TSB 13-11-17. I suspect Ford will have another TSB that supersedes this latest one. Part of me says thinks that if Ford can't find a cheap solution to this problem they will try and convince their customers that this a normal occurrence to get snow in the cab of the car. Time will tell.

13. firSTinWpg

firSTinWpg Member

My biggest concern is that if they don't come up with a permanent fix for this issue that it will become a very expensive "maintenance" item to fix once the vehicle is out of warranty. We have the exteneded warranty to 5yrs but what happens after that? It's bad enough bringing it in once or twice a winter to replace the blower motor under warranty, but I'm assuming it wont be a cheap fix once it's an out of pocket expense.

14. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

Don't think I've had this issue in the snowy weather here.

Granted our snow hasn't lasted as long as some others.

I do feel the heat system is lacking... I can never defog my windows unless I use the maximum setting.... Which gets old quick.
    And, it seems to take a good 15 minutes for the heat to feel like... "heat". At least it works I guess !

My car sleeps in the garage at night & the earliest of the AM though, which is when it's coldest... It does sit out in the snow/cold/rain if I'm out and about. But yeah, like I said it's... 15 mins to heat up.

The seat heats up quick.

The heat in my Raptor was infinitely more effective than the heat in the FiST. I do miss that.

15. Charlie53554

Charlie53554 New Member

Is this an ST thing or a fiesta thing? 2014 thing or prior years as well? I have a 2011 SEL with almost 70000 miles and haven't had a single issue with the car. I ordered my ST on 1/31/14...can't wait for it!

16. firSTinWpg

firSTinWpg Member

It's definitely a Fiesta thing: http://www.fiestafaction.com/forums/fiesta-service-bay/39963-no-heat.html

Just looking at the gap between the hood and intake it's plain to see how snow get's in. The foam gasket that is added in the TSB is a bit of a bandaid fix and clearly doesn't work 100%. Luckily for me it's finally almost spring in Winterpeg lol. Just 2 more months till we can see the grass. (Wish I wasn't exagerating)

RodMoe and Mikeygti like this.
  17. LowSko

LowSko New Member

I drove my 2015 Fiesta Titanium hatch off the lot of Kitchener Ford (ontario) Dec 23rd.
    Friday I woke up to no heat. Its been between -10 and -20C or colder for the last week or so here in my area.
    My dealership took the car in, gave me a rental no questions and replaced my fan and added some screen to avoid the snow/ice getting in and freezing it.
    Had to wait over the weekend for the part to come in.... but yesterday I picked up my car - fan worked fine. Drove home and parked it.
    This morning (-25C) fan is broken again. Funny, the rental i drove to work today was a 2015 Fiesta - fans working great in this one! lol :(

My 2012 Fiesta i traded in due to transmission problems never had this fan issue. And our winter was even colder last year.!

18. TomfromVermont

TomfromVermont New Member

Ive had my 2015 Fiesta less than a month, i had the car towed into the dealership this morning, the blower was frozen. The service guy said older models were fixed by snow shields and the newer models were supposed to have been modified to avoid snow from getting near the blower, the modification doesnt work...i dread driving this car anymore seeing winter lasts about 5 months in vermont...despite anything good about the car this problem is a huge problem here, i cant even buy a snow shield. I regret buying a Fiesta.