How fast have you had your ST going?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by CanadianMark, Jan 22, 2015.

1. moff3tt

moff3tt Active Member

Felt solid at 137 for me hah.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Steve@Tasca

Steve@Tasca Fiesta ST Network Sponsor

Canada corner is a deceptively tricky spot, there are a LOT of incidents at that corner. Thankfully it's also fairly forgiving because it is a fairly low speed turn.

Years ago before they really started using the pace car to slow things down a guy stuffed a Taurus nose first into the wall at the Kink, that kind of kicked the whole slow down off.

If you want to go faster in touring (at the vintage events) you have to go to the May or September races, they're a little better at allowing some real speed on the straights but they will slow you down in the tricky bits.

-Steve

4. Steve@Tasca

BTW- BRGT350, do you do the July race every year? If so we should meet up.

5. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

220 Km/h. It still had more to give.

6. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

I haven't been to Road America since 2003 :(

I am always too short on vacation time to fit it into the schedule. When I was a kid, I would go to Northwood's SAAC at Road America. After that it was going with Saleen for World Challenge in 94-96, and then on our own to World Challenge and BRIC from then until 2003. One of these years I want to get back to Road America and also Oshkosh for the EAA air show.

7. Steve@Tasca

I hit R/A at least every July for the historics and try to do the spring and fall races as well, I really want to go to Oshkosh again (haven't been since the 70s) but it falls so close to the July races that I simply can't justify taking two long weekends that close together.

You really should get to the races again, I think you'll be shocked at the changes in the facility which are pretty much all for the better.

-Steve

RodMoe likes this.
  8. BlackBird

BlackBird Active Member Staff Member

I'm spoiled, I have Lime Rock Park about 40 minutes' (very fun) drive from my house along some nice backroads. I know LRP isn't a 'fast' track, but I wouldn't be surprised if a FiST could crack 110 on the (renamed) Posey straight before having to clamp the irons down. But like Bryan, I've got a lot of other things going on, usually, and since getting my FiST haven't been able to go on track (though I've been there twice since buying the car!).

Firesail likes this.
  9. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

I would love to do Limerock as we as Mid Ohio someday too too many tracks and not enough me and my benjamins ..

Firesail likes this.
  10. Steve@Tasca

I was at Mid-Ohio once back in the 80s, really pretty place.

My back yard is Brainerd International Raceway (2 hour drive), it was quite the place back in the day and the run down the old front straight through turns one and two would really separate the men from the boys. Somewhat sadly the track became much more focused on drag racing and they redesigned the road course to bypass the front straight.

On the plus side the new owners have been putting more time and effort into the place than the last owners did and it's been coming back to life the last few years since they can now run drags, road course and auto cross all at the same time.

My dads home track will always be Road America though, Donnybrooke (BIR) is just not as fun and not nearly as safe a track.

-Steve

11. Golfguy11800

Golfguy11800 Member

Not a fan of the car over 125mph. Feels a little weird. But it went 137mph. Wheel base is so narrow it feels odd at those speeds in addition to the tall-ish profile of the car.

My Focus ST felt solid AF at 155mph.

However, most solid car I've been in was 179mph in my Porsche. I would do heightened lane changes and that car was glued.

Most "fun" was on a Yamaha R1 at 195mph. If you don't feel alive after that, you need a brain transplant. :woot:

12. ZREXER

ZREXER Member

I agree, high speeds on a bike are something else. I had a modded Kawasaki ZX-14 with around 185 rear wheel Hp's and 115 ft lbs of torque. 0 to 200 kph was insane, but what was even more insane is how hard it still pulled after 200 kph up to around 300 kph when the limiter cut in. Vett's Vipers and GTR's were just little dots in the rear view mirror. But to be fair all three would have ultimately would have a slightly higher top speed than my bike

13. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member