How To: Reverse Your Recaro Headrests

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Interior Upgrades' started by BlueBomber, Mar 10, 2014.

1. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

Hey guys,

I was wondering how to do this and I am sure many others asked the same question.

Just pressing the usual headrest retainer button on your recaros won't free the headrest - on the side of the headrest opposite the usual button, there's a "hidden" button facing into the fabric of the seat. I found that it was easiest to press this using a flathead screwdriver.

Press the hidden button while also pressing the usual headrest release and pull up - and out come the headrests. To reverse, just flip em and insert the other way.

[​IMG]

Pictured is the location of the secret button you have to press.

KKaWing, F1ST, EcoBeast and 1 other person like this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Great find !!!

I was wanting to do this for Track Days.
    So I can keep the seat in the optimum position and not have the headrest hit my helmet.

Dave

4. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

That's excellent, thank you. Track days will be a lot more comfortable now! I've literally been sitting bolt up-right and staying off the seat, which had to be reclined more than necessary for optimal driving! :)

5. boost rooster

boost rooster New Member

THANK GOD I wanted to do this when I first got mine so I tried to pull em off but obviously couldn't without knowing bout the super secret button. So thank you

6. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Ok, I have tried this and cannot get it to work.
    I don't seem to find the hidden button.
    Has anyone else got this to work?

Dave

7. McRib 1s Back

Nope, but figured it was easy enough to try at the track. Thanks for doing this ahead of time, Dave!

The real Dave would have suggested a big hammer or maybe a sawzall to simply remove the offending piece! :)

8. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I just finished all of my chores for the week so I decided to try this.
    I too thought it would be easy and do at the track.
    I have been screwing with it for the last 30 minutes.
    And I do keep looking at my Plasma Cutter.

Dave

9. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I even tried a bigger screw driver.

[​IMG]

Dave

Firesail likes this.
  10. McRib 1s Back

Ha. That's just not right. Oh yeah, I see your problem -- you don't have LED elements in your overhead lighting! It's such a pretty orange, however... :)

On a serious note, is it possible it's reversed on our car -- with the button release on the other side? I just double-checked the OP photo, and you're on the same side he is.

11. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

OK,
    It does come out.

[​IMG]

And it is easy if you know what to look for.
    Here you can see the button.

[​IMG]

It does look funny this way but it wont hit your helmet.

Dave

[​IMG]

Dave

F1ST likes this.
  12. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

It's also really uncomfortable to drive around this way if you are not wearing a helmet, lol

13. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

Dang thats wierd lookin....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

14. DirtyBlueshirt

DirtyBlueshirt Active Member

Believe it or not, Every Titanium & ST owner already has the correct tool for the locking pin. Seriously!

1. Find your key fob. If you lost it, well then... that's your own damn fault.
    2. Open the back of the key fob and remove the emergency key.
    3. The sides of the "T" are the perfect size and depth to push the release pin.
    4. Aren't you glad you read this?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

bryramos and LuvfiestaST like this.
  15. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I must say that reversing the headrest was the best MOD we did for the track this time out.

Dave

16. McRib 1s Back

Yes, it worked pretty well. I'd really like *some* support, and this offers none. From a safety perspective, it's not the best idea. Yes, it's quite comfortable, but understand the reason the head bolster was so aggressive in the first place was for safety reasons.

17. boost rooster

boost rooster New Member

I wish they were at least adjustable. Its a little bit to aggressively angled. I took a 800 mile road trip last week and my neck hurt for a few days afterward.

18. McRib 1s Back

My first road trip was a bit painful, too. I found that even a small change in seat angle made a big difference. I now really like these seats for all kinds of street driving. Headrest aside, the seat itself was a bit rough for me -- a well worn topic around here. Now, it's really great, and I appreciate the design completely. I'm really not complaining about the headrest since a change here would be a compromise for it's great street design, and that's the primary mission of such a seat/car. I'll buy actual race seats in the future...

19. Lady Haight

Lady Haight New Member

OK so I successfully reversed the headrest but cannot get the
    reversed headrest out to turn it around back correctly. Help!

20. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I does work exactly the same way.
    It has always for me the many times I have done it.

Dave

21. Lady Haight

Lady Haight New Member

You're right. I had to hold my mouth just so and involve my 15 year old, but we got it.