I am ready for a bolt on turbo upgrade

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Engine Upgrades' started by RDgolfer, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Steve@Tasca

Steve@Tasca Fiesta ST Network Sponsor

Not really worth the risk, once the bigger turbo is installed all it would take is one slip of the right foot to grenade the engine due to the lack of a tune.

Only takes a couple seconds.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Cesso

Cesso Member

A torque spike very low in the rev range is also one of the most strenuous things you can do to your motor. I know people like removing the factory limiters and turning up the boost down low and getting those HUGE torque figures, but in the real world all it does is look impressive on the dyno, roast tires like nobody's business, and strain the bottom end of the motor like nothing else. I'd rather have the boost come on more linearly as it does with a slightly larger turbo (or careful modulation of boost control).
  4. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Depending where you drive and how a smidge less Tq down low might be more drive able with less wheel spin once you get the hang of it I mean and more power on the big end is a plus if you ever had it wound out on a track you will know the stock unit falls off about 4500 rpm .
  5. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

Yes, absolutely. I'd trade power down low for a bigger top-end punch on the track!
    RodMoe likes this.
  6. sourskittle

sourskittle Member

I completely agree with that.

7. HollywoodF1

HollywoodF1 New Member

I guess it depends what your purpose is. HP will help you drive at a higher top speed and accelerate faster when you're already going fast. The trade-off is 4-times the turbo lag. You can read that off the chart because the time required is a squared function of the torque differential, which is half as much per RPM over the first half of the rev range. I like the early torque, and would not want to trade that.
  8. moff3tt

moff3tt Active Member

I hear the rev limit is a function of our turbo. I'd trade a bigger turbo with worse spool time if I get 1 or 2 thousand more RPM out of the motor and boost to go with it. Tweak with the variable valve timing in our motors and we shouldn't need new cams for a bit either. We'd be able to do a lean burn tune for cruising to get even better highway mileage too just like the guys with boosted D16s do. 60+ mpg highway but 500hp when they romp on it.

As far as trading off low-end torque. While it is super convenient would just require a change in driving habit to down shift more often to put the motor in a better rev range.