I just registered for the Ford ST Octane academy:

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by wash, Dec 14, 2013.

1. audiphile

audiphile Member

I think Ford might have been aiming at a younger hipper audience with this car and thus, with the ST academy. Many of us have experience with HPDE and that was the reason to buy this car... I'm sure if I were 20 (and had money for a new car!) I'd have loved the ST Academy, but at this point, I'll just use the ticket money for a track weekend at the Glen
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. tommy

tommy New Member

All they needed to do was look at the median age of Mini buyers to know that's not true. I'll see you at the Glen this summer - I'll be in my CRX. :)
  4. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

I don't agree. Sorry. If you don't want to go don't go but there's no false advertising and you apparently don't know what a Ponzi Scheme is.
    It is exactly a "fun day with a car you can learn on."

With the number of idiots out there I wouldn't let any of you have unfettered access to lapping in my car either....especially at Miller Park.
  5. Blinkrz

Blinkrz Member

I'm making a week long vacation out of it as I've never been to Utah. The reception dinner, and driving "school" will be a nice lil birthday gift from Ford to me. If I get the funds together to do a second day and gift it to myself great, if not....still great. I can spend the money (prob less) doing an excursion or something of the like up around Utah, maybe rent a Harley and drive through the mountains, I dunno.

I am gonna make the best of whatever it is they give us.....FOR FREE, how can anyone complain when you are given something....FOR FREEEEEE? lol

At the end of the day, Miller Autosports Park (or whatever its called) is a business, they need to make money, they are discounting the GT school by a lot, just for us....am I able to spend $1k? Maybe...will I, prob not, but still a good deal none the less.

Anyways, try to look at it like me, like a vacation, not soley for the purpose of the FREE driving school.

My .02 :)
    Smokin likes this.
  6. tommy

tommy New Member

Yes, I know what a ponzi scheme is, don't be a literal ass.
    Saying "there's a free day at a track location" does leave the intended implication that there will be track time - why not do it cheaper somewhere else, then? Oh, there's an actual track day the next day, and it will cost a grand? Well, what a coincidence. I'm sure Miller gave them a discount on the facilities, with the understanding that there's a probability that some of the participants will partake. I still view it as a bit sleazy on Ford's part (look at Fiat's freebie for Abarth owners as a comparison), and they should have been specific from the start; if you don't, you're certainly entitled to your own opinion.
  7. Blinkrz

Blinkrz Member

I dont see how Ford would be responsible...the park prob offered their services to Fords customers knowing the type of crowd that would attend. That crowd would be most likely interested in partaking in a 2nd day. If you ask me, from a financial perspective on the autoparks part, smart.

Making money is how businesses stick around and grow, not giving away free track days...that is unless Ford is paying for each and every single one of us....and I highly doubt that...think about that for a min.
  8. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Umm I thought thats why you needed a VIN to get in and that would mean Ford is paying for your first day of whatever it is they provide plus i bet they provided the FiST and FoST cars for the event ( i wouldn't be surprised if the Fiesta Movement ST's ended up there or at least some of them)
  9. wash

wash Active Member

I asked, the cars are not Fiesta Movement or EcoBoost Challenge. I don't know why but Ford is evidently scrapping a lot of STs because I haven't heard of any landing spot for those cars.

I honestly don't care if there is no road course time, there is a reason why racers wear a Hans device, nut and bolt their car between races and design their cars for easy repair. The chance of crash damage and injury goes up with speed so sticking an inexperienced driver in a car that can do 120+ on a straight on a course with barriers they can crash in to might not be a good experience to give away.
  10. Blinkrz

Blinkrz Member

Prob just for verification purposes, to ensure only ST owners would show up, doesn't mean Ford isn't assisting them with this.

In relation to wash's post...it could be possible the ST's being used are pre-production models that instead of scraping them they put them to use, my guess though.
  11. moshaholic2

moshaholic2 Active Member

The ST's being used have safety mods done to them as well as a hydraulic handbrake lever installed (rally style).

There were pictures of them on the miller facebook page. They arrived on the same train that my car came on.
  12. Blinkrz

Blinkrz Member

13. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

From the First post they had up on the Octane Academy when first announced
    Blinkrz likes this.
  14. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

And BTW this is not Ford running the show, this is the Octane Academy, which is a business, and is sponsored by Ford and Ford is picking up our tab. Good marketing in my opinion...
    Blinkrz likes this.
  15. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

As well as roll cages if you see the whole web site.....
  16. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Also, from the original Ford press release:

"... owners will start with a dynamic classroom session with school instructors, and then spend the rest of the morning learning car control, cornering, braking and vehicle dynamic techniques. Lunch will be provided.

The afternoon session features more on-track driving including lead and follow exercises, instructor ride-alongs and hot laps with professional drivers. It also includes high-spirited precision driving exercises and challenges featuring a custom circuit. The day will end with participating owners receiving a special graduation pack from the team followed by the ST karting challenge."

This certainly implies more than j-turns and an autocross. Especially the "on-track driving" part. I'd like to know more though. I was seriously considering trying to make it out there, it sounded fun.
  17. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

I'm going one way or another but then I've driven from Seattle to Utah many times for ProSolo autocrosses so this seems like a much better deal since I can fly-n-drive rather than drive 1700 miles in usually scotching heat for only 12 autocross runs.
  18. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

If i was closer it would be a no brainer...
  19. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I just got off the phone with Bill at MILLER MOTORSPORTS PARK.
    I called because there was a link error.
    Anyway I asked about the events of the day.

I was told there WILL be road course track time.
    There Will be autocross time.

The Fiestas have additional rear calipers installed with an additional handle for drifting.
    AND we WILL be taught how to use them.

20. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

Great news! Thanks for restoring order in the universe! :cool:
  21. Blinkrz

Blinkrz Member

Good, glad we can lay this to rest.
    Smokin likes this.