I just registered for the Ford ST Octane academy:

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by wash, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Blinkrz

Blinkrz Member

Couple more weeks till I fly out there, curious if anyone else here will be attending on April 9th? Be nice to meet up with at least one person from here.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

my buddy with a Focus ST and I are carpooling from Anaheim, CA out there for May 2-3

4. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I will be there April 5 & 6.

Dave

5. smatty

smatty Member

Did everyone that has signed up go for the $100 limited liability coverage?

6. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

I'm going to get the $100 coverage. Because I'm me, my luck is awful, and it paid off in spades when I rented that Camaro SS and let the huge nose of that car just barely kiss the guardrail making a tight hairpin on US-101 between Big Sur and SLO
    didn't hurt anything but put a nick in the paint.
    yay for 0 liability and walking away.

7. bobjob

bobjob Active Member

I havent read much into it, but you need to bring your own car?

8. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

Bob: You can come in whatever car you feel like - the main thing is that FORD PROVIDES a Roll-Caged and Track-Safety-Ready but STOCK Ford Focus ST or Ford Fiesta ST for you to drive for during the driving clinics. There is no wear involved on your own car.

9. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

I'm going June 11-12.

Important note re: the liability waiver: Payment of the $105-or-so liability waiver fee does NOT remove all one's liability for damage to the car. It only limits one's liability to $5000. Basically, you're still on the hook for significant damages, should they occur, but you're not gonna end up buying an entire car should the unthinkable occur. I'm paying the fee and then I'm gonna hope and pray I don't hurt the car at all.

10. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

In fact, they will not let you drive your own car during the course, as I understand it, even should you want to.

11. bobjob

bobjob Active Member

Crap, now I have to go to Utah! I'll put it on my bucket list. I stil havent past 600 miles on my car but I sure want to go. For those that go can you post a review or something to let us know what you actually do?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  12. Zormecteon

Zormecteon Active Member

April 28th and 29 for me.. I'm driving from Western Washington State in the Fist, down I-84. I've been taking this route to SLC since it was US-30, back in the 1960s. Have reservations at the Hyatt.

13. silvertoy

silvertoy Member

Ugh, I so desperately want to go but I can't leave the wifey alone with 3 little kids while I Fly cross country and go off and play. *whipcrack* I know. Soooo desperately want to go. I've had both STs, so I wanted to run both, then definitely would do the add on day with the raptor. Sniff. :(

14. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

I'm in on the Apr 2-3 class, so I'll definitely let everyone know how it goes.

spangenb likes this.
  15. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Looking forward to a good recon!

spangenb likes this.
  16. speedprotege

speedprotege Member

Spend $700 to get there,
    Or spend $700 into the car I'm mods??

17. Zormecteon

Zormecteon Active Member

When you ask the experts whether to put your $$$$ into the car or into track time, the answer is invariably track time. The better driver in the slower car is most often the winner. Experience can't be lost, stolen or broken.

Smokin likes this.
  18. peoples1234

peoples1234 Member

The question I am having a hard time answering is to spend $700 to get there, stay there, and come back, or just use that money to buy local track time. Unfortunately, I can't do both with my other habits (track days on a motorcycle and sailing). I am not sure that what I would get from the academy would be better or worse than something local.

RodMoe likes this.
  19. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

Spend the money to get there! I just finished the program and it was awesome! You get to drive both FiST and FoST for all the events. There is a little classroom time and the rest is behind the wheel. The basic schedule was :

Reception the evening before at Ken Blocks facility in Park City
    7:30 Suit up
    8:00 Classroom (~45 min)
    9:00-:10:15 Parking box, Forward 180 & Reverse 180
    10:30 Van tour of the track (2.2 mile East loop)
    11:00 skid car driving (Fusion with hydraulic lift rig and casters)
    11:30 Lunch
    12:45 Urban X autocross course practice
    1:30 Track Lead and follow
    2:15 Urban X timed competition
    3:00 Track runs (2 laps with instructor as passenger, 4 laps solo, choice of FiST or FoST)
    3:45 Hot laps with instructor driving (holy shit is all I have to say about this!)
    4:15 Wrap up, awards and swag presentation
    4:45 Karting
    5:15 Depart

Here is the swag you get:
    [​IMG]
    The ST badges are unique and you can only get them by attending the academy. The trophy is the custom turning brake handle they put in all the cars.
    Lots of pictures and videos will be uploaded. I can't tell you guys how to spend your money, but this is worth it IMO.

johnnyquest, Smokin, bryramos and 2 others like this.
  20. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Love the report, thanks. I'm scheduled for mid-June, and am looking forward to it big-time. With regards to the $700 (or whatever it might cost for any particular individual), I would wager that for most of us, the biggest room for improvement isn't in making modifications to the vehicles--it's in making ourselves better drivers. I'm sure that's the case with me, which is why I'd rather do this than spend an equivalent amount on hoses and filters and whatnot, though those things have their places, obviously. Track time is obviously a different comparison, but one day at a track with good instruction is probably worth at least two or three more-or-less solo efforts. But lots of local factors to consider there, too. And some people don't have a track nearby.

21. wash

wash Active Member

I just completed the program.

It was great.

The damage waiver is probably not necessary, the big track has nice gravel runoff areas and its not wheel to wheel racing so on track incidents are improbable. The urban cross event had plastic barriers you could hit but nothing that would do $5,000 in damage. One of the instructors said he had hit a barrier at about 50 mph sideways and barely damaged his car and for an Octane Academy car, they probably wouldn't care.

On the first day I got to Hoonigan early and shot a FN SCAR16 full auto at the local gun club. That's something you can't really do in California unless you know people... Any way the price was not too bad.

I stayed in the Comfort Inn at the intersection of 80 and 36 I think. As far as I could tell its the closest hotel to the race track that is directly between the track and the airport. If you want to minimize your street driving, its is a good choice, comfortable and has a race car in the lobby.

At the track we had lots of driving time and maybe 45 minutes in the classroom, a very good ratio.

The gift shop has very reasonably priced t-shirts and some $60 polo shirts but the best piece was the ST Octane Academy aluminum water bottle for about $7.00, its green anodized so you can spot it easily and has the academy logo on it.

There is a restaurant called the Bonneville brewing company or something. It was a nice meal with good portions, if you want something nicer than Applebee's. Its near the Holiday Inn Express in Tooele and a little bit hard to get to but its worth it.

I wound up spending a lot more than I planned because my airplane ticket got screwed up but it was still worth it.

I think every eligible ST owner should attend if they can.