I just registered for the Ford ST Octane academy:

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by wash, Dec 14, 2013.

1. golfhack

golfhack Member

Thanks for the reviews guys! I'm in for May 6th.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. bryramos

bryramos Member

Likewise. Thanks for the review guys. I saw some pictures in Instagram from other ST drivers who have gone through the Octane Academy. Everyone was having a blast. Also great for Ford to hand out the special ST badges.

I'm still deciding what date to register. It'll be either June 12-13 or July 1-2.
  4. wash

wash Active Member

I'm at the airport and I got through the TSA with my trophy.

I was lucky enough to get in the expedited screening line, they swabbed my palms but then they let me go through with my shoes and belt on and my laptop in my bag. Much easier.

Luckily they didn't pick up any GSR from my range trip even though I was packing my target earlier...
  5. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Scott, did you take pictures and video or did they do it for you?

I was curious about bringing my Go-Pro.
  6. wash

wash Active Member

You can bring a Go Pro but get a suction cup mount, they don't want cameras loose in the car.

I have a lot of footage to go through, it will need editing but I'm not quite set up for that.
    Smokin likes this.
  7. smatty

smatty Member

I was waiting until somebody actually attended had good things to say but now I am signed up and headed out August 4-5!
  8. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I had no problem as well.
    TSA never opened my bag.
    They also did not require me to remove my shoes or anything.

You are lucky they did not get any large amounts of GSR.
    I am sure they sensed something, that's why the hand swab.

9. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

Tons of video and stills that my daughter took with her Nokia Icon and I had the GoPro. Still editing, and figuring out how to create a YouTube channel to upload them. They don't mind GoPro's, they just ask that you don't slow down the class getting your camera ready. It's free advertising for them.
    Smokin likes this.
  10. WScottCross

What did you think? I know you have lots of track experience. How do think the overall experience was?
  11. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

We were told that someone in a previous group than ours did a BIG no-no.
    Was it anyone here?

12. WScottCross

Nothing happened in my group.
  13. moshaholic2

moshaholic2 Active Member

Shoulda hit me up, I live in Park City and hit that range often. Was waiting to hear from others how the academy was before signing up. Sounds like its worth it.
  14. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

All-in all we had a great time.
    Issues that I had:
    Found out "wash' can't navigate. ;)
    Found out I can get lost on an auto X course. :(
    Also I went too fast on the road track and got laughed at for making a dust cloud (bad line in turn 1). :eek:

Smokin likes this.
  15. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Good god!
    It's a no brainer.
    If you live there, it's all free for you.
    It all cost me about $800.00 and worth every penny.

16. wash

wash Active Member

Nope, I was randomly selected.

Both lines were short at that early hour, I was trying to figure out where to go and they said "come over here give me your hand". I was selected within 5 seconds. It really was that quick.
  17. moshaholic2

Why Ive hesitated.
    Been to Hoonigan plenty of times.
    Been to Miller a lot

Seriously more interested in the "swag" ha.

Work is slow for the next month and a half. I'll see if there is space in a session before I leave for the WRC Argentina event in May.
  18. bryramos

bryramos Member

I just signed up for June 14-15. It's going to be a busy June for me :greedy:. X-Games Austin June 6 to 8 and then ST Octane Academy June 14 to 15. I'm soooo excited though :joyful:
  19. moshaholic2

Signed up for June 8/9 earliest that allowed registration despite slots being open before.

Anyone coming, don't just goto Hoonigan as its actually a bit outside the town of Park City. Try to make time to head up to main st also to eat/drink. (Home of Sundance Film Festival, best restaurants & bars in Utah, 3 ski resorts and if the weather is good, AWESOME mtn biking and downhill trails)

spangenb likes this.
  20. bryramos

bryramos Member

Thanks for the tip!
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  21. Zormecteon

Zormecteon Active Member

Today marks the start of a vacation week in which I will be attending the Octane Academy. We will leave Southwest Washington State Sunday morning and drive the FiST to SLC. My play dates are next Tuesday/Wednesday, with a return by the end of the week. I know that many people fly in, but at only about 800 -> 900 miles, I thought I should go ahead and drive.