I just registered for the Ford ST Octane academy:

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by wash, Dec 14, 2013.

1. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

Wish I could have done that. It was double that for me to drive. It was a great experience for me and I learned a lot!.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Zormecteon

Zormecteon Active Member

Drove to SLC today. The speed limit in Idaho is 75 mph, quite a step up after crossing Oregon where the tops is 65 mph. Then we crossed the border into Utah and the limit went up another 5 to 80 mph. I had the speed control set to 80 across Idaho and 85 across Utah and had my best Fuel economy yet. I got over 33 mpg with an average speed of 72 mph for that tank. Reception tomorrow evening. more reports to come.
    johnnyquest likes this.
  4. WScottCross

I noticed some similar results on some of my trips. The car loves to go fast!
  5. Zormecteon

Zormecteon Active Member

well I've done it. You should do it
  6. eRic

eRic Active Member

going to the ST Octane Academy on May 2-3.
  7. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

See you there. I'm bringing my car.

Nick aka BlueBomber

I know a couple Focus ST guys that registered and actually missed their dates and were like oh well "I didn't feel like putting miles on the car blah blah blah excuse excuse excuse"

I was like, "you'll SHIP your car from CA to the big focus show thing out in the midwest or whereverthehell it is, carlisle I think? (why the fuck are all the car shows there? Like hell I'm going to the east coast), but you won't drive 8 hours to miller motorsports park to actually learn to drive? yep, you've sure got your priorities straight"
  8. Zormecteon

Zormecteon Active Member

The cars they have are essentially stock, except that they've added roll bars and another set of rear brake calipers that are hydraulically actuated by a big lever that replaces the stock hand brake.

They separated us into two groups. One learned the 90 degree sliding park, and the handbrake 180, while the other group learned to drive in reverse and to a handbrake 180 with a drive out of the maneuver. .. YeeHAaaA...

We got a tour of the track, then a tour of their gymkhana/Urban Cross layout followed by some practice in the FiST. Lunch, followed by driving around the track for a lap or so with and instructor, followed by time of track. I lost track of the number of laps, but that's where you really get a feel for what the car is capable of in your own hands... right after that we got to ride with an experienced race driver to see what the cars are REALLY capable of doing.

Then back to the Urban Cross for one practice run followed by two timed runs. ... then the Awards. I placed 3rd in the timed event. Not bad for an old guy., .. Thats me in the middle...

If you're not already taking your car to the track and want to know what it can REALLY do, I highly recommend taking advantage of all this. Not many of us can afford the kind of abuse you get to put on these cars, let alone the cost of TIRES. The cars I drove all had about 500 miles on them. Barely even broken in.
  9. eRic

eRic Active Member

I'm here... at the host hotel of ST Octane Academy. heading to Hoonigan headquarters soon.
  10. eRic

eRic Active Member

best weekend ever
  11. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Octane Academy Group.jpg

Our May 11th group. I'm the second from the left. It was a blast! Highly recommended.
  12. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Looking good, Greg! I do wish they'd put the FiST and FoST in front as the vehicles, though. Glad you enjoyed it. I'm scheduled for June 11-12, and am looking forward to it.
  13. WmJay

WmJay Member

That guy second from the right is pretty handsome as well.

Jim, you'll have an amazing time. It far exceeded my expectations of the program, and I'd go back again this weekend if I could. I figure they have the Mustangs in the foreground because they do far more Mustang classes than they do the ST. The general public can't even buy their way in to the ST Octane Academy without the purchase of one of the cars.
  14. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Good point about the cars; hadn't thought of the relative number of classes/participants. That said, I'd still like it better if it had the "proper" cars in the pic! Either way, though, I'm glad you, too, enjoyed it. Seems like it gets nothing but rave reviews. I'm itching to go, for sure. Then there'll probably be another pic of a a group in red outfits with one of 'em having a silly grin on his face!
  15. Zormecteon

Zormecteon Active Member

From the pictures I'm seeing, average class size is about 20.... I'm glad I went in the middle of the week and there were only SEVEN of us as I'm pretty sure it meant more seat time. If someone hasn't scheduled yet, that's something to consider when picking the date.
  16. WScottCross

My class only had 9 of us. The early classes were small so they could get the program sorted out and they were scaling up from there. The intent is for all the classes to have 20 drivers. They will split the larger classes in half from what I was told. It was nice getting plenty of seat time.
  17. golfhack

golfhack Member

I attended on the 7th(Wens), we had 15 drivers. Cool group.
  18. WScottCross

We had 7 owners and 2 journalists. This is the picture my daughter the professional photographer took: (I'm second from the left in the back row)
  19. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Nice pic. That car on the left looks pretty cool, too!
  20. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

Who emailed you the class pic? I would love to have that.

I was so stoked I beat Mark, Bijan and Lew on Urban X. Karting meh but that I wanted.

21. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

So without buying the Guest Experience package I can't just bring my girlfriend and let her hang out at the track? She really isn't too interested in the track stuff, but would like to be there to watch. Would be nice to bring her to the reception too. They need a guest/spectator option :)