Ideal Setup for G-Stock Class

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by djdennehy, Aug 26, 2014.

1. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

I wanted to start a thread to discuss what modifications would be most ideal for a FiST within G-Stock class. From what I gather, and I am not well versed at all in the rule book for SCCA, we are able to use a drop in filter, and a cat back exhaust as our only power adders (which sadly, doesn't mean a while lot versus a FoST). Suspension tuning is limited to a rear sway bar, and camber we can manage with the stock suspension, and (correct if I am wrong) the shocks. We can change wheels and tires, and not much else...

I also wanted to ask what setups people are running with great success or failure... I am going to finish this season as well as this year on the OEM tires, and will be purchasing a new cat back, wheels, tires, and potentially other items (you tell me) so that I can be more competitive next year against the FoSTs that I am racing against.

Attached Files:

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. jasyatz

jasyatz Member

Smokin likes this.
  4. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

djdennehy likes this.
  5. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

@Smokin thanks for the link, that is helpful. Going through that thread has a lot of information, I will need to dig through it.

6. k757

k757 Active Member

You'll find two camps in the FiST world: high tire pressure and normal tire pressure.

I'm on the normal pressure side (Dunlop Z2, 205/50-16) with 39 front and 37 rear. The argument with the higher pressures is rotation. I have no issues in that regard but it may be driving style.

7. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

My current wish list is as follows:
    MRT or FSWerks exhaust (if you have either, would love your input)
    Hankook Ventus RS-03 V2 tires (would love input on ideal size)
    Replacement Pads (would love input here, as well as where the heck can I buy a front and rear set...)
    Eibach rear sway bar
    Can we use wheel spacers?
    Can we use camber bolts?

8. k757

k757 Active Member

I have an MBRP exhaust in a box, waiting for install

depends on what wheel size 16 or 17.

The stock pads are especially good. Since you are asking certain things, tells me that you aren't at the pro level. Use up the oem pads first. It'll be a while

I have the Eibach Front sway bar. I'm trying to keep the front tires flat

Spacers.. I think no but not 100%
    Camber bolts.... I think no but not 100%

9. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

I want to use the stock wheels, so 17 inch...

10. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

digging through the rule book now, spotted that we are allowed to use wheel spacers as long as they are not greater than 6.35MM, and luckilyenough H&R does make a 5MM spacer...good news to widen our track

Smokin likes this.
  11. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

it also states that the addition or substitution of Anti Roll bars is allowed, so sounds as though the Eibach swaybar set front and back should not be an issue... can someone confirm this for certain? I always thought we were only allowed the rear bar...

12. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

Doesn't look like camber bolts would be allowed, only OEM adjustments/tolerances are allowed...

13. limbo

limbo Active Member

Only one bar change is allowed. I know you want to keep stock wheels but consider 16x7's because you have more options with wider tire sizes that aren't too tall ie 225/45/16. There's not much magic to the gs setup right now. Sway bar doesn't do much and we are all anxiously awaiting adjustable shocks.

Smokin likes this.
  14. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

Not all of us are awaiting adjustable shocks ;-)

jasyatz and k757 like this.
  15. limbo

limbo Active Member

Touche

Replace "we all" with "those of us that are not brave or mechanically-inclined enough to custom fit other car shocks on"

16. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

I believe the rules cover these and other similar questions fairly readily--the section on what's allowed in Street categories isn't that terribly long--less than ten pages. Try looking in the section on Anti-Roll (Sway) Bars, for instance, and read through the previous threads. I think you'll find the answers you're looking for.

17. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

Yeah I got some clarity between the rulebook and other threads, this has been very helpful so thanks everyone for input. I am making a laundry list of things to do with the car for next season as I will be trying to get even more competitive within the Pittsburgh area and might make a few trips to Nationals competitions in the North East.

18. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

All I'm sayin'.....

Konis.jpeg

jasyatz, jimclark and djdennehy like this.
  19. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

BTW you don't need a rear bar. The rear is stiff enough...

k757 likes this.
  20. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

Keep us posted with how they turn out...

21. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

I think all I am going to do is get the new set of tires, spacers, cat back and pads... call it a day. Like what was said earlier, doesn't sound like we have a special recipe to unlock huge gains, just a few small items.