Ideal Setup for G-Stock Class

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by djdennehy, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Just be careful with 17" wheels and spacers. 16" will work. There is not much fender clearance with any other than the OEM 205 tires. Any larger tire will rub especially with spacers.Brake pads are not necessary either. The brakes are excellent. As I have told many people, if you are going all hard on braking in autocross you're losing time...

In a school in July I had a student in a WRX who would hit the brakes like he was landing on an aircraft carrier. I got in, barely braked at all and beat his time by 3 seconds.
    Mr UFO likes this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

Are there any rules against hand rolling the fenders? Or at least cutting out some of the inner metal to make space? I want to get some width using 215 tires and spacers.
  4. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Yep. Not allowed in Street. But, like in my GTI with R-comps if the tire just rubs away the fender liner it's not your fault......
  5. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

225 Rivals have done a number on my front fender liners. Of course, they put up a fight and the Rivals have some ugly battlescars to show for it.
    Mightymango and djdennehy like this.
  6. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

Well in a couple days the ZII star spec will be legal. Having driven on them I highly recommend
  7. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

I thought the Star Spec wasn't legal until January 1st? Doesn't matter I guess as I still have an unused set of the ZIIs left over.
  8. Mightymango

Nope legal as soon as Nats is about 48hours
  9. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

Alan. Did you skip nats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Best mod you can make to be competitive in GS is change the i to an o in FiSt
    Smokin likes this.
  11. Mightymango

Or a G to an H in GS
    Smokin likes this.
  12. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Today's quiz: Which end needs a sway bar?

23 Lincoln three wheeling.jpg
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    djdennehy likes this.
  13. Mightymango

Based on that shot......front looks like it may help.
    Smokin likes this.
  14. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

BTW, congratulations to John Crooke, CrookedRacer, for coming from Maryland with his FiST and competing with me. His overall was 132.758 to my 133.325, a mere 0.570 secs difference. Day 1 he was -0.547 and Day 2 -0.023. We both were using Falken 215/45x16s and Konis. I do believe we got the best out of these cars within the Street rules.

There is rumor of a switch to HS for the FiST but it will only be believed when it happens. Otherwise, we will just have fun locally. Send your letters to the SCCA, it's not too late!
    djdennehy likes this.
  15. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

16. Mightymango

I'm going to write another letter as based on the times at Lincoln HS would be a good fit for the car and it would give the Mini some competition in that class. Either that or it stays, the focus moves, and it still loses to old unobtainable Celicas.

BTW ^^^ That part of the course was a LOT of fun. You were in the zone it seemed like so I did not come say hello.
  17. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

I agree with you. des was in the 107, what car were you in?

At least with the Minis we have a target to shoot for. Just looking back to 2012 in the GTI I was 4.4 secs back of Loring in that 2000 Celica that Moran and Thomas drove. This year I was 4.02 secs back of Moran. I was 3.986 back of Greg Reno in the world's fastest Mini...I would take my chances in HS for sure.

BTW we are all talking about running a 1.6 liter engine against 2.0l turbos and 2.5's. And get this: " Volvo S60 T6-R AWD, as the name implies, comes with all-wheel drive as well as a 3.0-liter turbocharged inline-6 that produces 300 hp and 325 lb-ft of torque. A six-speed automatic is standard. In Edmunds performance testing, an S60 T6 without this year's transmission improvements hit 60 mph in 5.9 seconds." uh, yeah, that belongs in G-Street along with the 252 hp, 270 pound-feet of torque Focus.......
    jimclark and LT Berzerker like this.
  18. Mightymango

Not to mention the RWD Genesis as well which has a superior driveline (RWD > FWD ) which is also getting sorted out. If you want to make both classes interesting , keep the focus put and move the FiST. I'm cool with that. Then HS wouldnt been just minis and might actually make the class a little more interesting. Granted Reno....yeah....he is quick. If we could JUST get some allowance for alignment settings....that would be a little helpful.
    jimclark likes this.
  19. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Looks like the Konis didn't help as much on the front end as we might have hoped, eh, Smokin'? Still pretty noticeable roll across the front and lifting the inside rear. That idea of a stiffer front bar sounds attractive now.
  20. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

My thoughts exactly.

Haven't done it yet though.

I have been hesitant to point out that I ran within a tenth of Trevor Jones after 3 runs (6 tenths after 7 runs) at a regional event a week before nationals.

16 gs 676 Trevor Jones 44.700 43.693+dnf 43.756 43.658 43.405 43.576 43.266 34.872 +0.081
    17 str 43 Ted Blus 42.808 42.687 42.416 42.247+dnf 42.065 42.210 41.848 35.068 +0.196
    18 stc 527 Michael Waich 42.932 42.460+2 42.902 42.665+1 43.260 43.259 42.580 35.085 +0.017
    19 gs 643 Brent Seaton 44.819+1 43.885 44.080+1 44.671+1 43.649+1 44.028 44.009 35.371 +0.286

Frankly, I was encouraged as hell by that experience. At the same time, I might be deluded because of several factors including it was a regional course, Trevor was on Federals, and whatever other good reasons for the result being spurious. Trevor seemed slow relative to the other guys there (no disrespect to MAC because the drivers in that club are for real), so something was up. It might have just been the tires. Mango was there, he could probably clarify other reasons why it was not a representative result. For that matter, Trevor was there himself, so he could clarify what was up. I am a second to third tier driver. If I was in his car, I would not have beaten him, and he would have probably beaten me in my car. Don't get me wrong, if they want to change the classing so be it. F..., if the Fiesta ST ends up in HS, I will not complain.
  21. Mightymango

Trevor was struggling with the over the hill transition and "S" Turn (as did I) when I talked to him. It was a lower placement then I have seen him do before. Trevor also had been running different tires at different events, he ran Kooks at nats, so I would figure that would have something to do with the results as well. That event had almost all our fast guys out as it was the event before nats, even I was surprised how fast people were running. You did drive well though (beat the people I had driving my car) made me wonder how I would have done if I was in a car not the kart.

So the question is now....which front bar would be the one to go with?
    Couldahadav8 likes this.