Ideal Setup for G-Stock Class

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by djdennehy, Aug 26, 2014.

1. TRev

TRev Member

My placement at the Winnebago event was mostly due to course design/layout IMO. If you look at all the cars above me on index, they are all significantly lighter and smaller in size. The course was by far the tightest I had seen all season, much of the turning was done off camber, and it had some really large offsets all of which are a detriment to the FoST. There really was only one section where I was able to use power and it was brief (out of the carousel going up the hill). The Federals typically due well on asphalt so I don't think they contributed much to the lackluster times. I would consider my driving average that day and probably similar to my performance at Solo Nationals.

I only have one experience driving a FiST thus far and it was on a 1/2 course at our Milwaukee Solo school in the spring. I drove Eric Bertrand's car. I know it had rims and Z2's. Not sure on size of tires/rims or if it had a bar. I had run the practice course (which was definitely a bit more open than the Winnebago event) 12 times in the FoST and my best was something like a 28 second run. I was within .2 seconds after taking two runs in the FiST. I believe Jeff Cashmore drove both my FoST and the FiST nearly back to back and his times were very similar as well. Even though I feel like the FiST would be the car to have in most cases if it moves to HS, I think the move would be a good one as the Mini has reigned HS for a long time and some serious competition from another car would be a good thing for the class.

Couldahadav8 likes this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

Yeah, I didn't want to speak for you Trevor but I knew you said the layout was a problem. Those off camber turns were brutal.

Like I said I think HS could be a good place for the Fiesta. Then you have a new fun platform for that class hopefully helping it be more competitive and if you leave the FoST put you have a newer more obtainable car/popular car in GS which had good numbers nationally. If you remove it from GS the numbers of participation drop drastically and if the FiST was left there it would still be an underdog based on the results. Thanks for your input Trevor.

I submitted a letter to the SEB with the proposal.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    Couldahadav8 likes this.
  4. jasyatz

jasyatz Member

The biggest one you can get, the RB Fiesta bar. 25.5mm and just plain works. (I've been told the ST is different than my Mz2, but I stand by my conviction). Nothing else made the car turn in better, even doubling the front spring rate.

Either that or spend some crazy cash and have the Konis doubled ( if not already) and revalved with a silly amount of bump and pressure ( to get a pseudo spring rate increase)

Or both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. jasyatz

jasyatz Member

I like the ST in HS, Ive been on and off driving a very competitive Mini over the last 3 years. Traded tenths quite a few times this year with the guys in the Top 5 at Nats. Owning a Mini sucks for every other reason than actually driving it. I'll be glad to see something else come in and mix it up.

The FiST compares similarly to the Focus SVT which is already in HS so why not?

And the FoST is a DS car, period.

Smokin and Mightymango like this.
  6. Mightymango

The only one I have seen is the Eibach one for the ST. I'm all for getting whatever and see how it goes, but my season is done in October so it will probably be for next year at this rate.

jimclark and Smokin like this.
  7. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

So mango who are you and which car did you drive?

8. Mightymango

My name is Ryan, I was the short guy that was talking to CrookedRacer for a little bit. I drove an STX WRX on Tues/Wed as a seat was open for me in that car. In hindsight with the domination the twins did in STX I probably should have driven the FiST as I was the fastest WRX but that in STX was good for 49/67. Not bad for my first nats though, in a car I had a total of 6 auto-x runs before nats. It was car #75 in STX on Tues/Wed for reference. It isn't on gotcone as the photographer was running STU.

9. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Ok, I thought you may have been another FoST co-driver like Des. And I'm done making changes for the year. I still have a Rallyx, Blytheville Match tour, a GrandPrix rally and three more regional events. I'll probably get the Eibach bar in March...

10. Mightymango

Nope, but I watching the entire GS field on Thursday (drove home Friday AM)

Smokin likes this.
  11. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

When you change the front sway bar, can you also swap over to adjustable end links? That's the way I read the rules, but I'd like a second opinion.

12. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

My understanding is you can switch both. The eibach bar is 25mm. The Rb bar is 25.5. There are a couple 22mm bars out there too. Is 22mm the stock size?

13. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Our OEM bar is 19 mm. 25 v. 25.5 is only 2% and almost certainly negligible, all other things equal. Modest alloy changes of steel could have much greater affect; I have no idea what specific alloys are used in each. Shape is a factor--cross-sectional and otherwise, esp. at stress points. Lots of stuff. I'm inclined to think the bigger the better for front bar (of those available, anyway), but I'll certainly listen to those with more expertise, experience, etc. If I had to put money in one right now, I'd choose the Eibach front bar along with the Konis and look at running Hankooks. And maybe hope that we'll be moved to HS. Or at least the FoSTs moved up.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  14. Couldahadav8

Eibach 25mm on tirerack 190.00 plus shipping.
    Racing beat 25.5mm 199 plus shipping (3.19x stiffer than stock 19mm mazda2 front swaybar)
    Corksport 22mm 85% stiffer than stock Mazda2 199.99
    Ultra has a 20mm and a 22mm swaybar from what I can see

Is the stock fiesta swaybar a 22mm?

15. Mightymango

Thanks for spelling out Racing Beat....I felt REALLY stupid asking what was Rb. I get a pretty good discount on Tirerack so I will probably go with the front one on there as it looks like the racing beat one. Smokin , any word on when the Konis will be available to the public? I thought changes to the end links in Street was not legal.....off to browse the rules again.

16. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

The regular Fiesta's swaybar is, as I understand it, 22 mm. Dunno about other factors, though.

17. Couldahadav8

The koni site is now selling the struts and shocks for a premium--like800 bucks. If you have a contact at tirerack maybe you could check if they are getting them.

18. Couldahadav8

Everything I find says the end links can be adjustable because they are considered part of the sway bar.

19. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

That's kinda how I read it. Now to figure out if preloading the sway bar is helpful. I'm pretty new at dialing in suspension setup. Does anybody know much about tuning sways?

20. Mightymango

A. Substitution, addition, or removal of a single anti-roll bar and supporting
    hardware (brackets, endlinks, bushings, etc.) is permitted. The
    use of any bushing material is permitted. A bushing may be implemented
    as a bearing.

So I read that as the links are allowed.

Also reading further down

E. If offered by the manufacturer for a particular model and year, the
    use of shims, special bolts, removal of material to enlarge mounting
    holes, and similar methods are allowed and the resulting alignment
    settings are permitted even if outside the normal specification or
    76 — 2015 SCCA® National Solo® Rules
    13. Street
    range of specifications recommended by the manufacturer. If enlarging
    mounting holes is specifically authorized but no material removal
    limits are specified, material removal is restricted to the amount necessary
    to achieve the maximum factory alignment specification.

So....does Ford themselves offer cam bolts yet for alignment adjustment?

Also my contact has no information yet as to when they are going to get the yellows through Tirerack. I'm in no hurry with winter slowly approaching.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  21. Couldahadav8

Thanks for checking on the konis. Ford did camber bolts for the mustangs. Not yet for the fiesta. Maybe they would if we knew who to encourage to do so.