Ideal Setup for G-Stock Class

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by djdennehy, Aug 26, 2014.

1. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

Has anyone tested just swapping in Konis in the rear? I'm wondering if stock fronts plus Koni yellows in the rear might be a good combination?

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Yeah, I did that from mid July to the end of August. That helped get the rear end around but was not as balanced as the whole set is and still had tank slapping slides. BTW, before the RallyX this weekend I checked and had the fronts set at full soft. They were at 1 turn stiff for Day 2 at Nats. So I've been driving around that way with the rears at -3/4 from full stiff. The ride is still better than OEM as I mentioned elsewhere. Now after the RallyX I am going to one turn stiffer fronts for the rest of the year.

BTW2, it's not too late to send you request in to the SCCA solo events board regarding moving the FoST up or the FiST down. I'm all for moving the FiST to H-Street.

BTW3, after RallyX'n this weekend (my third one this year) I'm heavily leaning toward doing a full season Rx next year with Ax taking a back seat. As I have adjustable dampers I would be in Prepared FWD, but it allows things that Street does not. It's more like STX rules. So, adding a CAI, turboback, and that ECU tune thing not to mention camber bolts, I can play and be competitive regionally in STX and really have a ball in Rallycross. Best thing about it other than it's every young boy's dream to grab a car and drive the shit out of it in an open field, is that you get 8-10 runs and they ALL COUNT!!! I practiced left foot braking until I had it down and really could control the car. Screw this hour and a half to do 4 runs crap. :) I'm playing in the dirt!

4. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

One more question, could the mass dampeners be transferred to the Konis if one wanted to do so? Would they make any difference?

5. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

I suppose you could. I didn't and have driven a little over 1000 miles this month and didn't notice any difference.
    All they do is prevent that little tire squibble on the hiway but I never noticed any with my Falkens, Bridgestones or the past few days with the Wintermaxx going to and from a RallyX.

6. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

The other question is whether the mass dampeners are part of the shock. If they have any appreciable weight, whcih I suspect they do, then a letter to the SEB asking for a clarification of their removal might be a wise idea, especially if they are clamped or bolts on rather than welded.

7. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

No they don't have any appreciable weight and they do nothing regarding performance so let sleeping dogs lie....

8. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

The damper is just a box with a small weight suspended in a silicone casing, bolted to a bracket on the strut. Hard to believe it has much of an effect. uploadfromtaptalk1411575508032.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1411575517319.jpg

9. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

I've served on many a Nationals protest committee so I've learned to be very careful to follow the rules. That said it appears to be inconsequential.

10. Jonnyz

Jonnyz Member

Hate to get off topic but I was curious as to what tires you are using for the rallycross events and how does the underside of the car seem to be holding up from the dirt?

11. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

I use 195/55x16 Dunlop Wintermaxx because I like the asymmetrical tread. I wish I got 185/55x16 though and those are what I recommend. So far our RX sites have been fairly smooth, but not dirt road smooth. More like a pasture. The Nebraska region alfalfa RX site had a couple of humps that worried me but didn't seem to bother it. I have the 2jR 3" catback exhaust system too and it hasn't seemed to drag yet. The only thing that worries me is the little black box under the spare tire well. What the hell is that thing anyway?

Jonnyz likes this.
  12. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Speaking of that, the discussion came up this year. Has anybody ever been disqualified for infringements at National events? Didn't one guy post youTube videos of against-the-rules cam and head changes he made to his car and was just told not do it again? Another had struts that did not conform to the stocks struts in size and shape and nothing was done about it. The only one I know about was a GTI entered in STF one year.

13. Jonnyz

Jonnyz Member

That's good to know, the RX place we have out here in Colorado seems pretty smooth as well from the videos I have seen and ya I have no idea what that black box is. Probably Ford spying on us to make sure we drive the car hard enough lol

Smokin likes this.
  14. jasyatz

jasyatz Member

jimclark likes this.
  15. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

That's quite some list of cars apparently moving into HS! Maybe it'll make life more interesting for the Minis! (Except for Reno, probably, but he's wicked good in anything with wheels.)

16. limbo

limbo Active Member

Where are you guys finding the Koni yellows? I don't see them available on Koni's site or on a google?

17. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

They are not "officially" out yet. Smokin has the first set "pre-sale" I'm not worried until say.....April for them.

18. limbo

limbo Active Member

Gotcha, any word on an ETA? I really want them before that so I can test and tune them prior to the Dixie event in March.

19. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

Smokin might know better then I. I checked with my Tirerack rep and they did not know yet. I would be REALLY surprised if they were not out before the end of the year.

20. limbo

limbo Active Member

I hope you're right. Would make a nice xmas present for myself!

21. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

They are on the Koni site, but they show as base Fiesta, not ST. They work on the FiST too.