Ideal Setup for G-Stock Class

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by djdennehy, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

Those have to be modified to fit though don't they?

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Nope. They don't have the bracket for the mass damper, that seems to be the main difference.

4. limbo

limbo Active Member

A little concerned about legality of running without those, is an ST specific front set is coming?

5. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Double checked, apparently the abs bracket is different too. The sensor wire would need to be zip tied in place.

Limbo, sending you a pm.

6. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

I'm with Limbo I would want to have the mass dampeners on there unless I had a letter from the SEB saying it's ok to not have them installed.

7. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Since their only attachment point is to the strut, I think it's fair to say that the mass damper is a part of the strut. In the end, the only way to be sure is to write a letter. The scca is pretty good about responding quickly to rules clarifications.

8. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

I think you're making a bit of a leap there. The question isn't whether they are attached to the strut, it's whether they are part of the strut. The ABS sensor wire is also attached to the strut and is clearly not a part of it.

9. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

I would argue they are dampers which are part of the "damping system", a.k.a. " shock absorbers" which, according to the rules, can be modified.

Their purpose is to dampen certain unwanted frequencies... And their removal or modification is simply a change to the overall function of that shock absorber. That function being... absorbing shock.

Hell, you could probably argue that as long as the mounting point remains the same, you could make that bad boy double-adjustable!

I will be adjusting mine to "zero", both for bump and rebound, thank you!

10. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

I'm not saying you're probably not right, I've just learned that it's best not to make assumptions. Koni made assumptions on their original 2006 NC Miata spring perch design and not only did the SEB make them illegal with their ruling also invalidated a bunch of their other shocks.

11. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

Since I made my struts from stock ones, they still have the tab that holds the additional shock absorber. I can actually put them back on without a fuss.

Sorry, make that WITH a fuss. And with much whining and moaning. And more fussing on principle.

Smokin likes this.
  12. Mightymango

Yeah, Crooked's would be legal as they are made off the stock. I am not going to get the "normal" Fiesta ones and will wait until the "real" ones are out. This weekend is the last event of the year for us.....high temp expected to be 50 degrees....it was 84 last Sunday.

13. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

As I said, the mass damper is only attached to the strut. The abs wire is attached to several points. This is apples and oranges.

If you really want clarity, ask the scca.

14. Mightymango

:rolleyes: Yes that is it. :)

As far as I'm concerned at a national event were a FiST actually beats a Mini...I don't want to have any questions about the strut construction/appearance opening me up for protests.

15. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

16. Mightymango

Exactly my point...I am not going to do it unless they are specifically for the FiST.

17. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

My bad. My app wasn't showing the newer responses like yours. I agree with mango.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

I've worked Protest at the Solo Nationals a half-dozen times and we've tossed many a car for various reasons. Probably the most famous was Andy Hollis that got DSQ'd for valve spring spacers found when checking something else on the engine. It wasn't Andy's fault at all, it was an engine rebuilder trying to help him but unfortunately the rules are clear and despite no one wanting to DSQ him it happened and he lost not just a championship but an entire years worth of contingency that had to be paid back.

I've seen plenty of cars bounced for issues with shock parameters too though if the issue is minor a time penalty might be issued instead or if the change makes things worse (perches too high maybe) then there could be no penalty. This happened to me at the '92 Nationals where all us Miata guys less one, probably a dozen cars, had our rear perches one notch too high.

19. Mightymango

Which again is why I am waiting for the official parts.

This year a few classes on Tuesday had to jack one side of the car with two tires off....which caught a few people off guard. I don't recall any protests in any of the run groups we had drivers in.

20. jasyatz

jasyatz Member

Why not just send Doug an email with pictures? He'll refer it to the STAC and get you a clarification on it as soon as he can. From what I've learned from talking with a Dynamic Powertrain engineer for GM, it's a Harmon frequency balancer. It's used to combat NVH.. Completely non essential and certainly not a performance enhancer. But if you are a dues paying SCCA member, Doug would be more than happy to field your question.

Jeff

21. Mightymango

I have actually considered doing that but just haven't had the time. Switching back to my non-track wheels this week so I will be able to snap some pictures. I agree the piece is non-essential and not a performance enhancer...but people can protest just to do it.