Ideal Setup for G-Stock Class

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by djdennehy, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

No it doesn't. The rubber retainer simply slips into the angled bracket. I'm not a selfie freak so i didn't take any pictures but I will in the next couple of days when I mount my Ax tires.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Ok babies ( not you Crooke) I'll do this for you. I'll take the mass dampers and duct tape it on the stuts. I'll ask Howard or Doug or Brian when I see them in two weeks if that's okay. sheesh...

4. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Yep you'll be waiting forever. These are the ones...

jasyatz likes this.
  5. limbo

limbo Active Member

Does that mean they aren't coming out with st specific shocks? If that's the case we will need to get some clarification from SEB.

6. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

That is what I wanted to know if you had the FiST ones or the "normal" Fiesta ones. Wasn't trying to be a baby either :) Just want to make sure I get the right parts.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  7. Des

Des Active Member

Finally got rear shocks on for last weekend's event -- no bar, 235/40/17 Federals at 42/56 on concrete.

Certainly the shocks made more difference than anything so far, especially in cases where you try to tighten a line mid-corner. It used to just skate forward on the outside front, and it tucked in nicely instead. Not like a Focus, but way better than before, and it you don't have to strain yourself to feel the improvement or be at the top of second gear to find it.

I was about 7/10ths off GS champ Mark Scroggs on a Focus-friendly course -- we ran out of gear, he didn't, and there were three big digs. Dunlops or RS3s would have shaved a little of that off, and a bar/front Konis a bit as well. Within pax noise even if we can't match him head to head.

8. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

This is great news...

jasyatz likes this.
  9. TRev

TRev Member

@Des, How long was the course?

TIA
    Trev

10. Mightymango

Des : Did you have the rears at full stiff?

11. jasyatz

jasyatz Member

MSNE Sunday?

k757 likes this.
  12. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Between my son's football and steal head fishing my season is about over

13. jasyatz

jasyatz Member

That sucks; hate it sometimes when life gets in the way..Did you see Simmons picked one up? I've already got an offer in on it..

Cligedy and Slowclimb like this.
  14. Des

Des Active Member

low 40s -- a little more open on Sunday. I was closer (half a second?) on Saturday. No results posted yet.

Pretty much -- a half turn off.

I can see how wet weather or cold temps would make the car much more lively with this setup.

15. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

I don’t know the Federals as I race on Dunlops but it seems to me that you don’t need rear pressures that high if you’ve stiffened the rear shocks and if you do that is a sign that you need to revalve the shocks to be even stiffer.

16. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

uh yeah, $200 to revalve brand new shocks built for this car or 10 pounds of free air.

Stiffness in the rear is not the issue..........smooth, trailing throttle oversteer with nice slippy rear tires is the issue...
    And this cars works very well with 55+/- psi...

17. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

Alan is right. The right way to do it is with the shocks. End of story. What you are saying is understandable. Within the economic constraints of street solo, you end up pumping up the rear tires instead. Alan knows what he is saying. He's not new to this rodeo. Btw, who does re-valving for only 200 bucks? Sign me up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasyatz likes this.
  18. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

Stiffer shocks and pumped up tires appear to have the same effect to the layman but they don't. When you pump up your tires you reduce the contact patch which in turn helps the car rotate when you turn the wheel. Stiffer rear shocks also help rotation by slowing down the reaction of the rear suspension. The difference comes once you enter a steady state like in a sweeper. Since you've reduced your contact patch in the first example you reduce your grip in steady-state and thus can't maintain as high of a speed as you can with the stiffer shock and a fuller contact patch in the second example.

WScottCross, jasyatz and k757 like this.
  19. Des

Des Active Member

Unfortunately there's never a shop around to rebuild shocks in between runs, like you need them to!

I am too cheap to revalve shocks even before I have run them. I tried pressures as low as 46 in the rear on Day 1.The behavior of the car didn't change much as I bumped pressures up, and while the fastest run came with the rears at 56, I had a bunch a tenth or so off that with lower pressures.

It's entirely possible that a different tire (and for sure a less grippy surface) would bring more skittishness.

Josh brought his car out with a new rear bar (don't know which one), with 235 Dunlops up front and stock tires in the rear, but on the SRT Orange shocks. He was a few tenths slower, and he's a better driver, so I felt like the numbers backed up my impressions that the Yellows were doing what we had hoped.

20. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

With the Dunlops I've settled into 37F/44R which seems to work pretty well at Bremerton and Packwood. It's quite possible I'd want a different setup on concrete though. With stiffer rear shocks I'd probably drop the rears down closer to the fronts. Overall that car is working pretty well as-is however as Glen just nipped me at Bremerton but not by enough to take the PAX title from me :).

jasyatz likes this.
  21. Mightymango

Because I want to be compliant and such I emailed Doug about the struts/ bracket/ dampner deal

Slowclimb, limbo, TRev and 3 others like this.