If you had $1700 to spend on your stock FiST...

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by stuntdoogie, Dec 10, 2013.

1. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

what would you buy right now?

pelotonracer2 likes this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. b17drvr

b17drvr New Member

Suspension and exhaust

4. stuntdoogie

which suspension and exhaust?

5. Removed

Removed Guest

Exhaust, tune, and short shift.

6. Sil3nt611

Sil3nt611 Active Member

All I'd really want to do with mine if I had it is short shift kit and window tint. If I had to spend the remaining money on the car I'd take it to a detailer and have them put on some protective coating on the paint. Otherwise I'd just enjoy it as Ford designed it. Mods just eat up my money and tend to make the car less reliable sometimes. So I'd rather just order exactly what I want on it and leave it stock.

7. stuntdoogie

Clear bra does sound tempting cause I already have a small rock chip on my hood...but damn its so expensive.

8. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I have all the above except the exhaust and that will happen in the spring.

Dave

9. CarefreeAZ

CarefreeAZ Active Member

10. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

I'd rip out the MFT system by the roots and put in something else. There probably isn't anything else, but that doesn't matter.

Just when I think I'm getting used to the MFT, I'll drive my 2004 pickup with a push-button radio and marvel at how easy it is to use. I can operate it by feel alone! No need to focus on the screen and aim my finger precisely at the area I need to, then press three more times because I missed the first two times. Then swerve back into my lane.

Oh, wait! This isn't the, "What I hate about the ST" thread, is it? Sorry...

Noah likes this.
  11. wash

wash Active Member

I'm trying to find a way to spend money but options are limited.

I'm trying to buy brakes but the kits out there are all poor choices or not quite right. Now I'm trying to buy the calipers I want but that could be an issue too.

I would buy a Cobb Accessport but they don't have Accesstuner Race software so I'm waiting on that.

Without a way to tune, buying bolt-ons seems pointless.

The EFR turbo I want is not quite out yet. I would buy a header flange but the manufacturer hasn't returned my email.

I want to do some interior upgrades but Ford sells the door panel as an expensive assembly when I just want an arm rest to mod. Finding a good upholsterer is hard but I want to re-do and add a little leather.

There are a few exterior touches I would like to do but there aren't good OEM style mud "flaps", the rear panel vinyl I want is not being sold yet and no one is making a functional splitter, just a bunch of plastic that only reduce ground clearance.

I want to get wheels and tires but I'm still debating between 16" and 17" and that debate includes wheel weight, tire choices and brake clearance.

I know what I want for suspension but I don't want to buy blind and wind up needing new springs and a re-valve right away.

Any way, its hard to find a place to spend even when the stock market has just increased my budget by about 5k.

Noah likes this.
  12. Mike

Mike Member

A Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader for about 8 hours.

RodMoe likes this.
  13. audiphile

audiphile Member

FTFY :biglaugh:

RodMoe likes this.
  14. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Great out of the box thinking.... ;)

15. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

Exhaust, splitter, intake, and tune. So far, I would go with the MRT exhaust, FSWerks intake, and either Cobb or Mountune tuner. I would not touch the suspension as it is already one of the best handling cars I have driven. The nose sits a little high, so a splitter helps with the optics. The exhaust is very quiet, so that is high on the list of things to do. Intake always is a good option. Tune would be last as I am happy with the performance.

16. CarefreeAZ

CarefreeAZ Active Member

A down payment on an Italian Fiat 500...for errands around town

[​IMG]

17. limbo

limbo Active Member

Wheels and tires, save the rest and wait for some adjustable shocks to be produced

18. b17drvr

b17drvr New Member

FRPP B-spec race suspension kit, MRT rally sport exhaust, Wilwood brakes

19. Zormecteon

Zormecteon Active Member

I bought wheels and tires and a radar detector.

I always marvel at people who buy a car then try to make it go faster, or handle better. If that is your goal, why not buy the faster car to begin with? It's cheaper that way and already sorted. Granted we tend to feel these cars are special and nearly everything written about bears this out, But still one the things that is raved about is the overall balance between handling, braking and power.

I bought all season tires so I can drive in the winter, having crashed a car with Ultra High Performance tires in very light snow. Once.

20. b17drvr

b17drvr New Member

I mod every car I get. Even my truck. It is fun to do.

21. wash

wash Active Member

Every car on the road is a product of compromise.

The Fiesta ST got a custom interior but its only about 50% finished in my opinion, they left out a bunch of details that are not that hard to finish off.

The suspension is nice but $2,000 for very nice coilovers was not in the budget (and won't upset the balance if valved properly).

The engine is nice but an old 1600 twin cam from the 70s can rev to 9,000+ while our 1.6 only does 6,350. A bigger turbo and fuel system should allow full boost until at least 7,000 with a lot more power. More power at high rpm won't upset the balance either.

The brakes are typical OEM stuff, inexpensive and designed for ~200,000 mile durability. An upgrade can reduce mass, increase brake torque which you can use if you get sticky tires and won't upset any balance.

You can mess up the balance of a car if you change the roll centers, roll stiffness, steering geometry, add too much grip on one end or just screw up the alignment.

If you upgrade correctly, it will just be better.